Campaign against parking restrictions

Discussion in 'Wild Camping' started by simbadog, Dec 18, 2013.

1. simbadog

simbadog Funster

2. buttons

buttons Funster

Looks like he is concerned about the manufacturers but shows little regard for the sites dotted around the country who pay rates and taxes and rely on campers staying overnight for their living. Looks like another non-starter to me.:RollEyes:

3. Tootles

Tootles Funster

See your point, however, as the sites you mention hike up their prices, then expect a lot more free camping.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

There was another thread on the same subject posted earlier. Andy Strangeways did a very good job of challenging the legality of the signs in Scotland.

He appears to have gone wrong in regards to Scarborough though. As posted on the other thread, the TROs which are now in place have been properly passed.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I am a campsite owner, my trade comes from being competive not backing local authority campaigns to stop wilding. Caravans and tenters tend to use sites, motorhomes are most of the time self sufficient. I'm getting a little tired of seeing site owners blamed for the introduction of no overnighting signs any site that has reasonable rates will get business. Anyone who thinks they can earn a living from a CL restricted to 5 vans is bound to be charging too much.

• Like Like x 9
  6. jezport

jezport Funster

I started a thread on this yesterday

7. jezport

jezport Funster

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. jezport

jezport Funster

Didnt see it on my phone, have to get a bigger one:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

maybe beater to start a campaign against the blue badge holders who abuse the use of there privilege to camp for weeks without supporting the local authority's that's watt pees me off.
    If I want to camp stay over for the night I have to pay parking fees.
    I do under stand that persons with disability need parking conisations to make it easer to gene asses to shops EXT.
    But if sleeping over night not to take the p.....s
    Ase it screws it up for others
    So today I start the campaign against blue badge holders taking the piss

• Like Like x 1
  11. mentaliss

mentaliss

Lets face it Motorhomes are not welcome in the UK ( where's the aeries) you only have to look at EUROPE to see the difference:Sad: the majority of public car parks, Council run or NCL have their barriers set to 2.2 meters they say its to stop the traveler's well they have plenty of travelers in Europe BUT there is a zero tolerance to them occupying such :Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Wrong!!
    Of almost 400 councils outside Greater London only about 80 have no off-street parking for motorhomes.

13. jezport

jezport Funster

I have never been to a wildcamping location that I can't use because its full of blue badge holders. The law permits them to park so I suggest you lobby your MP.
    At the St annes motorhome parking area blue badges are time limited so they c as not park free overnight.

At Scarborough there are thousands of emptyp arking spaces overnight. They couldn't be filled if every blue badge holder in North Yorkshire parked there. Besides that parking is free of charge during the night, blue badge or not.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  14. jezport

jezport Funster

I have never been to a wildcamping location that I can't use because its full of blue badge holders. The law permits them to park so I suggest you lobby your MP.
    At the St Cannes motorhome parking area blue badges are time limited so they can not park free overnight.

At Scarborough there are thousands of emptyp arking spaces overnight. They couldn't be filled if every blue badge holder in North Yorkshire parked there.

15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The Scarborough restrictions are nothing to do with blue badges but with abuse and long standing planning policy. Well documented on previous threads on here and elsewhere.

16. jezport

jezport Funster

Please look at the link in my first post. Read it and understand what Andy is trying to do.
    There has been lots of posts across motorhome forums on the Scarborough ban and the facts why there is no good reason for it.

You can subscribe to Andy's blog and receive updates.

• Like Like x 1
  17. simbadog

simbadog Funster

Sorry for posting then but I don't have the time to read every single post :Sad:

18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I think there have been a lot of posts across motorhome forums expressing opinions on why there is no good reason for the Scarborough ban :Smile:

The facts are published by the council Here - FoI response I received from them. Note the end of the last sentence "[HI]applicants who have been unsuccessful in gaining consent for sites in the past may view the Council as being inconsistent were it to pursue this option itself.[/HI]"

However much we might not like it, the council would have been laying itself open to costly legal challenges if it had treated itself differently from private sector applicants - and that would not have been in the public interest.

19. jezport

jezport Funster

If Fylde council can permit overnight parking on carparks then so can others.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I totally agree, all things being equal that is so.

In Scarborough's case, though, as clearly explained in the council's report, there has been a long standing planning policy of not allowing camp sites within certain areas round town centres within the Borough of Scarborough. Several private sector applicants for licences have been turned down over the years. As I said earlier, however much we might not like it, the council would have been laying itself open to costly legal challenges if it had treated itself differently from private sector applicants - and that would not have been in the public interest.