1. Welcome to MotorhomeFun!

You've found the best motorhome club in the world (probably) Register today to unlock all the benefits of our community!

Already a member? Login Now!

campervan or small motorhome on DLA

Discussion in 'MOTORHOMES FOR THE DISABLED' started by cargo1, Jan 17, 2011.

1. cargo1

cargo1

Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to use my DLA benefit which is being used for a car at present for a campervan or small motorhome

Thank you very much in anticipation:BigGrin:

2. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

3. Douglas

Douglas

If you are on the higher mobility allowance it certainly covers the road tax.

Doug...

4. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

I do not thinkit is possible if the vehicle has VAT

If the is a base vehicle on a commercial chassis.. Like campers then VAT is due and Motability will not do that unless it is a wheelchair converted vehicle which allows them to re claim the vat.

You can have the disabled road tax off a camper using the DLA 404 exemption form providing the vehicle is registered disabled.

I have an RV which is a heavy private goods and the road tax is cheaper than my 1.8 Hyundia car... So I tax the car and pay the tax on the RV.

Remember there might be VAT exemption on New or Second hand.. Yes second hand are allowed .. See HMC leaflets.. It is a harder job to get some dealers to apply the removal of VAT at source .. You cannot reclaim it after... There are rules..if you want more detailed info p.m. me. Vat at 20% on the margin (profit) can be a lot of money on a
    £30k plus vehicle. On imported second hand yanks it can be taken off the whole advertised price not the margin.

But best ask Motability operations for the skinny on it.

Bob:thumb:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

No problem with us, rather give it to the customer than the Revenue!

Peter

6. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Pleased to see a progressive dealer

Nice to see a dealer Peter that will allow the vat rules to be applied to those that comply with the rules.

Not every dealer will bother.. When it can make the difference to a disabled person if he or she so buys.

Well done

7. Road Runner

Road Runner Funster

Right but mobility finance deal with you then Peter?

8. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

We don't deal with mobility finance as such, but we offer VAT free to qualified persons who can either arrange their own finance or use our facilities.

Bank loan, personal loan, other HP company, makes no difference to us as long as we get paid !

Peter

9. slverdreamers

slverdreamers Funster

Re DLA for motorhome

We were told no only suitable for vehicle to take user in the wheelchair not for sleeping in. Lowdham informed us we could buy vat free only if disabled person used wheelchair and then they would have to put a designated area and fixing point for the wheelchair. We do get the road tax free on the camper and pay for the smart car we tow.
    Regards Peter & Glynis

10. pudseykeith

pudseykeith

Hi. Spend it on a camper van, apply for free road tax, no problem, as long as the vehicle is used for the benefit of the disabled person. :thumb:
    PK

11. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

You do not get the cash to spend as you like... Reason is

It is a lot more complex than you think.

Firstly the dealer you want to buy from ... New or second hand has to be accredited to the Motability scheme. That means a dealer has to jump through a lot of hoops. They do not just give Motability dealerships out.

The lease scheme has to be an approved vehicle .. Lease lasts for 3 years unless it is a converted vehicle to carry a power wheelchair then a lease can be issued for 5 years.

HP scheme is between 2 an 5 years.. The vehicle also have to meet strict rules of mileage and age at the termination of the agreement.. Basically it is no more than 7 years old at the end of the agreement. Again the dealer is on an approved list.

Having had a Motability entitlement since it started many many years ago I have watched the scheme grow...

Getting vat off the price of an RV or motorhome is another thing entirely. Basically yes you need to be a fulltime wheechair user. But the rules are not as simple as some think. For example there is no requirements for ramps or retaining clamps ..HM Customs and Revenue have accepted even a steering wheel spinner meets the rules..but it still requires the wheelchair / stretcher rule applies.. See the HMRC document available on line for the rules etc.,

So the Motability and VAT issue are two different animals.

