Camping near Dune Du Pilat

Discussion in 'France' started by LeeFrancis76, Jun 4, 2016.

1. LeeFrancis76

LeeFrancis76 Funster

Hi All,

I may have left this a bit late, but, on out holiday to France in the late July to august, I want us to stay as near as possible to the Dune Du Pilat. But only for 2 nights.
    It seems most campsites only take week long bookings which doesn't work for us. So we are thinking Aires, but there are none near that do overnight stays. and also the problem of getting there and them being full.

I could really do with some advice to help me find somewhere to stay near there.

has anyone stayed there before or recently?

or any other suggestions? I want to able to spend the days at the dunes with out too much hassle to get there and park in the MH.

Thanks
    Lee

2. Gazza333

Gazza333 Funster

Don't forget you can park for the day in there car park and then move on later if need be. We parked our motorhome there last year during the day

3. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

We drove past it a couple of years ago and noticed a campsite right next to the pile of sand, there were also loads of vans in motor home section of the car park.

4. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

There are loads of campsites all along the main road. I stayed on one of them in high season, just for a couple of nights. Just pull in and ask. The French rarely turn away paying customers.
    I think you can stay in the car park overnight. I also stopped overnight in a forest not far away, and although it said no overnight I stayed next to the lake at Bicarosse. If I'd been challenged I was going to feign migraine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we have also used panorama du pyla in summer, and a couple of times out of season, right in the dunes

IMG_0539.JPG IMG_0540.JPG

camp site right in dunes, popular and expensive restaurant on site with sea views

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

all taken from camp site, remember now why I have been back a few times :)(y)

• Like Like x 3
  6. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

edit to above, we also only stopped for a few days each visit, I am also sure there is an aire right under the dunes as well, but a seriously steep climb to the top, it is high enough from the camp site, but you are at least part way up already (y)

also the sun will go down pretty early right under the dunes, even in summer could get cold

7. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. LeeFrancis76

LeeFrancis76 Funster

Thanks guys, I contacted one of the campsites and it says 7 days minimum. The Aire right by the dunes(according to "All the Aires" book) is day times only, with a 40 euro fine for overnight, which actually works out better value than any of the campsites if they have space!
    Its my first time in the MH in france so I am a little anxious about ending up with nothing if we get there.

thanks
    Lee

9. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Last time we went the Dune car park didn't allow overnighting, but it was about 4 years ago.

We stopped in the forest aire at Biscarrosse-Plage (a few miles to the south), then drove up nearer to the dune and parked somewhere at the roadside near an access point to the dune. If you're feeling particularly energetic in the summer heat you can cycle to Pyla along a track from Biscarrosse-Plage.

The Biscarrosse-Plage aire is popular in summer but is also big - arrival around mid-day ought to guarantee you a space. If desperate, overnight parking in at least one of the supermarket car parks at Biscarrosse-Bourg up the road is tolerated.