Camper Area El Rincon Malaga....A word of Warning! (1 Viewer)

Fireflies

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
On the road
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Folks
This posting is to hopefully alert anyone out there who has a 'reservation' with Camper Area El Rincon Camperpark near Malaga

Ours was booked in June 2016 and was for 2 weeks over the festive period coming up.
Having travelled down to the region with our good friends (who have the same reservation) we contacted the site, as requested by them, last week to confirm our arrival. A confirmatory email was received from the site with instructions for our arrival day of 19th December 2016

A few days later we both received an email from the site cancelling our reservation due to 'people already on site wishing to extend their stay over the christmas period'. Whaaaaat?

Can you imagine the anger and frustration we feel at this time? We have been let down so badly by this site who have sent us emails trying to explain their now abandoned 'reservation policy' to us. We were told two days ago by the owner that they talked to everyone on site and were informed by them that they were all 'staying put' over christmas.

Who is actually in charge there? Is it me or would you have expected to see that the site would inform adhoc visitors on their arrival day that they could stay, but they would need to vacate the pitch on 19th Dec as its reserved together with another for 2 weeks?

The disappointment here is massive as we've all looked forward to our festive time together close to Malaga, a beautiful city in itself, and its lovely surroundings

As you can imagine there has been a few emails sent to the owners to highlight our plight and their woeful unprofessional management but their limited response and explanations to date (the owner is English BTW) only reinforces their inability to grasp the reality of what they've actually done here

I sincerely hope there aren't any guys going to turn up there unaware that there is 'No room at the Inn'

Merry Christmas Everyone
Us Brits will soldier on!

Last edited:

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
How remarkably controlled the OP is. Hope you find somewhere better and cheaper. Put comments on Camperstops and anywhere else you can.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Fireflies

Fireflies

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
On the road
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
It was a few days ago and so left it till now to warn folks as we've given them time to resolve the situation to no avail. The anger and disappointment is still with us I'm afraid....

OP
OP
Fireflies

Fireflies

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
On the road
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
How remarkably controlled the OP is. Hope you find somewhere better and cheaper. Put comments on Camperstops and anywhere else you can.
We will thanks. We were contacted recently by Campercontact.nl to thank us for our feedback contributions so hopefully we can convey 'the site's hospitality' through that medium too. Its just such a shambles...

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I'm just working my way through my thoughts atm. Being loosely involved with a camperstop we see things from both sides. Camperstops, in our opinion, shouldn't be places that accept reservations. They were first introduced for overnight parking and moving on BUT people using them have made the usage change by wanting to stay for longer because, in some cases, it is cheaper than using a campsite. Causing problems for these places i.e negative comments and a bad rating, may ultimately cause some of them to close, so no one wins.

I don't know what the answer is. The owners welcome long stay, guaranteed nights, so are reluctant to tell people to leave. On the other hand that means newcomers can't find a space. We say here that we can't guarantee a place but if you turn up a space will be found "if at all possible".

Would you be happy to turn up on a camperstop to be told "one night only"? and sent on your way the next day even though there may be many places available and you want to stay longer.

It's swings and roundabouts unfortunately!

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I'm just working my way through my thoughts atm. Being loosely involved with a camperstop we see things from both sides. Camperstops, in our opinion, shouldn't be places that accept reservations. They were first introduced for overnight parking and moving on BUT people using them have made the usage change by wanting to stay for longer because, in some cases, it is cheaper than using a campsite. Causing problems for these places i.e negative comments and a bad rating, may ultimately cause some of them to close, so no one wins.

I don't know what the answer is. The owners welcome long stay, guaranteed nights, so are reluctant to tell people to leave. On the other hand that means newcomers can't find a space. We say here that we can't guarantee a place but if you turn up a space will be found "if at all possible".

Would you be happy to turn up on a camperstop to be told "one night only"? and sent on your way the next day even though there may be many places available and you want to stay longer.

Appears quite simple to me, if you are not going to honour bookings then don't take them. This site accepted this one. While a force majeure may occur, not honouring bookings is very poor and worth reporting to the wider community.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Appears quite simple to me, if you are not going to honour bookings then don't take them. This site accepted this one. While a force majeure may occur, not honouring bookings is very poor and worth reporting to the wider community.

