"Camping" Tyres for Motorhomes? (1 Viewer)

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
It has just been suggested to me that motorhomes should have tyres with the word "Camping" etched into the rubber wall. I was told that in the event of an accident, insurance assesors would look to see wether the appropriate tyres were fitted to the motorhome and if not would probably deny any claim.

Has anyone ever had any experience of this, and if so what was the outcome?

My vehicle handbook only explains the tyre size for my motorhome and there is no mention of the word " Camping".

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Lots of posts on here regarding "camping" tyres being made of different compounds, varying strength sidewalls and designed to spend lots of time "standing"
Think the gist of it is that tyre manufacturers put the word "Camping" on a tyre so they can charge more for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Check any special requirements section of your policy.
Speak to the "help" desk and seek confirmation, and get their answer/advice in writing by mail/email or fax/text etc.

Bryan

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I'm with SJL on this. Camping tyres are made differently with tougher sidewalls to resist the strains of being fuly loaded all the time and spending long periods parked in one spot. Are they worth the extra cost? Dunno but I guess it depends more on your useage patterns rather than whether they're fitted to a camper or not. A vehicle in regular use will probably be perfectly ok on normal light commercial van tyres with an appropriate load rating. A van that spends long periods parked up, especially if its in direct sunlight may benefit from having the camping tyres fitted. What I do know for fact is there is much more choice of tyre available in the normal light commercial ranges than there is in "camping" specific tyres.

D.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Who said it should say camping??

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I agree with earlier posts. I've never had Camping Tyres and they were not fitted originally by Hymer. Mine left the Hymer factory with the same Continental tyres that Mercedes had fitted when it left theirs.

Normal commercial tyres are marked with a 'C' as in 225 70 R15 C 112/110. In case you are not aware of the meaning of the sequence: 225 70 is the tyre size and profile; R15 is the wheel diameter in inches; C = Commercial; 112/110 is the load index 112 refers to single tyre use / 110 if twinned on a rear axle.

Camping tyres are referred to as Camping Pneus (French) - hence they are marked CP instead of C.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
When enquiring about insurance you may asked if the vehicle has been modified. Changing tyre type MAY be classed as a modification. I'm sure that many tyres are acceptable when it comes to axle loading etc; it's all about the small print.

Similarly "toads"; many insurance companies will not insure your car when being towed, but they don't tell you that, that's your responsibility. Even on a trailer cars are not insured as they are not being driven. It's all in the small print or is it me who just likes to be sure. Check first!

OP
OP
cydersyd

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Check any special requirements section insurance paperwork.f your policy.
Speak to the "help" desk and seek confirmation, and get their answer/advice in writing by mail/email or fax/text etc.

Bryan
Thanks for that, I am planning to write soon after I have read the small print of the Insurance documents.

OP
OP
cydersyd

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
I agree with earlier posts. I've never had Camping Tyres and they were not fitted originally by Hymer. Mine left the Hymer factory with the same Continental tyres that Mercedes had fitted when it left theirs.

Normal commercial tyres are marked with a 'C' as in 225 70 R15 C 112/110. In case you are not aware of the meaning of the sequence: 225 70 is the tyre size and profile; R15 is the wheel diameter in inches; C = Commercial; 112/110 is the load index 112 refers to single tyre use / 110 if twinned on a rear axle.

Camping tyres are referred to as Camping Pneus (French) - hence they are marked CP instead of C.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back