I am not aware motabilty would finance a motorhome.. Remember your allowance on DLA covers the lease charges plus the extra down payment by the person signing the agreement. For the HP agreement you have to pay the balance that Motability do not pay so you would only be financing through Motabilty about £8k and interest is around 9% so you would have to have the rest of the cash to add to the purchase. Not a good way to do it in my view.. Yes use you road tax entailment on a camper, expect a lease car as then Motability tax the car on that document DLA404 .. I have an RV and I pay for my RV road tax as it is only £168 compared to my car at over £200 so the DLA exemption goes on the car.. No brainer.

So I would say no you cannot get a motorhome on motabilty. But ring there help desk at Harlow in Essex.

If you have questions I suggest you p.m. Me as I have wideexperiance of both the mobility scheame and the HMCR rules on the VAT relief.

Bob:Blush:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster

i remeber a thread on here a while ago regarding a couple who bought a van on DLA/mobility.

followed by another, then another....just to keep the repayments managable.

it was all arranged by a major dealer and in the end the van was repo'd and the dept writen off.

i think the jist was, the payments were discounted but only for a limited time...possibly 3 years...so they traded in for new to keep the discount period.

so yes, it is possible....but beware !

13. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

I think beware is right.

I would look at the words.... but beware....

It sounds as if a dealer has done something out of the norm.. So I would for one check with the horses mouth I.e Motability at Harlow... My gut says they will say no.

But personally I do not see why not.. But it is the amount you can borrow over the maximum period on h.p. (no way on a lease agreement) .. You can only borrow just over £8 k and given the requirements of the age I doubt that would help any if they had to stump up £20 to £30 k or more to buy the motorhome.

Just does not sit comfortable with me as a user of the scheme which was designed for a car for a disabled person. But I would love to hear more if someone has managed to do it legally and above board.

Bob:Blush:

14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster

it was a well publisised item Bob, both here, as a link, in 'motorhomes in the news' and in the media.

the salesman, allegedly, omitted to mention the payments were time limited so the couple were 'ill advised' to trade in and start again...restarting the discount period.

my 'but beware' comment refered to thoroughly reading the small print before putting your name to anything.
    as you're aware, this can run into many pages, many of which are writen in legal speak so are beyond average comprehension.

15. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

I don't think that was on Mobility John (though I could be wrong) I think it was deffered interest for three years and they kept getting led into upgradeing to keep the deffered but they didn't understand the principal was increacing by a considerable amount every time they swapped.

All the best Rick

16. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster

thanks for that Rick.
    tried my best to find the thread/link but it must have gone off the system.

now you mention it that does ring a bell. :Doh::Blush:

17. joncris

joncris Funster

I should contact them if I were you You never know as many disabled (including myself) use MH's they might be on the verge of giving it serious consideration to contract hire or offer HP on such purchases:thumb:

18. joncris

joncris Funster

PLEASE don't take that advice as conclusive The ONLY thing that matters is that the person is in receipt of higher DLA The wheelchair advice is nonsense many severley disabled do not use a wheelchair & to exclude them amounts to disability discrimination

19. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

you can use the road tax exemption on your motor home/camper
    you can only get a mobillity car on the benefit however you can use the money to run your own vehicle paying your own insurance and repair bills so yes you can

20. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

You may be getting the issue wrong

To be able to have a contract hire (read lease) with Motability or an HP agreement you have to be in receipt of the higher rate Motability component of DLA.. It has to be issued for 3 years or longer. If you get the higher rate DLA you do not have to buy or lease a car from Motability (the charity) you can just have the money to do with as you wish.. It is paid every 4 weeks. This is converted to a lease payment or HP payment and DWP take the money at source .. You never see it... You only get the money if you do not want a vehicle.

The issue of VAT is a seperate issue and to get the VAT off a motor home new or second hand means you have to meet the HMCR rules.. Which is a wheelchair user or stretcher user.. The adaptions needed are far and wide and have been tested through the courts... As I say a steering wheel spinner meets the rules.

But you need to get the dealer to deduct vat at source either off the margin or off the sale price.. Not always easy to do as lots of dealers do not understand the rules.

So seperate issues..

So please be aware that vat off a motor home is not the same as getting DLA and the motabilty scheme.. Motability lease scheme has the vat already deducted at source due to Motability being a charity and the head leae holder I.e the owner of the vehicle before it is leased to the DLA recipient.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011