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't! Bad reviews from either side, whatever decision they make. Sooo glad we say can't guarantee!

OP
OP
Fireflies

Fireflies

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
On the road
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012

Hi Judith
You are quite right about seeing it both ways...

Turning up unannounced at a Camperstop and staying one night to be turned away next day is not an issue if we've been told on arrival that our pitch is reserved next day for guys who have long standing bookings
If there are 'available pitches' next day on our departure that don't have folks arriving that day, that would of course be infuriating!
Even being asked to move from pitch to pitch to accommodate reservations is not an issue. If you arrive unannounced you accept what's on offer gratefully

These guys took our bookings after we had stayed there for a week last June in pleasant surroundings and entered in to an agreement with us so that we could utilise their site for 2 weeks commencing the 19th dec 2016.
To be informed 5 days before arrival that our reservations have been cancelled just beggars belief. Would you have utilised management techniques like these at Totana? No of course not. Simply informing new adhoc arrivals that you can stay if there's an unreserved spot seems to me to be the best honest policy there is. But giving our reserved spots to guys who were passing through and were not intending to stay for christmas in the first place is just not fair play. The owners cite the reason for the site's occupants 'staying put' as them not fancying moving on in poor weather.
We've driven for the last 2 weeks in 'poor weather' looking forward to our festive R & R at that site having recommended it to our travelling companions. Don't we now feel bad now....

We've all looked forward to our time in Malaga for the last 7 months and it formed the backbone of our winter stay here in Spain

Merry Christmas to you & Martyn

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi Judith
You are quite right about seeing it both ways...

Turning up unannounced at a Camperstop and staying one night to be turned away next day is not an issue if we've been told on arrival that our pitch is reserved next day for guys who have long standing bookings
If there are 'available pitches' next day on our departure that don't have folks arriving that day, that would of course be infuriating!
Even being asked to move from pitch to pitch to accommodate reservations is not an issue. If you arrive unannounced you accept what's on offer gratefully

These guys took our bookings after we had stayed there for a week last June in pleasant surroundings and entered in to an agreement with us so that we could utilise their site for 2 weeks commencing the 19th dec 2016.
To be informed 5 days before arrival that our reservations have been cancelled just beggars belief. Would you have utilised management techniques like these at Totana? No of course not. Simply informing new adhoc arrivals that you can stay if there's an unreserved spot seems to me to be the best honest policy there is. But giving our reserved spots to guys who were passing through and were not intending to stay for christmas in the first place is just not fair play. The owners cite the reason for the site's occupants 'staying put' as them not fancying moving on in poor weather.
We've driven for the last 2 weeks in 'poor weather' looking forward to our festive R & R at that site having recommended it to our travelling companions. Don't we now feel bad now....

We've all looked forward to our time in Malaga for the last 7 months and it formed the backbone of our winter stay here in Spain

Merry Christmas to you & Martyn

I do feel for you. Hope you find somewhere for Christmas. Maybe a bad review will make them review their management.

Merry Christmas wherever you end up.

(I'm going to instill on Paula and Angel here not to GUARANTEE a place to anyone!)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I suspect this is not the only campsite going for the big bucks/long stayers this year.

When we were in Spain in Late October the Full signs were already being displayed in Altea.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you are anywhere near Portugal, why not see if @JJ could put you up , although he may be full as well

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
You don't have to go to Malaga,try Sutton on sea,booked in advance,turned up at a CL,6 vans on site,two units had decided to stay over,no problem,shown to a "Bit of scrubland" to park,when asked about Electric,told to run out cable over the Flint drive for in and out.... Finished up that night at another CL in Sutton,twice as nice,result,hope the same turns out for you.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
Fireflies

Fireflies

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
On the road
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi.
You don't have to go to Malaga,try Sutton on sea,booked in advance,turned up at a CL,6 vans on site,two units had decided to stay over,no problem,shown to a "Bit of scrubland" to park,when asked about Electric,told to run out cable over the Flint drive for in and out.... Finished up that night at another CL in Sutton,twice as nice,result,hope the same turns out for you.
Tea Bag
:LOL::LOL::LOL: Classic that!

