Camping card ASCI ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Charlie, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Sure this has been mentioned before but is this card really worth getting ? We are looking at doing our first Euro trip and a Pal who I visited today said its a must !
    It is so easy to get into buying many memberships and cards so I though it worth asking .

Thanks.

2. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

It is an out of season thing, and if you plan to use camp sites then it is a must.

:cooler:

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Not in August but most of the rest of the time, pays for itself in two stops.

4. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

We used it in June for our first trip to France in the van, definitely worth it based on the discount you can get at participating campsites.

5. Phill D

Phill D

short answer is yes if you intend to travel outside mid July to end August.. worth every cent.

6. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Just tried to order and pay for the card . We travel the 3oth of August so will it be ok for then ?

Anyway the site tells me there are no copies of the handbook left for 2015. It tells me to try the C&CC where I tried to order it there but failed miserably as I cannot seem to order anything on that ridiculously complex website. That is the site where I tried for several hours to book a ferry with the same results.

Can anyone please point me to a resource where I can buy the book and the card ?

Thanks again .

7. Viennese

Viennese Funster

8. Abacist

Abacist Funster

Just for information to set the record straight there are 2 ACSI cards.

One is like a Camping Card International which contains your passport details printed on it and can be used instead of handing your passport over in campsites for identification. It also provides third party liability insurance in case you or yours cause any damage to anyone else whilst camping.

The other is a discount card that you get when you buy the ACSI annual camp site books and the card will get you off peak discounts at affiliated sites.

Charlie I have the 2015 books and discount card but I have filled in my details onto the card as I needed it in June when I was away but won't be going away again this year. Happy to sell them to you plus whatever the postage costs if you can't get yourself a set.

9. Lee Fryer

Lee Fryer Funster

10. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

Strangely, the card runs from 01/01 to 31/12 when most of us are out on our winter tour, making replacement a bit tricky.

:cooler:

11. Charlie

Charlie Funster

It is the one where passport details are recorded.

My pal Em Told me most of the campsites in France will not require us to deposit our passports with them if we have the card.. So this is the one we would like.

If you have recorded your details then it would be no use to us but thanks anyway..

12. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

13. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

If you are going to use it to get discounts from the sites then it is the card which comes with the books that you need. I have rarely been asked for a passport and if I have it has been copied, I have never left my passport with any campsite.

14. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

weve just bought the card but had to have the books in Dutch. Thankfully we are travelling with funsters who have the English version.

Hope we've bought the right asci it's the green one with cc on it.

15. Ethle the wondervan

Ethle the wondervan

No.
    Not worth having. Just one more hassle restricting your freedom if you are determined to use participating sites.

I can't believe some of you tight fisted ****'s. You pay half the gross national product of a small planet for a van with a mattress and a bog and yet you try to save a few shekels on site facilities which cost a bloody fortune to set up and run!

What's wrong with paying a fair price?

OOOOOOooooooohhhh! Poo:envy:

16. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

And breathe....

I suspect many, like us, probably use a combination of aires, ACSI sites and non-ACSI sites. Having the card is not a restriction, it is an option. In fact we by chance found participating sites rather than targeting them.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Abacist

Abacist Funster

This is an off-peak incentive to encourage visitors to ACSI affiliated sites.

When you go to Tesco's or wherever do never take advantage of goods offered at reduced prices to club card members etc. or do you return the Tesco vouchers?

If someone offers you a discount do you turn it down - I doubt it!

This card is very useful and significant savings can be had freely given by the camp sites who like to have more business at off-peak times.

This is supposed to be a FUN site but you seem to have got out of your bed on the wrong side!

• Like Like x 1
  18. chaser

chaser Funster

We have acsi but found that most of the campsites would give you the same discount whether you have the card or not but for what it costs it's worth it for the books that tell you where the sites are;)

19. Sue

Sue Funster

I got one from vicarious books 2 days ago

20. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Blimey....

I thought the card was to point us in the direction of sites that had been vetted in some way.
    For us newbies and to be honest somewhat nervous and daunted as this is our first trip over the water having some kind of assurance is quite a comfort.

What I / we are not trying to do I'd freeload. I'm one of those who gladly buys our eggs milk and produce local rather than from far king rotten supermarket who robs those who produce said goods.

I like and value mixed opinions and am not shy if it comes to an argument but bloody hell some of the above is going a bit far.

A chap said to me once.... Don't say nowt on the tinternet you would not say to someone in the pub..

There really are some ace people here on this forum. Sadly I doubt I will be around long enough to either benefit or reciprocate.

Life's way to short for bickering and flaming arguing..

• Like Like x 6