Camper contact app question re aires

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jac Sprat, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Hi just bought the excellent camper contact app recommended by scotjim and have a question
    We are anxious to avoid the service stations that are considered dangerous. Are they just the ones beside motorways? Are they somehow indicated on the site?

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Yes, it's usually just motorway ones but that's only opinion and they won't be marked as "Dangerous" or anything else because a lot of people are happy to use them.

You've really got to go with your instincts. If you arrive somewhere and don't feel comfortable then don't stay there. There will be somewhere else just up the road. We've done that once.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Yes it's the ones just besides the motorways that I'd avoid
    If you use the map view to show sites in your chosen country, you will instantly identify the ones next to motorways.
    It's also worth considering downloading the free offline maps, which you can use when you have no internet connection
    Happy travels !

• Like Like x 3
  4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Campercontact won't send you to a service station type aire, only the proper ones, if you have a data connection or WiFi on the same device you can see the position of the suggested aire on a map, or you can download the maps before you travel if you have the space on the device.

Martin

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Thanks that's reassuring

6. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I believe they are the ones dotted along the Motorway network and they are fine if you just wanting to stop for an hour break or so, but the Aires in the villages and towns built to overnight in, are as safe as can be reasonably expected.

I have stayed overnight in both and I take reasonable precautions. No need to take the Muzzle off the Pit-Bull or wire the door handles up to the mains just keep your wits about you and a loaded 12 Gauge under your pillow. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Stay away from any with Lorries on them
    I have a theory
    Who can hide in full view, have no reason to run away if challenged, have all the right answers and a reason to be there!!
    Lorry drivers and they only steal cash so non of it traceable;)
    Thats why Motorway Services are so risky(y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Robert Clark

Also if you read the reviews before visiting an Aire you may well read reports of trouble, or if the campers feelt safe.

As @Popeye says, just take simple precautions and you should have no problems

And if you leave a review after visiting an Aire then you are helping future visitors too

• Like Like x 1
  9. campa cola

campa cola Funster

I have used hundreds of Aires and only a couple did I not feel comfortable in. The French campers and to a lesser extent the Dutch and lesser extent the Germans (bless them all) will go to a free aire no matter where it is or how far out of their route it is. So you can usually guarantee there will be at least one French van on an aire somewhere! And you can do the French method of camping to feel safe, snuggle up really close to the only van on the aire, if that only van is French, they won't bat an eyelid (y)

As a guide I never use Aires in the centres of big cities in Italy, Spain or Portugal only campsites. It's not worth the risk, as vehicle crime is often quite rife, especially if you leave your van unattended. Certain French cities I would also use a campsite.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

also Rolex watches

agree with all above posts.. except snuggling up with a Frenchie .. :LOL: (y)

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Depends which you prefer, garlic and fags, or beer and fags :cheers:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

CamperContact does list what is calls services areas where you can dump waste and take on water but not stay overnight. These might typically be at a garage.

It is worth experimenting with the filter function as this will weed out locations you might not wish to visit, for example ones without water.

Doing this from memory, from the opening screen press All Sites then on the next page, where you should see a list of local aires click on Filter in the top left.

The next page shows a list of criteria you can use but I doubt you will need more than two or three.

Select type first and then say aires (motorhome parkings) and campsites then click on Continue in the top right.

Click on country & Region and then select France. It will show your all the separate departments but I suggest click the top line and select all of them

Click on continue twice then select facilities. I find if you select emptying toilet it will weed out all the Aires which are just car parks. You can select other things as well if you want then when you've finished click on continue.

You might then like to select only the higher rated aires. 7 or above is a good start.

When you've finished click on show results and when these appear click on Map to show them all on the map. :)

• Informative Informative x 3
  13. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Garlic and wine! Lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. Robert Clark

Try doing all that with an Aires book
    Your fingers couldn't cope

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

Usually on the 'motorways' they are signed as 'Aire de Repos'.
    Village Aires are best, the villages can be interesting and you will usually be able to get bread, or a van will turn up in the morning with bread and croissants etc.

• Like Like x 2
  16. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Another app I have been using in Spain and Portugal is the French app: park4night. www.park4night.com If you can get around the French translations and its slight idiosyncrasies, it does have quite a few unofficial and off the grid parking sites listed with comments. Camper contact only lists official aires & sites, so using both can be useful. I would not recommend going miles out of your way for a park4night spot though, as being unofficial things are likely to change quickly, unless recently visited and accurately commented on !

• Like Like x 2
  17. chaser

chaser Funster

Park4night is excellent and the writer is a member on here.

• Like Like x 2
  18. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Thats not nice muzzling poor old Olive Oil !!!!
    You've no hope then ( keep your wits about you!!!)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Just use common sense and have a good look around..broken glass around a car park a good indicator:(

I wont stay on french motorways end off!.....Far to many stories over the years.

• Like Like x 2
  20. campa cola

campa cola Funster

I'll add Broken glass (especially toughened vehicle window glass) doughnuts, condoms, drugs pariphinalia :) and anyone in a double axle caravan :Eeek:

• Funny Funny x 1