OP
OP
Fireflies

Fireflies

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
On the road
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Absolutely shocking. We stayed there in April they appeared such a nice couple that ran it. Might give it a miss in future on principle.
Thanks for your support Lenny but guess in April there will be no reservation management issues so don't miss out on the great location in sympathy with us. Enjoy your Christmas!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

Judith,

In this case, I'm sorry to say that your comments on this matter only reflect what happens at your site.

That is not the issue here. What happens at the site you are associated with, is of no validity in these circumstances.

The fact that you feel that Camperstops were apparently introduced as overnight accommodation I would challenge. If that was the case, how come so many of them today, (and that is the time period we are talking of) have, toilets, showers, bars etc. Hardly the kind of CL arrangement we have at home)

What is valid is that the Camperstop DID take a booking. They DID reserve a place for the OP and DID know at that time, because it was done with the OP present. The owner of the site must have known that the OP didn't live 'just down the road', and that the OP would have to travel a considerable distance at the worst time of the year to undertake such a journey.

There is NO defence to the actions of the management of the Camperstop. They have abrogated their responsibility to their clients. Their clients in this case are the ones who made the booking in June, not the occupiers of the site.
The existing residents of the Camperstop should have been told in no uncertain terms that they should leave and I'm sure that a refusal would have instigated some sort of Police response.

I am currently on a Camperstop in the Algarve. Before I arrived, I telephoned and was told I could stay but with no electricity. However, the next day, on arrival, we were informed that a pitch with electricity was available.
I have watched over the last two weeks and seen the owner turn away campers when there was a place available because THAT PLACE had been reserved by someone travelling the length of Europe for their time here.

The owners deserve every piece of bad publicity that comes their way.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I'm not defending the owners of the site in question and I do feel for the OP and feel that they have been unfairly treated in these circumstances. I personally don't agree with the way some camperstops have evolved. They are campsites in all but name. I don't think there should be toilets and bars but that has become to be expected by the paying public and to compete some places have built them which in turn has made them more desirable to stay for longer periods.

I am sorry that @Fireflies has been let down (ironically by Brits in Spain owners/managers)!

Apart from posting a bad review on motorhome camperstop sites there is little anyone can do. There is no official regulatory body in Spain atm for these sites.

I know @emmitdb you feel my comments are not valid but I am entitled to my opinion.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Try these, both at my local town. Great location for the town too!
Last I heard, Laguna playa was full, but the other had a couple of pitches.
No harm calling them to ask :xThumb:
Worst of all, I'd meet up and have a beer with you:xcool:

http://campingtorredelmar.com/inicio.php

Link Removed

The latter takes acsi discount card.

About 15km from rincon along the N340 towards Nerja direction.

Good luck!

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Just a thought on re- reading the original post.
Did the op pay a deposit?
If not I can have some sympathy with the folks who run the site.
They have no guarantee that the op would turn up, but have paying customers on site.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Judith,
"I know @emmitdb you feel my comments are not valid but I am entitled to my opinion."

I totally agree with your 'above' comment.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
They have no guarantee that the op would turn up, but have paying customers on site.

All you can do as a 'punter' is play by the owners rules.

However, the owner should play by the rules HE SET in the first place.

Later in this holiday, we will be visiting a camperstop. I initially rang them to make a booking. They said, send an email. I sent an email. They accepted my booking. I later emailed them to extend my period of time with them. On this occasion they said, send a deposit. No doubt they became cautious. So, (at my expense) I sent a substantial deposit by bank transfer at a lousy rate and that's where we are. They set the rules and I abides by those rules. Whether you pay a deposit or not, an agreement is an agreement and some would say a legally binding contract but hey, we're not in the UK.

OP
OP
Fireflies

Fireflies

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
On the road
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Try these, both at my local town. Great location for the town too!
Last I heard, Laguna playa was full, but the other had a couple of pitches.
No harm calling them to ask :xThumb:
Worst of all, I'd meet up and have a beer with you:xcool:

http://campingtorredelmar.com/inicio.php

Link Removed

The latter takes acsi discount card.

