Camper van driver does a 'Hit and Run' (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Motorcyclist seriously hurt in Chudleigh camper van collision
A38 collision The collision happened on the south-bound carriageway near Chudleigh

A motorcyclist has been airlifted to hospital with serious injuries after a collision with a camper van in Devon.

The victim was injured on the A38 near Chudleigh, at about 12:50 BST, after which police said the van driver failed to stop.

Officers said the van would have "extensive damage" and have appealed for the driver to come forward.

The rider's condition is serious but stable at Derriford Hospital, Plymouth Devon and Cornwall Police said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-18138796

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
could it be the driver didn't feel the impact as happens with big lorries when cars run into the back of them.
well ok if it was a small motorhome then i guess they would probably have felt it but how did the motorcyclist not see the big white box in front of him???

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
could it be the driver didn't feel the impact as happens with big lorries when cars run into the back of them.
well ok if it was a small motorhome then i guess they would probably have felt it but how did the motorcyclist not see the big white box in front of him???

Who said it was in front of him ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
I was at the Newbury show and riding along the road on my pushbike near to the showground yesterday when a motorhome slowly passed me (very close) and then did a left turn right across me.

I fell of the bike but the driver did not stop. Luckily I was not hurt, but there is no way the driver did not see me.

Grrrrrr

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now

Sorry but how did you manage to make this the motorcyclist's fault?:Angry:

It is clear from this that you are one of those who don't see bikes.....

We SHARE the road you know....with lorries, cars, cyclists, perdestrians....All of whom deserve respect, not blame...

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Sorry but how did you manage to make this the motorcyclist's fault?:Angry:

It is clear from this that you are one of those who don't see bikes.....

We SHARE the road you know....with lorries, cars, cyclists, perdestrians....All of whom deserve respect, not blame...

looks to me like you are the blinkered one by not reading the supporting stories.

obviously you dont know me i always make room in front of me for motorcycles to get into and pull in to the side of the road to let them past me I am always very aware of other things going on in front and behind me when i am on the roads i have had bikes and know full well what other idiots are on the roads with us.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
It's a dual carriageway....so who's to say the MH driver did not just change lanes in front the on bike?????????:Angry:

unfortunately there is nothing to say the motorhome driver didn't just change lanes but generally if you run into the back of something you were either not paying attention to what was going on infront or you were too close or going too fast.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Link Removed

That sorts that out then :thumb:
Blind motorcyclist runs into back of campervan.

Having said that, I very nearly tailended a car when I was out on my bike.
It was entirely my own fault cos I was too busy admiring the scenery and nearly ended up in it. Doh. :Eeek:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
That sorts that out then :thumb:
Blind motorcyclist runs into back of campervan.

Having said that, I very nearly tailended a car when I was out on my bike.
It was entirely my own fault cos I was too busy admiring the scenery and nearly ended up in it. Doh. :Eeek:

it only takes you to loose concentration for a split second and your in it.
i do try to stay at least 3 vehicle lengths behind whats in front of me 90% of the time just to give me a split second longer to react.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
There are van drivers, car driver, bike drivers and lorry drivers etc etc etc.

Some in each catagory are inconsiderate idiots, doesn't mean they all are.

I love it when bike riders give me a wave for considering them, most do ::bigsmile:

bike_stoppie.gif

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
There are van drivers, car driver, bike drivers and lorry drivers etc etc etc.

Some in each catagory are inconsiderate idiots, doesn't mean they all are.

I love it when bike riders give me a wave for considering them, most do ::bigsmile:

bike_stoppie.gif

Is this actually footage?? have the police seen this?? It could help identify the real culprit...

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Aarrgghhh! That's really frightening watching that video..... I read there was a motorcyclist from Loch Lomond killed whilst riding at the North West run in Northern Ireland at the weekend.

Very sad:Sad: I know, but there are a lot of accidents involving motorcyclists around us on the quiet country roads.......usually just involving the one cyclist and him going far too fast for the road conditions and not knowing where the next bend or dry stone dyke is:Eeek:

Sadly some of them do take chances and don't live to tell the tale.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Shropshire's roads are a magnet for motorcyclists on a sunny day.

These statistics are from Shropshire Council's website.

''Every year thousands of people are killed or seriously injured on our roads. Motorcyclists suffer disproportionately. They represent less than 1% of road traffic, but account for almost 18% of deaths and serious injuries; they are 45 times more likely to be killed than a car driver. In Shropshire, in 2010 there were six fatal and 29 serious motorcycle road accident casualties and 69 slight road accident casualties.''

