ObiVanKenobi

Free Member
May 14, 2013
St Andrews
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Hello, we are just about to stay on a French campsite for the winter but we are unsure of how many Amps we need. Basically they offer everything from 2 - 10 amps, we hope to run the following:

Fridge, LED internal lights, water pump etc but the main concern is our whale heater which has setting of 500, 1000 and 2000 W. So far I've managed to attain that the 2000W setting will take approx 8.7A but it would be good to be sure, hence the post?

Additionally could anyone just confirm what the campsite Amps refers to, I.e is it 10A per day or 10A per start up of appliance etc?

Any info appreciated, Thanks in advance

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hello, we are just about to stay on a French campsite for the winter but we are unsure of how many Amps we need. Basically they offer everything from 2 - 10 amps, we hope to run the following:

Fridge, LED internal lights, water pump etc but the main concern is our whale heater which has setting of 500, 1000 and 2000 W. So far I've managed to attain that the [HI]2000W setting will take approx 8.7A[/HI] but it would be good to be sure, hence the post?

Additionally could anyone just confirm what the campsite Amps refers to, I.e is it 10A per day or 10A per start up of appliance etc?

You will need 10amp

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The amps are what you can "pull at 1 time"..... So you will need a 10amp supply if you want to use the heater.. You will have a continual 10amps.. Draw more than that ie heater and electric kettle on and the trip (if they have one) will go,...

Check what they are charging for power.. You 2000 heater = 2kw... This is based on time..
So heater on at 2000w = 2kw of power used... 2 hours = 4kw etc..

You could run up a big bill if they have a high fee per KW and you overuse it...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
10 amps supply

Fridge, LED internal lights, water pump etc but the main concern is our whale heater which has setting of 500, 1000 and 2000 W. So far I've managed to attain that the 2000W setting will take approx 8.7A but it would be good to be sure, hence the post?

10 amps = the maximum amps at any one time. It may let you go over slightly whilst things start up but thats the maximum continuous load at any one time throughout the day.

In my van when I first plug in the charger takes a lot of amps but this soon settles out to about 1/2 amp. With 10 amps I would set the heating on electric only - that would be another 4-5 amps. (But only when it is heating water and the van, not when everything is up to temp).

The electric ring on the cooker is about 3 amps.

Television/sat system is probably 2 amps

They all add up to a max of ten for your hook up.

So if you put the hair dryer on it would probably trigger the breaker and you will need to reset it.

I think I have that right but if not someone with more knowledge will put me right. :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
O

ObiVanKenobi

Free Member
May 14, 2013
St Andrews
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
That all sounds about right, I believe they don't charge for the usage eg KW per hour but I will certainly check.
thanks for the replies, it's cleared up what I need/don't need

Steve

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Most modern continuously rated electricity supplies usually take account of 'diversity factor'. The assumption is that you won't have all your electric appliances on at the same time hence you won't overload the sappily 10 Amps in this case. However, on occasions you may have the heating on, switch the kettle on and unbeknowns to you, the fridge thermostat kicks in and bingo you pop the MCB. The clue is moderate what you use if possible :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
An ammeter might be a useful thing to have fitted. There is one in our van to say what the solar panel is doing but nothing to show what current the van is drawing when plugged in.
They used to be common in cars but not any more.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back