About 15km from rincon along the N340 towards Nerja direction.

Good luck!

Hi Scattycat
I followed their instruction to the letter by contacting them a week prior to arrival to which I received my arrival instructions and further confirmation of arrival details. They then contacted me a few days later to cancel my booking after canvassing opinion on site from the campers as to wether they wanted to stay or not

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi Scattycat
I followed their instruction to the letter by contacting them a week prior to arrival to which I received my arrival instructions and further confirmation of arrival details. They then contacted me a few days later to cancel my booking after canvassing opinion on site from the campers as to wether they wanted to stay or not

This is definitely bad management but unfortunately for you not a lot you can do.

I do hope you find a nice place to stay.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
This is definitely bad management but unfortunately for you not a lot you can do.

I do hope you find a nice place to stay.
I'm not totally convinced that this is bad management.
Did the manager ask for payment in full prior to arrival, to secure the pitch?
Could the manager be sure that the person who booked was certain to arrive?
What if the manager turfed a paying guest from their pitch, only to find that the next guest didn't arrive?

Unfortunately MH's sometimes stay longer than expected - maybe this is the sign of a well managed site rather than a poorly managed one?

OP
OP
Fireflies

Fireflies

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
On the road
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
What if the manager turfed a paying guest from their pitch, only to find that the next guest didn't arrive?

Unfortunately MH's sometimes stay longer than expected - maybe this is the sign of a well managed site rather than a poorly managed one?
Our travelling companions who were also victims of this charade offered to pay a deposit at the time of booking 7 months ago but were told it was not necessary only to email confirmation of arrival a few days before the arrival date. So they knew we were coming as we'd followed their instructions and received their acceptance
Its good fiscal policy to keep the site full if you're not bothered about customer relations but they are on a slippery slope the more they treat folks like us like this.....

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

All can be said has already been said by the OP not long ago.

"I followed their instruction to the letter by contacting them a week prior to arrival to which I received my arrival instructions and further confirmation of arrival details. They then contacted me a few days later to cancel my booking after canvassing opinion on site from the campers as to wether they wanted to stay or not"

If the OP plays by the rules set by the management and following this the management fails to abide by the same rules, who can you really say that this isn't bad management. Alright, it isn't 'bad' management. It's not management at all.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
So they knew we were coming as we'd followed their instructions and received their acceptance
Its good fiscal policy to keep the site full if you're not bothered about customer relations but they are on a slippery slope the more they treat folks like us like this.....
Sadly the site owners didn't know you were coming, they only hoped you would come.
I'm guessing that customer relations are important to them, but I suspect they put current customers ahead of future ones.
When visiting camp sites, which I do rarely, at check in I will always book for one night only, and extend if I like it.
I expect that many other people do the same
Maybe you should post a review on Campercontact for future customers.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
All can be said has already been said by the OP not long ago.

"I followed their instruction to the letter by contacting them a week prior to arrival to which I received my arrival instructions and further confirmation of arrival details. They then contacted me a few days later to cancel my booking after canvassing opinion on site from the campers as to wether they wanted to stay or not"

If the OP plays by the rules set by the management and following this the management fails to abide by the same rules, who can you really say that this isn't bad management. Alright, it isn't 'bad' management. It's not management at all.
Maybe the terms of trading are that they may cancel your booking, and likewise that you may cancel too, up to the date of arrival?
They only have so many pitches and people come, but dont leave when you hoped they might

OP
OP
Fireflies

Fireflies

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
On the road
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Sadly the site owners didn't know you were coming, they only hoped you would come.
I'm guessing that customer relations are important to them, but I suspect they put current customers ahead of future ones.
When visiting camp sites, which I do rarely, at check in I will always book for one night only, and extend if I like it.
I expect that many other people do the same
Maybe you should post a review on Campercontact for future customers.
They knew we were coming because they emailed us after we confirmed a week before arrival to tell us what time to arrive by.....
We stayed there for a week in the summer, we are not an unknown entity, rather previously satisfied existing customers....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back