LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Due to the number a rave reports, I have invested in the Full Version for our jaunt across the Channel this weekend. :D That was the easy part. :( I have searched for sites around some of the destinations we intend to "hit on", but I cannot believe there are no sites around. Either that or I am doing something wrong. I know from reading on here about Aires around Ypres and Dunkirk, but my searches do not reveal these. :confused: So, therefore, can anyone enlighten me as to what I maybe doing wrong on the search, search the location and confirm no stopovers, or give me stopovers for the above two places please.(y) Give me a book any time!! :rolleyes:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Sometimes it's better to use the map and zoom in as if there's nothing listed at a specific town it won't show any. Just did this for Dunkirk -

IMG_0552.PNG

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Have you turned your location to on. A little blue dot then shows where you are on the map along with any Aires.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Yes like Dave said, I zoom in and generally find a selection around where I want to go and sometimes find ones where I don't ....:D2

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
IMG_3678.PNG

And here is my Dunkirk. :( Also if I press map, I get taken back to Gosport. (n)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
As already said make sure locations settings are on .
In the app you can then place your camper here(wherever) then do search on home page
Screenshot_20170403-134859.png

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
IMG_3679.PNG

Location on, Gosport U.K. Then scroll over to Dunkirk to see map, zoomed out, but still only one. Something definately amiss still. :mad:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
In the app, "info/ offline maps" I assume you have got the required maps active ?
Screenshot_20170403-143202.png
Screenshot_20170403-143116.png

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Mine looks like this...
Screenshot_2017-04-03-14-35-24.png

Like you I am using a 3g connection..
In order to save your data the app may not be set up for 3g. Go to settings from the map screen (spanner) and make sure the tick at the top is on "online map"

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Mine looks like this...
View attachment 155834

Like you I am using a 3g connection..
In order to save your data the app may not be set up for 3g. Go to settings from the map screen (spanner) and make sure the tick at the top is on "online map"
All set to Belgium, France and Germany plus the other bits that tag on with them.
Whilst it seems that if I move to the "map page" only and move around to dunkirk and ypres, as @BreweryDave sugested, it looks like all of the above - ish. However, if I search for a location, I still get only the one for Dunkirk.:mad: What I have noticed from @jollyrodger above maps, that Ypres is Leper / Ieper,:rolleyes: so obviously this makes a huge difference if searching. Clearly the "search for location" is shite and I will have to use "find around my location" or move the maps to an area I am looking to go to. Not the best app to use, unless of course I am still using it incorrectly (n), but I will continue to muddle through - No job too tough to cuff.(y)
Thanks all for your time. All the Aires book coming up:cautious:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I think it's either.. something you didn't need
Or
You're just not using it correctly
If you don't just want to drag the map to an area .... then type in a name in all parkings .. then select one of the results and click show all nearby .. or whatever it says in orange at the top.. think it only does 10k tho..
For us... we decide how far were going... drag it to that area and look around for high rating ones. .. if we get to somewhere we like and fancy hanging around then we just look nearby
That's exactly why we got the app ...because it does what we expect it to do really well. It's regularly updated and has many more sites than all the aires.. it's quicker and very easy (what could be easier than moving ones finger over a screen to move a map)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
View attachment 155830
Location on, Gosport U.K. Then scroll over to Dunkirk to see map, zoomed out, but still only one. Something definately amiss still. :mad:

The reason is that you haven't deleted your initial search area of Dunkirk.
Go back to the home page - don't enter a destination, just select all sites then open the map page and zoom to the area you want - sorted. !

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
The reason is that you haven't deleted your initial search area of Dunkirk.
Go back to the home page - don't enter a destination, just select all sites then open the map page and zoom to the area you want - sorted. !
Done. Sorted - ish.
I think it is a case of it not being as usable as I would've liked it. I will just use as you and the others above seem to and use maps only and move to an area I want to go to rather than searching by location first. If it works great, if not I'll opt for @jollyrodger park4night as that does seem more to my liking.
Thanks again to all. Vive la FUN::bigsmile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You could also try the free app Park4night

View attachment 155838 View attachment 155839

Why everyone keeps rating this camper contact iv no idea, park4night and searchforsites are far superior and free to boot , no downloading stuff and constantly updated , but some on here have a real downer on them, cutting off their nose to spite their face springs to mind(n)(n)

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Why everyone keeps rating this camper contact iv no idea, park4night and searchforsites are far superior and free to boot , no downloading stuff and constantly updated , but some on here have a real downer on them, cutting off their nose to spite their face springs to mind(n)(n)
Ian is hoping to release the Searchforsites App on IOS and Android next month (y)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If you enter a search term, in your case 'Dunkirk' and there is only one camperstop at that town, it will show just that location. The search system is logical but not intelligent. You will see as you begin typing that the letters 'Dun' return both Dunkirk and Dunkeld in Scotland.
Alternatively, use the map option and drag to the area you wish to search and it will show all in the visible map area. Works well for me.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I admit I am a computer numpty, but I downloaded the free version of Campercontact to my Samsung Galaxy and can't do a single thing with it. I was getting very frustrated reading posts on here about how great everybody was getting along with it so it's reassuring that others struggle too.
Is there anyone going to be at Eden Camp or Chester that would like to show me how to use it ?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Tbh the only negative comments re apps on this thread are yours.
Those of us that have used it tend to love it.. I have park 4 night .. but prefer camper contact. I don't have a downer ... I have a preference.
(I also like britstops when in the UK)
:)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Done. Sorted - ish.
I think it is a case of it not being as usable as I would've liked it. I will just use as you and the others above seem to and use maps only and move to an area I want to go to rather than searching by location first. If it works great, if not I'll opt for @jollyrodger park4night as that does seem more to my liking.
Thanks again to all. Vive la FUN::bigsmile:
It's working as it's supposed to I think. If you search for Dunkirk it will only show one aire because that's all it has listed as being at Dunkirk. There are lots of other aires in the area as the maps shown above display but they are not actually at Dunkirk. Like others I just scroll to a location and see what is available.
I also use Park4Night but generally only if CamperContact can't find anywhere. Park4Night has a lot of places which are just car parks without facilities which generally don't suit us as our little PVC needs emptying daily generally. It also lists aires of course but I find CamperContact much more useful as it generally has reviews and a grading system and is easy to use. :)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I admit I am a computer numpty, but I downloaded the free version of Campercontact to my Samsung Galaxy and can't do a single thing with it. I was getting very frustrated reading posts on here about how great everybody was getting along with it so it's reassuring that others struggle too.
Is there anyone going to be at Eden Camp or Chester that would like to show me how to use it ?
The free version only shows a few sites, just not paying the subs for this forum. You need to pay up and all the sites will then appear.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Tbh the only negative comments re apps on this thread are yours.
Those of us that have used it tend to love it.. I have park 4 night .. but prefer camper contact. I don't have a downer ... I have a preference.
(I also like britstops when in the UK)
:)
You have got to be joking , the bloke who runs searchforsites wants nothing less than hanging according to some on here, all I do is try to save people money and point them in the right direction for excellent apps.

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Have you downloaded the maps for the countries you are going to visit. Also check that the data is up to date.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back