Campervan height ok on euro tunnel? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We are just about to book our first Eurotunnel crossing in our Hymer 2.9 height. Just checking that we can tick the box campervan rather than high vehicle over 1.9m or whatever it was? It didn't specify the height of the campervan. Should we tick the high vehicle box?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
yes CAMPERVAN is the correct one...
Even big RV's tick that one... Height no issue as you will be in same carriages as coaches etc...
CLICK AWAY,...

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
The high vehicle price is actually cheaper than the campervan price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The high vehicle price is actually cheaper than the campervan price.
Are you sure? I've just done a test booking and it was the same ... I did get a pop-up box to say that any van over 3500kg had to be booked as freight which WILL be more expensive:

Vans with an MTPLM (maximum technically permissible laden mass) exceeding 3.5 tonnes ... or carrying commercial goods must be booked through our Freight Shuttle service.
The only one that comes out cheaper is 'high car'

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Are you sure? I've just done a test booking and it was the same ... I did get a pop-up box to say that any van over 3500kg had to be booked as freight which WILL be more expensive:

That only applies to commercial vehicles. Not camper vans, motorhomes, RVs, buses, coaches or anything else.

Things like motorhomes actually are not permitted to travel on the freight service - it's a different train with open cars. The drivers don't stay with their vehicles but have to sit in a little room at the end of each car.

We are just about to book our first Eurotunnel crossing in our Hymer 2.9 height. Just checking that we can tick the box campervan rather than high vehicle over 1.9m or whatever it was? It didn't specify the height of the campervan. Should we tick the high vehicle box?

No you most definitely shouldn't. You book as a campervan, just ensure that you tick the relevant boxes for roof boxes, trailers, bike racks and things like that. Your vehicle weight and height aren't relevant.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We go through as a camping car and we are 5 ton and 3.4 metres high, including the kayaks on the roof.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I'm sure you don't need any more reassurance but just in case this is us about to drive onto the tunnel train last year - loads of room.

Paul

tunnel 2.JPG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Vans with an MTPLM (maximum technically permissible laden mass) exceeding 3.5 tonnes ... or carrying commercial goods must be booked through our Freight Shuttle service.
The only one that comes out cheaper is 'high car'
That only applies to commercial vehicles. Not camper vans, motorhomes, RVs, buses, coaches or anything else.
Yes I know that but was just pointing it out to the OP in case she hadn't realised

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks
Very helpful as always

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Things like motorhomes actually are not permitted to travel on the freight service - it's a different train with open cars. The drivers don't stay with their vehicles but have to sit in a little room at the end of each car.

Anything carrying freight should use the freight shuttle. I used to have a semi -retirement job as a continental courier, and originally started with a Renault Espace, which always went freight. I once booked the MH as freight, (I was asked to take an urgent package to La Rochelle when we were due to go on holiday,) but when we arrived the night duty manager who was a right old women, refused to allow it on as he said 'it had to high a calorific value' even though it had been cleared by the day staff when booking. He transferred us onto the tourist train which cost us an hour!

BTW Freight drivers travel in what is called the club car, a single carriage at the front of each train.

Malcolm

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Motorhome height isn't an issue, but length is. If you were towing a trailer behind your van you would incur a higher cost.

One other thing - if your vehicle is propelled by LPG you can't travel on Eurotunnel. LPG for cooking/heating is OK.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Motorhome height isn't an issue, but length is. If you were towing a trailer behind your van you would incur a higher cost.

Yes you will be charged more but the length doesn't matter You are not asked for the specific length of either your vehicle or your trailer, just whether or not you are towing one.

A 6M camper pulling a sideways motorbike trailer will be charged the same as a 30' RV pulling a 20' trailer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back