Campbells Motorhomes - shocked!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dereckerick, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Dereckerick

Dereckerick

After a nice weekend away with the kids I decided to pop into Campbell's near Preston to have a quick look at some MH's.

Every van I went into was a disgrace.

The tag axle Cheyenne was like the floor of a tractor, filthy and the door handles were broken so you couldn't look in the bathroom. For a 2007 van it was abused and Campbell's didn't seem in a rush to sell it from what I saw.

The next van smelt like a smoking room, gave me a headache it was so bad. The next few vans also didn't look like they were prepared to make people part with cash.

The numerous sales guys were just standing around, watched me pull up in a MH and look in a few MH's not one asked me a single question. They all looked a little bored to be honest.

It went on from there, I'm not one for slating business' but in this financial climate how can a business be ran so badly. We are planning on a van change in the next 18 months and this place will not be visited again!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Come down South and see how it should be done (although in wet weather it is hard keeping floors pristine)

I have a nice tag axle Cheyenne with a French bed

Peter

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  3. chaser

chaser Funster

Can't understand how dealers work, all the ones I have been to have never got any ready to go , always "awaiting valeting" unless they are brand new and about 50 grand, the money they have standing out you would think the vans would all be ready to go as soon as a wallet full of cash was flashed. Can't beat private in my experience .

4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

All my vans on display are fully valetted but not ready to go as they will need servicing both mechanical and habitaion to make sure everything works as it should.

No point in servicing a van that could sit for two or three months before going out, thats a recipe for disaster.

Peter

• Like Like x 8
  5. chaser

chaser Funster

So, Peter , why don't they all, is the markup so big they only need to sell the odd one a month

6. RogeTeri

RogeTeri Read Only Funster

I totally agree that to display vans in a poor state is madness. If nothing else it leaves the impression that if you part with your hard earned money what sort of after sales would you get. If you were selling your house you would want to make it presentable to prospective buyers. I would just drive off if I saw such low standards. Agree with Peter that the mechanical and habitation checks should be done prior to collection and that will give the buyer greater confidence. I felt so sorry for the dealers at Peterborough last year. The conditions were awful and it was a shame to see beautiful vans getting filthy as a result, must have been a nightmare!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  7. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

I don't know, with us it is pride in the job and my lot never know when I will come down to the dealership and inspect the vans and site, a new pair of eyes always spots what others are used to seeing and thats not because they don't care.

Peter

• Like Like x 3
  8. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

Well...........

When we were catching the Portsmouth to Santander ferry, we decided to kill some time looking at Motorhomes, to see what was available.

We went to Southdowns and I have never been so disappointed.:cry:

There was virtually no parking for visitors.

All vans were locked up, so if you wanted to view one you had to find a member of staff and ask for that particular vehicle to be opened:Doh:

Needless to say I viewed one and just couldn't be ar**d

I would never buy from a dealer that treated customers like that.

I was appalled to say the least.

I think a private sale is the best deal and seller goes out of their way to impress you.:BigGrin:

I would buy from a dealer if they treated prospective customers better, but only if they do.:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I know what you mean but if they aren't locked up they lose parts.. cooker knobs, handles, parts from taps, bathrooms etc will all get nicked.. so while it's bad for business I have very sympathy with the dealers.. :Sad:

• Like Like x 4
  10. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

All my vans on main forecourt are unlocked and available to view during opening hours, only the vans on bottom forecourt are locked as the sales staff cannot see them easily.

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  11. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Thats true. Cooker knobs readily available:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Jez and Lin

Jez and Lin Funster Life Member

Some friends of ours have recently bought a City Van from you & I have to say it is in pristine condition both inside & out, I can certainly vouch for your standards - top notch :thumb:

13. maxsdad

maxsdad Funster

When we traded in our Autotrail at Brownhills recently[sorry Peter but we wanted a Rapido] they imediatley removed the drop down tv monitor, said they had loads stolen.:Eeek:

14. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I this Campbells who have taken over Brownhills old site in Kirkham if so perhaps thaey have got some of the staff as well.

15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

What's wrong with that ?

Leave them open and you risk vandalism and theft. They would be a good source of spares to the light fingered.

16. Fermenter

Fermenter Read Only Funster

After looking around at many vans we bought ours from Ryedales in Leicestershire. They were very good and helpful. The vans were clean and the salesmen were pleasant without being pushy. So I guess it depends on where you go. Note we are from Preston!

17. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

I think the thing that is missing here is good old fashioned customer service, the vans may need to be locked, but that doesn't mean that they should not be clean, well presented, and the salesman be well informed helpful but not pushy, why is that so difficult when customers are looking to spend a fair amount of money.

18. albeano

albeano Read Only Funster

Hmm Ive got mixed feelings about Campbells now when i bought my van
    3 years ago from the old site, i was really imppressed i felt i had negotiated a good price, the 2 or three sales staff all knowledgeable, and attentive, the van presented in pristine condition with a thorough handover and induction, all in all a good all round experience.

Then l2 months ago took it back for habitation service and replacement truma boiler element together with a couple of other bits and bobs to their new place on the Blackpool road. (none of this under warranty)

I can but wont go into all the details but needless to say the quality such as unfinished work ie loose external flue heater not fixed fully, mastic "slapped "around ehu fitting which apparently needed replacing :Eek!: the new fitting was non manufacturer equipment or colour matching. Electric indicated reverse polarity. Dirty fingerprints electric cable cuttings etc. Took van back and left it for another day to seal flue and sort electrics as i had cleaned and finished other items.
    Picked van up checked this time and was told they couldnt find a problem with the electric polarity "it must be something with the supply at home or with my hook up cable". Got home and guess what polarity ok!

I realise my experiences with campbells service are not major but sufficient for me not to trust them again,the person i dealt with on the servicing issue is different to the original team and maybe its a personell thing or maybe standards have dropped.

In conclusion i would not rule out buying from Campbells in the future but i no longer have the feel good factor about them.

19. Jim

Jim Ringleader

20. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

I've visited Campbells twice. Initially a small site some 18 months ago, it was raining heavily the sales guy came out to me and had a nice chat, he then told me to have a look in the vans, if i needed help, just to shout....Thats what I like. I can't be doing with locked doors and predatory sales people.

Visited again 2 months ago, the site location had changed, a huge place, one salesman on the ground, struggled to gain his attention actually. Some of the used PVC vans looked a bit ropey, although the new Adria with two singles was very impressive.

I hope they don't end up like "Discover".....remember them! Especially when Todd's are a short spit away with their indoor sales ground and discreet sales staff.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 1