'Campercontact' new website soon .. (1 Viewer)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
probably .. but it still works... I guess through time it will be obsolete

am aware that base camp works on macs, but it isn't mapping software
"OP" was asking about a route planner that works on a Mac and that is what BaseCamp is, is it not? Or what am I missing?:unsure:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
@Gellyneck

the question I answered was this

But something like Microsoft autoroute, but for Mac.

.. that is maps of Europe that you can use off -line, can add push pins, POIs, add routes, use as a sat nav.. etc there is nothing like it for Macs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Might as well ask on this thread while we're off topic, is there any offline route planner for a Mac? I've got Maps.Me as you (or someone) suggested, on my tablet. But something like Microsoft autoroute, but for Mac.

here is nothing like it for Macs

Not used it so not a recommendation but this claims to work offline. No idea about other functionality but might be worth a look in the absence of anything else (y)

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not used it so not a recommendation but this claims to work offline. No idea about other functionality but might be worth a look in the absence of anything else (y)

Broken Link Removed

no idea either.. don't know enough about openstreetmaps or if they can be used like Autoroute.. somehow I doubt it

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
no idea either.. don't know enough about openstreetmaps or if they can be used like Autoroute.. somehow I doubt it

Not used Autoroute either so can't comment. I've never really been one for advance route planning like that and definitely not when I've got no internet access. If I can't use Google Maps then I normally get the paper ones out.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I don't want it.. I was trying to help another funster

It's year since I used Autoroute.. I would plan a route, with possible stops, aires etc marked on the map, then use it as a sat nav.. had it running on a 12" Sony laptop.. with a GPS mouse on the roof of the van.. this was before the days of cheap sat navs .. when a Magellan sat nav cost the £600

paper is always best for planing and knowing where you are in relation to your surroundings

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've just downloaded it for a look. There doesn't appear to be any route planning capability. All it seems to do is let you view various open source maps, I assume offline, and you can drop pins to make POIs. It also lets you import GPX files.

I would guess it's someones coding project more than anything else.

Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 17.26.31.png

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@Gellyneck

the question I answered was this

.. that is maps of Europe that you can use off -line, can add push pins, POIs, add routes, use as a sat nav.. etc there is nothing like it for Macs.

Ah, so we're answering different questions then. Sorry for confusion.

In BaseCamp you can add POI's, routes, etc but you can't use it as a real time sat nav on pc or Mac using inbuilt gps.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I know Eddie can't get on with Garmin BaseCamp but I think it's great for both offline line route planning and transferring to our Garmin sat nav. Obviously, only of use if you have a Garmin sat nav!

that's because I've been using Mapsource since 2000 and find Basecamp very buggy and to technical for me:cry:

I did a route for Spain on PC for Easter, downloaded it (in sections) and got misdirected all over the place, onto tolls wrong roads etc....

I planned route in device for trip home in May and not one mistake...

Eddie

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

I use open street maps on my small garmin for cycle routes. they work very well. your back at the beginning, as with out a device it looks difficult to find a program that works with Mac. the one that does needs a garmin device so why would you want to use a laptop:giggle:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
why would you want to use a laptop

I have a Garmin, I do use base camp.. it's not the same as mapping software on a laptop ..

The question I was answering ..

Is there comparable Autoroute mapping software for a MacBook .. my answer was .. Not that I know of..

you ask.. why would anyone use this ?

A laptop with Autoroute and a GPS mouse, works well as a navigation aid.. you have a 12/14 inch screen and can see a lot more than you can with a dash mounted sat nav with a 4 , 5 or 7 inch screen... the later versions of Autoroute also had voice guidance..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back