Camping Cheque Think First

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wiljoy, May 17, 2015.

1. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

Am travelling through Spain and France using Aires where possible but campsites sometimes. I normally use Camping Cheques but this year have been shocked at how much discount can be had by offering cash instead. We had the need to spend 7 nights on a site and they did it 26 euros cheaper. Another site was offering 15 nights with a 70 euro discount for cash. Makes the Camping Cheque and ACSI appear a rip off. We have always received an exchange rate of at least 1.41 which makes a £14.95 cost over 20 euros. We have used Camping Cheques for over 15 years now but it's really not worth it now as they appear to be keeping there prices high. Don't be frightened to ask you've nothing to lose but a saving to be made.

• Like Like x 6
  2. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Most sites in Spain give discounts for longer stays, some ACSI discount scheme sites give 7 for 6.

I have never used camping cheques don't see the point in paying up front, could be useful as part of a ferry deal through one of the clubs though.

The ACSI discount scheme is excellent, especially in Spain where one night stops can be very expensive.

3. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

It was in Spain where the discount was given. A german couple next to us had ACSI and for three weeks they saved 78 euros on the ACSI price.

4. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

We use Acsi a lot just spent 5 days in Jesolo on the beach near Venice for 15 euros a night. Never thought to ask for a cash price will do in Florence next week have noticed Acsi getting more and more expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  5. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

On an ACSI site at the moment and the price to everyone is the same as we are paying
    Been using the card for the last 3 weeks and only difference against site lie season prices has been if we wanted 10amp EHU instead of 6amp

6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

This will be our last year of getting an ACSI book ( unless we end up getting another one in a deal price for the ferry again )

It USED to be well worth having but sad to say we have not used it for a few years now even though the card is in the van.. A few words and you can save a lot more than using the ACSI card .. Shame really as it used to be so good.

7. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

The old adage stands...
    "Cash is King"
    Always was, always wil be.... I've always carry quite a bit.... "just in case"

• Like Like x 2
  8. beacons

beacons Funster

We always use cash its amazing how many discounts you can get just by asking nicely
    if you don't ask you don't get.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ovalball

Ovalball Funster

My sole reason for using camping cheques is for the ferry price between Hull and Zebrugge,always far cheaper than CC ,C and CC etc.Otherwise we wouldn't bother with them now.

10. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Here & Germany always.

11. matamoros

matamoros Funster

The long stay rate on Spanish sites will nearly always be cheaper than the ACSI rate whether paid in cash or by card in my experience.

12. matamoros

matamoros Funster

This has not been my experience, if that was the case I would be contacting ACSI.

I have just driven from the Eastern Algarve to the east coast of Spain and through France to southern Brittany, these are the relative costs of sites and savings:

Camping Albolafia, Cordoba......................................Standard €25.50.......ACSI €18....saving €7.50
    http://www.campingalbolafia.com/camping-english/tarifas.php

Camping Los Batanes(2 nights).................................Standard €23.50.........ACSI €18....saving €11.00

Camping Playa Tropicana(3 nights).......................Standard €24.50........ACSI €18.....saving €20.50

Two sites in France the saving was around €5.50 per night.

Total savings on the trip.......€50, I think the scheme works for me. I paid the one night stops in cash but did not ask for a discount which may have been possible, I do not usually like haggling over prices.

13. chaser

chaser Funster

We had it last year and have got it again this year, don't use it much and the camps we did use it on had got the same price advertised on the board outside for anyone just drawing up, but at less than a tenner, it's worth it to know where the camps are.

14. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

You can have ACSI and always ask for a cash deal as well for longer stays. We used ACSI on a site and got 7 days for 5 paid. Terriffic site 90€ for a week, right on the beach at La Turballe.
    Phil