Campsite 2pm to 11am charges.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ChocNessie, Apr 19, 2013.

1. ChocNessie

ChocNessie Read Only Funster

We travel a lot with our motorhome both locally during school term time and more widely across the UK and Europe in the holidays.

What I find frustrating is being charged for a full fee if we arrive at say 6pm and leave next day at say 8am
    Or
    Having to pay for 3 nights if we go for a weekend in term time and arrive at 6pm on Friday and leave at 4pm on Sunday - a total of 46 hours. If the kids are in school, even picking them up in the MH, we can't set off until 4pm so it is impossible to arrive by noon or 2pm and the first afternoon is lost

It is ok for caravans (and motorhomes) when you are staying for a week or two, but if you are touring or short staying I think Campsite owners should consider a "Touring Tariff" . I mean it is not as if they have to clean the room or make the beds.

Why not have a "Sleep Over" tariff for people who are touring - we are forced to use campsites in this country as it is illegal to sleep in lay-bys and we have no real Aires yet. (I know there are a few night stays starting up)

I have talked to loads of local sites about turning up at 6pm on a Friday and leaving at 4pm on a Sunday during School TERMTIME only, when they are quiet and only paying for 2 days - do you know how many said yes, no problem ................ 2 yes two...... A couple of others said yes but you have to pay a £10 late stay fee for the Sunday.

I mean - I have to pay for Friday for which we get there in time for tea and the kids get an hours play and we have to pay either a whole day or a fee for 4 hours on the Sunday or leave before there is time to do much more than breakfast. At some sites round here that means paying £50 for a Saturday day out or £75 if we stay til Sunday afternoon.

At that price we just wouldn't go and both we and the site looses out.

Luckily we have 2 sites that let us stay til Sunday teatime for the 2 nite charge and we use them lots during school time.

I think we Motorhomers should lobby all our favourite campsites to provide a better deal for proper tourers and weekend getaways.

I do understand that the big parks with entertainment and holiday park facilities need their weekly bookings and time slots etc, but surely they could put 4 or 5 pitches to one side for tourers and the weekend breaks would only be out of season during school time. At the end of the day they will get more business by offering these services and good services lead to good recommendations and more business.

I for one would go more often if the price was more reasonable.

What does everyone else think?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Sidney

Sidney Funster

I feel your pain.

However I'm guessing that you get something from staying on these campsites otherwise you'd be staying on Caravan Club CL or Camping & Caravan Club CS sites and saving money.

BTW - "...it is illegal to sleep in lay-bys" is incorrect. But I'd imagine this wouldn't be a whole load of fun for the kids anyway?

• Like Like x 1
  3. chaser

chaser Funster

Sounds as if you want to be joining Britstops or if you are in the "clubs" have a look at the meets that they have , usually between £5and10 a night

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jill

Jill Funster

I know what you mean. We use ours a lot for cycling events and get to the area 7-8pm and are usually at the hq by 9am in the morning (if not earlier). We used to use sites but now we just find a suitable layby rather than fork out £20 for basically overnight parking as we never use the toilets or showers.

I'm sure there are French sites that are part of a stopover system where you pay a reduced fee if you arrive after 6 and are gone by 10.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ChocNessie

??? What do you mean - what lay-bys have you seen that allow a motorhome or Caravan over night - 99% of lay-bys we have seen say "strictly NO CAMPING or NO overnight sleeping"
    I know there are odd lay-bys that you can sleep in but they are not very frequent and unlikely to be in the right place for anybody's journey. We would usr them like we do in France when we want to cover mileage quickly.

6. ChocNessie

Yes - in France they are called Aires - most are free to around 4Euros and some have elec hookup for few hours to top up batteries etc. There are several books around that list them. They are frequent enough that you never have to go far out of your way to find one
    Plus there is the French Passion scheme where you buy the book but then can stay for free at any of the 1700 or so listed stopover for one night.

7. ChocNessie

Thanks - I had not heard of Britstops.

8. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

Hi, you can sleep overnight in a Lay bye, as long as you leave your sidelights on legally but most people don't bother and most police don't bother either, also you are legally allowed to overnight in a P for parking type of lay bye without light on, this is what they are designed for, and I have been sleeping in lay bye's and P parking area's for over 40 years and never once have I been moved on or nicked for no lights, or overnight parking as long as you park sensibly and safely, so if you leave on a Friday afternoon, you can save the cost of a night in the camp site an arrive in morning ready for your break if you just want to sleep. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

• Like Like x 2
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

What I think won't change anything, and it may not be what you want to hear.. but since you ask.. just a few thoughts..

Pitches are let for a 24hr period, normally Noon to Noon, so whether you stay for 24hrs or 14hrs . the cost to the site is the same. You will still dump waste, fill with water and use the EHU. and occupy a pitch.

Some sites do have overnight areas, this is provided for late comers/early leavers in order that they don't disturb others .. they have full use of services and an EHU but it is not at a reduced cost .

Camping sites are businesses, if they saw your idea as a potential money maker they would jump on it.. clearly most of the ones you asked don't.

I think it is unreasonable to expect site owners to reduce their income because you want to arrive late/leave early. It's like asking for a concession at the cinema because you don't want to watch the full movie.

• Like Like x 7
  10. ChocNessie

Many thanks - I agree 100% that that is what lay-bys were built for and I have got away with it on my own in the car. So, why do all the ones in Devon specifically say No Overnight Camping. Technically you can't even make a cuppa as you are not allowed to turn on the gas...... You can have the gas on while moving but you have to turn it off in a public lay-by.

11. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

Here in France the Fédération française de camping et de caravaning (FFCC) have just such a scheme. It is "Stop Accueil" (stop and welcome) and for those who arrive after 6pm and leave by 10am there is a special rate, this year around 9 euros plus ehu if required. There is a modest subscription and a booklet that shows the 500+ sites that are linked to the scheme, which covers a motorhome or car/caravan and two people.

Other than that it is difficult to quantify any realistic saving for those who arrive late and leave early. The site has to be manned 24/7, and most guests have a shower, use the loos and so on - these apply whenever guests arrive or leave.

Our charge for a night allowing for the Funster discount is only 10,80€ (just over £9) for a motorhome and two people, or 14,40€ with ehu, and for the life of me I cannot see that we can get this down. As an example, we have just been notified of the price for the annual water inspection (it works out at about 25 nights at the 14,40€ rate) and we will soon have the price for the annual electiricty inspection (last year about 33 nights at the 14,40€ rate). So there is nearly 60 nights from which we get nothing. :cry:

No, its not a moan, as we love the life here, and are always delighted to meet our guests whether short- or long-stay. It is a beautiful area, with much to see and do, and there will always be a special welcome for Funsters.
    Bob
    www.parcverger.com

• Like Like x 2
  12. ChocNessie

are
    I do see your point which is why I said I only ask sites in out of season periods.
    It is not that I want to watch half a movie - it is that I can't during term time as the kids do not finish Friday until 15:40 for my eldest and I can't stay til Monday.
    As for the pitch noon til noon yes and the cost is based on me producing 24 hours of rubbish, using 24 hours of toilets and water and 24 hours of electricity on the EHU. You are saying that even if I only use the services for 12 hours I should still pay for the full 24.
    What my local site realise is that I am staying 46 hours and charge me accordingly and don't expect me to pay for 72 hours.
    This means they get more business during quite times whilst kids are still at school.

Some site owners are too shortsighted or greedy to see this potential.

I am quite happy to pay noon to noon for weekends during the holidays when I can get there for noon and stay til the following noon.

Same principle with the sleep over - the site calculates the charge for 24 hours of electricity, use of facilities by kids etc and charge me for it all. In reality we will use less than 12 hours and be gone - we won't fill up with water as pointless wasting fuel carrying extra weight.

So no I am sorry - sites are greedy and charging me for stuff I can't possibly use!!

• Like Like x 2
  13. ChocNessie

Thanks Bob - but you are a prime example of a great site.
    Some places we looked at in France last summer wanted nearly 60€ per night for MH, 2 adults, 3 kids and EHU.
    We love touring in France because of the Aires and the smaller friendlier sites that are not greedy. We often return to the nicest ones.
    20-25€ for a family stay is great (14.40€ for 2 adults) so please don't think I am including sites like yours.

Good luck with the inspections
    Richard

14. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Overnight stays - 6pm to 8am is the most costly period in a day for the site.

You arrive, connect EHU, make hot drinks, cook evening meal, maybe heat the van overnight, make hot drinks and breakfast in the morning.

All night lights will be on around the site, in toilets and sometimes at emptying points.

I wouldn't want to run a site myself and I can't see that owners are making a fortune...............
    :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  15. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

I note that some of the posts say 24hrs but many sites are now arrival 2pm and off by 10am and that I find very annoying, also if you only use the EH and your own showers etc should you not get a discount for NOT using the full facilities. yes use water a CDP but no work for site warden.
    The debate could go on and on, you just need to pick and choose your sites, I am stopping at one outside Stirling on my way back from trip to my daughters in Coventry May Bank holiday weekend and am getting to stay till 5pm on the Wednesday as I have a business meeting and tying the 2 together, NO extra charge and DO NOT have to move MH to a car park. (taxi to meeting 3 miles ) so my wife can stay on site.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ChocNessie

R
    You are absolutely right - we do choose sites that are happy to help.
    And you raise a very good point as we also have our own shower and use less site resources than most but as you say pay the full charge.
    Thanks and have a good trip.

17. lorger

lorger Funster

We are in the same boat as Sophie is still at school and Lorraine work at the school so can't leave until after four on a Friday, so as mentioned we tend to use CL's and or wildcamp depending on what area we are visiting.

18. ChocNessie

True - but we have gas cooker/hob for cooking and kettle.
    Also gas heating.
    So that places NO RESOUCE on the site owner.
    The night light cost is shared between all guests - I doubt the cost per pitch is much with low energy bulbs and most toilet block lights are on movement sensors these days so are off most of the night. Plus my lot use the loo in the van at night and expect me to empty their deposits in the morning :cry:

I still think when it boils down to it us Motorhomers are consistently overcharged when we are doing what Motorhomes were built for.

• Like Like x 2
  19. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

These sites put on all the facilities for all types of campers, because you want to pick the bits out you want ,you can`t expect the owners to drop the price.

Can i just drive past a site in my car everyday, and use their loos for free- -no.

You can`t expect to park on some elses property which is designed for a pupose and get away with it.

Park in a layby, its free all day.

• Like Like x 6
  20. JJ

JJ Funster

I always smile when I read you are "not allowed to" overnight in laybys or even make a cup of tea etc...

I wonder to myself what I did for over twenty years of living in my van (avoiding camp sites like the plague.)

Has anyone on here got into trouble brewing up in their van?

Anyone at all?

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 4