Camping & Caravan Club: Site Facilities ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Sep 11, 2010.

?

How do you rate the toilet and shower facilities on a Camping and Caravan Club site

1. Excellent

17 vote(s)
    35.4%
  2. Very Good

16 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Good

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Poor or below average

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Having seldom used club sites I would like to ask club members of your opinion of the C&CC sites showering and toilet facilities .. . are they generally modern and kept clean ?

This is purely personal interest, we have been camping this past season and have visited six private sites around Scotland and Norfolk but to be blunt about it the facilities leave a lot to be desired... old fashioned, over crowded and dirty has been our experience ..

So we were thinking on rejoining the C&CC .. is it worth it , are the washing and toilet facilities good ?

I have attached a poll .. thank you for reading and taking time to reply and vote

2. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

Jim

We have found them good and clean overall but some are dated.
    Not used a site this year although still members of both CC and C&CC, used cl's instead.

Quite often we use the Motorhome to shower for convenience

Steve

3. keith

keith Funster

Jim, I have always found the C&CC sites to be good but not quite up to the standard of the CC, but you have to pay through the nose for those. :Sad:

At least you get oldies discount from C&CC, and on many sites you don't have to have electric included in the fee.

4. scotjimland

thanks Steve.. that's good to know.

we were appalled at some of the ones we saw this year .. and not on cheap sites either .

5. scotjimland

Thanks Keith .. much as I expected , it would be hard to beat CC sites ..

thanks for reminding me I qualify for a discount on C&C club ... :Laughing:

6. sandyketton

sandyketton Read Only Funster

Jim,
    I have stayed on three different C&CC sites this week.
    One was excellent, almost to CC standard and ultra clean : however there were six wardens there.
    Another was good , and the third is tired and dated.
    They are all a little dated but all individual, so generally I think it is difficult to judge the overall quality or otherwise of C&CC wash facilities.
    Sandy

7. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Jim

With the wife being disabled we tend to use C&CC if available, and buy and large they are normally of reasonable quality, worst criticism is that some are a bit dated. Some of the ones that have recently been updated can almost match CC standard, but without the cost factor as we get the age discount.

Don't think that I have ever seen one that I would call dirty.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

8. scotjimland

Thanks Sandy ..

yes I appreciate that it's difficult to give an overall opinion ..

CC sites which seem to have a benchmark for quality and cleanliness .. I 'm getting the impression that the C&C Club site standards are more, shall we say, .. varied ..

9. fender_man44

fender_man44 Read Only Funster

camping and cc site facilities

we have used the cc and c sites for nearly 8 years now never had a problem with the facilities as yet normally the bigger the site the better the facilities..never seen them messed up except may when the site are full of kids whos parents dont seem to bother where they are as long as they dont bother them ...wouldnt like a wardens job at any price

10. Mixter

Mixter Read Only Funster

Im baffled why some folk think the CC have the best facilities available. Ive had just as good service and facilities from non-club sites, and for a lot less money.
    A recent CC site we used didnt even have any facilities - good or bad, for which they prised £14 a night from us. This year is my first and last for any sort of club membership, now ive had chance to 'test' all kinds of different sites. Theres nowt to be gained IMO.

11. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

We stay on the Barnard Castle site a few times a year and can say that the facilities are excellent :thumb: .

Lovely wardens, too, keeping the whole site clean and trim.
    It makes you wonder why all sites can't be like that...

12. Terry

Terry Funster

I think there are lots of non cc sites that are equally as good if not better :thumb: but as an overall comparison they are the bench mark to aim for :thumb:I find the cc &c sites are a little behind the cc sites but still perfectly usable if a little dated/ tired in many instances.
    terry

13. brynric

brynric Funster

I don't often stay on big club sites now, of either club, but I always found the big advantage to be reliability. The regular cleaning, restocking and availability of free hot water was what you paid for.

14. Mixter

Mixter Read Only Funster

Our best site so far is a non-club site at Seahouses. Excellent level spacious pitchs'....excellent views...excellent faciliities...excelent wardens. £15 a night peak season. Or, we could have opted for a CC CL bang over the road in a small paddock for the same money - but NO facilities! Who is kidding who for the sake of a 'name'??

15. rangitira

rangitira Funster

We always use club sites, CCsite facilitys are generally excellent, C&CC sites the facilitys are generally good, but. sometimes a little worn.
    Our experience of private sites is'nt too good . One we stayed in recently in Somerset advertised a Bar and Restaurant, family run site! Bar and Restaurant was closed the three nights we were there, because the "Family member didn't turn up! Family run? So why didn't another"Family member" take over? "Oh no we've already done our eight hours!"
    The advertised Bus Stop at the gate , a big attraction for us! we don't tow a car, was 600 METRES up a 1in 4 hill
    £28 a night!!
    Anyway! we have found the the annual subscriptions for both clubs to be money well spent!

16. tofo

tofo Funster

stayed at thetford(norfolk) 3 times big open site with decent clean facilites

stayed at kingsbury water park( birmingham) decent clean facilites

kessingland(suffolk) facilites were good to just a bit lively when we stayed

just back from graffham(west sussex) nice clean peacefull site
    good facilities but few of them but kept clean
    we felt like we were wildcamping with facilites
    all the pitches were secluded and surrounded by trees
    look in 365 project september:thumb:

17. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

don't often stay on sitres nowadays as we tend to Motorhome more as tourers and wild camp. However, teh C&CC sites that we have used in the past have been nothing short of excellent. In a particular site we stayed at the shower block was heated with piped music through out.
    My only issue is, if you are required to use them during school holidays then expect nothing less than a soring price for teh privelige.

18. JayDee

JayDee Funster

I voted 'good' as this is the lowest standard we have found. Often they are very good and occasionaly excellent.
    But don't forget to mop.:BigGrin::Wink:

John

19. scotjimland

Thanks to all who took the time to post and vote.. :thumb:

I know it's only a small sample but with 80% saying that the facilities are good or better we will join for the start of next season..

Having not camped under canvas for over 20 years we were out of touch with what site facilities are like, spoiled by the comforts we had enjoyed in our motorhomes, the six sites we used this year were an eye opener ..

high prices, average was about £15 - £17 for a tent with two adults and one child , dirty and over crowded facilities.. :Angry:

To be frank it was disappointing that many sites had facilities that reminded me of the 60s when I first went camping .. so for me, joining the C&CC would look like a no brainer. :Smile:

cheers

20. Mixter

Mixter Read Only Funster

To get the best from any type of site - club or indie., you HAVE to do your homework. Anyone booking a place purely on the sites own blurb, gets everything they deserve. No site is going to tell you how crap they are, how poor the facilities really are, how many chav families it allows on. etc etc.
    You HAVE to read other folks reviews to get the real picture, so you can make a truly informed choice. This done, spending money joining clubs is not necessary, unless you also intend taking 'advantage' of the other stuff they'll push at you - insurance, ferrys, breakdown cover etc.
    Paying out just to 'guarantee' yourself a 'good site everytime' is pie in the sky.