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
It was quoted on the news the other day that Lincolnshire's roads are the worst in the country for RTA's and deaths:Sad:

I once came round a corner on my honda cafe racer and found myself confronting a pile of turnips in the middle where some farmer had managed to lose them:Eeek:

I also once had a guy hook his Morris Minor eak bumper through my front forks when he turned into me....then said it was my fault after I had picked myself up off the road and put my fire out....

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
[/quote=aba;597997]it only takes you to loose concentration for a split second and your in it.
i do try to stay at least 3 vehicle lengths behind whats in front of me 90% of the time just to give me a split second longer to react.[/quote]

Not enough ..........................

At least one car length, or more, for each 10mph.

Then that x 5 when its wet.

Then that x 10 when it get nasty, with the white stuff.

As an example, let us assume that you are doing 60mph and you leave 3 car lengths, say approx 45ft ish. Now, at 60 mph you are travelling at 88ft per second, so you have approx 0.5 second to react to the car in front stopping, getting the brake on and stopping yourself. No chance.

Sorry please correct me if I have not understood what you mean..

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
looks to me like you are the blinkered one by not reading the supporting stories.

Looks to me like you are reading more than the facts.

Fact: rear end shunt on a dual carriageway.

Fact: to seriously injure a biker it would have been a significant impact. No-one could not feel/hear that.

What we have no knowledge of is was this near an on slip, what was the traffic, did someone cause the MH to swerve, was the biker at warp factor 9.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
[/quote=aba;597997]it only takes you to loose concentration for a split second and your in it.
i do try to stay at least 3 vehicle lengths behind whats in front of me 90% of the time just to give me a split second longer to react.

Not enough ..........................

At least one car length, or more, for each 10mph.

Then that x 5 when its wet.

Then that x 10 when it get nasty, with the white stuff.

As an example, let us assume that you are doing 60mph and you leave 3 car lengths, say approx 45ft ish. Now, at 60 mph you are travelling at 88ft per second, so you have approx 0.5 second to react to the car in front stopping, getting the brake on and stopping yourself. No chance.

Sorry please correct me if I have not understood what you mean..[/QUOTE]

I'm not correcting you Mike but...The golden rule is a 2 second gap between you and the vehicle in front. That works at all speeds...I just wish that some car/van/lorry drivers would do that when I'm out on the bike....

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I'm not correcting you Mike but...The golden rule is a 2 second gap between you and the vehicle in front. That works at all speeds...I just wish that some car/van/lorry drivers would do that when I'm out on the bike....[/QUOTE]

Your right, remember the rhyme. Only a fool does not follow the two second rule. But so more if the conditions demand it, and certainly more than 3 vehicle lengths, at any time, unless I have misunderstood.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Trouble is, if you leave three vehicle lengths between you and the vehicle ahead on the British roads there are normally three vehicles in that gap!:ROFLMAO:

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
That two second rule is a real pain. I keep having to speed up to catch the bu$$ers in front of me.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
the only time i am less than 3 vehicle lengths behind the thing in front of me is stopped at traffic lights.

if on the motorways i tend to be about 3 lorry lengths behind and don't pull out in front of anything less than around 6 lorry lengths behind in the next lane.

a while ago i nearly was caught out at the end of the M65 and whilst i knew i would stop without hitting the rear of the car in front of me i wasn't sure about the car behind me so i shot onto the hard shoulder and stopped about 3 feet from where the rear of the car in front of me would have been and the car that was behind me stopped at the side of me.
if i had remained in the lane it would have hurt quite a lot.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
yes brian i have overtaken things but i tend to pull out before i get to their rear end with so many things that can go wrong with vehicles and being behind trucks that have had blow outs thinking if i had been much closer to that i would have got it.

i like to have thinking room for if things happen and i dont just watch the tail lights of the car in front of me i like to have as much warning as is possible life is too short as it is without tailgating the thing in front.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Smidsy

Could be a SMIDSY

Sorry Mate I Didn't See You

[FONT=&quot]My friends Son suffered a SMIDSY earlier this year (Sorry Mate I Didn’t See You) – the authorities’ acronym for when a motorist collides with a motorcyclist. Riding on a dull day, wearing a high Vis jacket and with headlamp on, a young female school teacher turned right across his path; the age and gender are important as she was most likely the type of driver this campaign is aimed at.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Motorcyclists account for 1% of all road traffic in the UK, but account for 20% of fatalities. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Prospective car drivers can currently pass their test without answering a single motorbike-related question. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Bennetts have launched a Government petition to ensure bike-related questions are made compulsory in all UK driving tests. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
To have this matter raised in the House of Commons 100,000 signatures are required. We need your help. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Please sign the petition now: [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/26272[/FONT]

Have a look and see what you think, if you agree?

[/FONT]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back