"Camping" Tyres for Motorhomes?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by cydersyd, Feb 22, 2015.

1. cydersyd

cydersyd Funster

It has just been suggested to me that motorhomes should have tyres with the word "Camping" etched into the rubber wall. I was told that in the event of an accident, insurance assesors would look to see wether the appropriate tyres were fitted to the motorhome and if not would probably deny any claim.

Has anyone ever had any experience of this, and if so what was the outcome?

My vehicle handbook only explains the tyre size for my motorhome and there is no mention of the word " Camping".

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Provided the tyres are the correct size and load rating for your van..
    I'm going to stick my neck out here are say that's a load of b****x

I await to be lambasted ..

runs for cover.. :imoutahere:

• Like Like x 1
  3. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Lots of posts on here regarding "camping" tyres being made of different compounds, varying strength sidewalls and designed to spend lots of time "standing"
    Think the gist of it is that tyre manufacturers put the word "Camping" on a tyre so they can charge more for it.

4. bryandh

bryandh Funster

Check any special requirements section of your policy.
    Speak to the "help" desk and seek confirmation, and get their answer/advice in writing by mail/email or fax/text etc.

Bryan

• Like Like x 2
  5. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

I'm with SJL on this. Camping tyres are made differently with tougher sidewalls to resist the strains of being fuly loaded all the time and spending long periods parked in one spot. Are they worth the extra cost? Dunno but I guess it depends more on your useage patterns rather than whether they're fitted to a camper or not. A vehicle in regular use will probably be perfectly ok on normal light commercial van tyres with an appropriate load rating. A van that spends long periods parked up, especially if its in direct sunlight may benefit from having the camping tyres fitted. What I do know for fact is there is much more choice of tyre available in the normal light commercial ranges than there is in "camping" specific tyres.

D.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Who said it should say camping??

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I agree with earlier posts. I've never had Camping Tyres and they were not fitted originally by Hymer. Mine left the Hymer factory with the same Continental tyres that Mercedes had fitted when it left theirs.

Normal commercial tyres are marked with a 'C' as in 225 70 R15 C 112/110. In case you are not aware of the meaning of the sequence: 225 70 is the tyre size and profile; R15 is the wheel diameter in inches; C = Commercial; 112/110 is the load index 112 refers to single tyre use / 110 if twinned on a rear axle.

Camping tyres are referred to as Camping Pneus (French) - hence they are marked CP instead of C.

• Like Like x 1
  8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

some marketing exec with shares in Michelin :rolleyes:

9. schojac

schojac Read Only Funster

When enquiring about insurance you may asked if the vehicle has been modified. Changing tyre type MAY be classed as a modification. I'm sure that many tyres are acceptable when it comes to axle loading etc; it's all about the small print.

Similarly "toads"; many insurance companies will not insure your car when being towed, but they don't tell you that, that's your responsibility. Even on a trailer cars are not insured as they are not being driven. It's all in the small print or is it me who just likes to be sure. Check first!

• Like Like x 1
  10. cydersyd

cydersyd Funster

A neighbour who has "Camping" on his tyres.

11. cydersyd

cydersyd Funster

Thanks for that, I am planning to write soon after I have read the small print of the Insurance documents.

12. cydersyd

cydersyd Funster