Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
we are heading to Athens in the next few days and have noted down a few places to stay but wondered if anyone had any recommendation? Thank you in advance.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I've no idea about campsites but as the traffic in Athens is manic, go for a site that is on the metro line.
http://greeklandscapes.com/images/maps/athens-metro-map.jpg
Kifissia is on the the green line but it is quite a way out of the centre. There again I don't suppose you can expect to find a campsite in the middle of a capital city.
Glenn and I were in Athens last November and really enjoyed ourselves. If you can do Delphi after Athens I recommend it.

OP
OP
Our Bumble

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
@Hils and Glenns thank you so much. We have a little motorbike, so parking out the city and travelling in is not a problem.

We are travelling down from Mateora, so planning to do Delphi first then Athens. Do you have any recommended sites for here?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Bumble. I'm very jealous of your trip. There are a couple of campsites near Delphi, but I don't know what they're like. They won't be flat that's for sure.
When we went there we were in the car. We stayed in a B and B in a lovely little town called Galaxidi. It is about 30 mins from Delphi on the coast. I think you would be able to wild camp there. We saw a couple of vans there on the other side of the harbour where there is a woodland ish park. Get to Delphi early as it gets busy when the trips from Athens turn up. When we were there in November it was quiet and the weather was glorious. But there isn't much parking. You get in to all the sites for half price if you're over 65 but you have to show proof.
You're brave to consider Athens on a motorbike. The metro in Athens is very good and very cheap. If you are an oap like us you can travel for an hour for 60 cents otherwise its 1e.20c

OP
OP
Our Bumble

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
@Hils and Glenns very useful, thank you. We've been in Greece for 3 weeks and loving it to bits, it is amazing. Halkidiki just simply breath taking and like your trip, very quiet.

We often zip around a capital late at night, so we can get our bearings. We find it best time to see where things are and where to park the motorbike.

Unfortunately, we dont have our OAP passes as of yet but working towards them x Thanks again for your help, really appreciated.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
We often zip around a capital late at night, so we can get our bearings. We find it best time to see where things are and where to park the motorbike.
Well best of luck with that Bumble. Athens is the city that never sleeps. Athenians are only just getting going at 2 in the morning. lol. I love it though I lived there for 5 years in the 70s. I went back last November for the first time in 35 years and it hadn't changed a bit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back