Camper van.. LPG leak causes explosion.. owner survives !

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Apr 22, 2011.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Full story
    http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/blown_to_bits_but_camper_van_owner_survives_1_3314731

[​IMG]

2. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

One very lucky person to have got out of that alive

3. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

It looks like the safest place to hide in such a situation would be inside the gas cylinder, if you were skinny enough to get in!

-Nasty!:Sad:

4. artona

artona

How scary is that.

When I built our van I fitted drop valves wherever there was a joint in the gas installation and then had it all pressure checked by a qualified fitter. You really have to respect the potential danger.

5. olley

olley Funster

Hi Stew, what are "Drop valves"? they only ones I know of are used in toilet cisterns instead of a syphon.

Ian

6. artona

artona

Its a fancy name for a hole. I got the name from magnums, the great alladins cave for self builders in Grimsby :BigGrin::BigGrin:.

Wherever i put in a joint in the pipe work (kept to a minimum) or fitted a gas appliance I drilled a 1 inch hole through the floor and then glued in a plastic fitting with a mesh to stop little furry creatures joining us inside. I guess drop vent would be a better name.

I think the idea is that gas drops as its heavier than air so if you give it a way out you are safer

stew

7. Squire

Squire Read Only Funster

That's exactly right - a 'drop vent'. All properly fitted and constructed LPG lockers have them and the lockers themselves sealed from the interior of the van. LPG is heavier than air and sinks to the lowest point where is 'pools' - and that's what makes it so dangerous on a boat - if you fit 'drop vents' in the lowest part of the hull where the gas sinks and collects in invisible pools, the boat tends to sink ! :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Terry

Terry Funster

Don't know what type of van other than tranny, but let this be a warning to a lot of self builders and owners of converted vans :thumb: I see lots of vans for sale on ebay with just a simple box holding the gas bottle and some simply under the cooker :Eeek::Eeek:
    Jim this is practically on my doorstep (within 10 mls) how the hell did you find it :Rofl1::BigGrin:
    terry

9. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

I thought that as well. We live even closer and we have'nt heard anything about it, either on the local TV or our local newspaper.