CamperContact App now Translates!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by John Laidler, Jun 30, 2016.

1. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Just updated my CamperContact app (Android) and it now offers translations of the reviews. They will be machine translations of course but still a significant improvement for an already useful app. I guess the iOS version does the same but someone will need to confirm that.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

They told me translation was in 'development' - delighted !

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. zac

zac Funster Life Member

that is good news, will save me time doing it myself....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

A first class app

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. JJ

JJ Funster

Just checked it out but it wanted access to my photo album, and my files and my first born child, so out it went... can't think of an app that lasted so little time on my phone!!!!

JJ :cool:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Robert Clark

Just done an update and it's still in double Dutch in my IPhone - maybe the started with the unpopular phones first?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

My early fiddlings with it suggest it is quite quick if there are only a few reviews but it takes a while, even on a campsite WiFi as I am now, if there are a lot of reviews.

The first review here is amusing, it mentions there is no "separate crane" but the original Dutch word was "kraan" which means any of these :

tap, cock, crane, jib crane, derrick, gin, hoist, faucet, fine fellow, demoiselle

So I can see why a machine struggles with those choices!

Screenshot_20160630-163250.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Ah, there are two sorts of updates, update data and updating the app. On my phone I have to go into the Play Store and select My Apps. I can then select update all or select just a single app and update that one.

I think on iOS you have to go into the app store but I don't know if you can update individual apps or you have to do all of them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Robert Clark

Just checked on App Store and my version on Campercontact is not showing as having an update available - though 5 other Apps did. I can choose to update them individually or en mass.
    Maybe they update them in batches?
    Funny I only just paid and got the latest version a couple of weeks ago

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Sounds like the translating update isn't available for Apple yet. :( But I am sure it will come soon.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Robert Clark

Typical
    Good job I keep well stocked library of European dictionaries in my van

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Hellski

Hellski Funster

Last update on iOS was the 16th May, fingers crossed the next update for us apple users will be very soon and include the translation of reviews

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Just popped into an Aire? near Larousa Portugal to check it out. Talked to a Dutch couple.... Chose their van,as the dutch ALL speak English LOL. He showed me the Campercontact ? app? on his phone,explained about reviews and scrolled down through various reviews under different flags,until he came to the union jack,and there were reviews in English,i was very impressed.
    Will locate the Aire on a map and post,as i went on directions to it from local people IE. Portugues language coming at me,words twenty to the dozen fingers pointed wildly in various directions,i thought afterwards,could it have been because the car has....Porty plates?LOL.
    It was peacefull,loads of room between each unit,50 yds from a restaurant and river,water and dump area clean and tidy,so whats wrong......... Nothing,unless you like Aires where you are packed in like sardines.....oh,and it was free........
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. FJmike

FJmike Funster

That's great news, but it won't stop me submitting reviews of Aires that I visit.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi. This Aire as in above post.
    Coming from Oliviera do Hospital on the N17 south,you come to Venda da Esparanca,turn left for Lourosa,on the EN 1323,keep going through Lourosa,ignore campiismo signs,go past the football ground on your left,Camping site on your right,ignore,keep going. At this point the road surface is new,but it meanders along down,keep going,come to battered old Campismo sign,ignore,road surface goes back to old,keep going,you will then come to a largish village,keep your eyes peeled for a Camping car dump point sign..then just follow these signs, it is in Campercontact,it is very quiet and out of the way,very clean waste and water points and a pathway leading from the site to a Restaurant and the river bank...50yds.
    Sorry for the lack of proper information,the mission was to find it,which we did however,once there,i reverted to "Tipper" mode and sped back to the quarry for another load..... oooops HOME! LOL.
    I would have no hesitation of laying my head there of a night,but it is....... sssshhhhhh......quiet.
    Tea Bag

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

I think that they started with the phones that work first ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Does this translation work when you are off line, or do you have to have internet access?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I had paid for my app but on updating it they now say it's the light version so I have to pay again, I won't be using it till the autumn now so I'll guess I have to stump up again. We found it very useful but a pain to go online to find the translation, I too hope this translates offline.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. skipper64

skipper64 Funster

Hi ,
    Just checked on my iPad,message to say translation now available.Checked and there is a button to click on to translate to the language of your app.Worked brilliantly,to my mind this has really made the app.the best of its kind available.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    And here comes another question,so come on collective brains.
    I have had a look at Campercontact site on the pooter,after being shown it in action on a phone at the site in Portugal above. Please could someone tell me if it will work on a Samsung Mini Galaxy at least 5years old ?
    If not,being the proud owner of a..Noza tec Chinese truck sat nav that works for me (I only use it as a Sat Nav !),would it be worth buying a cheap Chinese "Mega whatever phone" and learn how to use that ?
    Remember,whatever you suggest,HAS to be "Fool proof PLUS and some" Thanks in advance for any help.
    Tea Bag (Luddite extraordinaire)

• Thanks Thanks x 1