camp site prices

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by spongy, Jan 7, 2014.

1. spongy

spongy Read Only Funster

I've just received my MMM magazine which included a leaflet with prices for a camp site (sandy balls) in the new forest, peak season weekends unit + 2 adults £60 pn + £5.00 per dog. Am I out of touch or do people actually pay these prices? Makes the club sites look cheap.

spongy

• Like Like x 1
  2. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Sandy balls is supposed to be quite good.... But we would never pay that price.
    In fact we wince and fret at £20 per night...

• Like Like x 1
  3. lorger

lorger Funster

That's the highest I've seen in the uk although I have seen them this high in Europe. I have just booked 4 nights at Crystal Palace for the London marathon at a cost of £120 for MH 2 adults and a 16 year old with free dog. I thought that was expensive.

4. acting_strange

acting_strange

WE've just had a circular from Two Mills in Norfolk....lovely site BTW....peak times = £25 pn...

5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Supply and demand I guess, they charge what they can get away with. However, go to a naturist beach and you can get them for free...:Blush:

• Like Like x 3
  6. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Sandy Balls has always been expensive but its always busy.....so they seem to be able to charge what they like......

I was paying £5 a dog at Woolacoombe Sands 7 years ago sadly.......

If people pay it they will charge it............

• Like Like x 1
  7. Silkcut1105

Silkcut1105 Funster Life Member

down the gower u pay 28 per night a fiver if u put your awning out per night £2 per night for dogs and if your family come to visit for a day out they have to pay a fiver to get in campsite with the car and then the showers are on tokens at 1.00 each

8. damar

damar Read Only Funster

I to am amazed at site prices, I have just done a price comparison after receiving my supplement for this years prices for the CC , picking a site at random for 2 adults for 6 nights £177, went on the web and found a good hotel with on suite for 6 nights for just over £10 more, and of course with the hotel no tugging a van, no mud.

I think the CC and the CCC have soon got to realise that so many people are now turning to motor homes rather than caravans, and all that we need is a place to park, not all the rigmarole that is attached to there sites. I know this will not happen in the near future because there sites always seem to be full, this I can not understand.

I have cancelled my membership with the CC as we usually wild camp if in this country, but must say it is so much cheaper to travel in some country's in Europe, than here, we spent 7 weeks in France and never spent a euro on site rents ( or Tolls ).

• Like Like x 3
  9. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

Will agree that Sandy Balls is quite a nice site, usually busy and quite expensive.

However, take look at Haven's Devon Cliffs, premier pitch, 2 adults, 2 kids, 25th July for one night...

An amazing £93, yes that's NINETY THREE POUNDS for one night.

I do enjoy Devon Cliffs lots, but at that price, really ??? :Rofl1:

10. spongy

spongy Read Only Funster

Well I would appear to not be out of touch but you can't help comparing site prices with those in Europe. It does'nt take long to recoup your ferry price. In general the sites in Europe do offer much more for your money, ie swimming pool, shop, restaurant if you want all those things. Personally I am much happier on a cl site for about a tenner a night and pitch where you like.

spongy

• Like Like x 2
  11. themogs

themogs Funster

eeeer....What do you get that's free:Eeek:???

12. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I agree.

We spent 3 months in France last Autumn (Sept to Nov) and used the Aire system all the time. We only had to pay for 4 nights and two of those were in San Sebastian!

Having just spent a week in Wales I realised how out of touch I am with UK pricing.

We paid as low as £5 per night for basic site (Jim's place) to as high as £13:50 for a CL with serviced pitches.

I do accept that there is 'owt fed nowt' in the UK and site owners are free to charge as they wish. For me I am happy to pay £5 for basic site and up to £10 inc leccy.

The problem I think is that for people on their annual holiday the price does not really affect them, but for me we are 'on the road' for a total of maybe 250 to 300 nights per year so the price IS very important :Eek!:

• Like Like x 1
  13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Fairly simple I think. There are approximately 3 times as many caravans as motorhomes in the UK so 3/4 of the market will tend to want more than just a place to park. Add to that the fact that the CC, C&CC and private owners have created their sites with that in mind and it is not surprising that they will charge for the facilities offered.

As DevonBeekeeper said, it's supply and demand. If sites charge too much they won't sell pitches; if they sell pitches then the charge is either right or too low, not too high.

If there were sufficient demand (and profit to be had) anywhere for just a place to park then the private sector would soon be jumping in to create motorhome sites rather than caravan sites.

14. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

The clue is in the site name:Wink:

Martin

15. Phill D

Phill D

Sandy Balls! campsite:Rofl1::Blush:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

To be fair, that place looks more like a Centre Parcs type place ... aka Gates of Hades.
    Not really representative of the type of camp site me and the missus looks for.
    However, we're dropping the MiL off in Bournemouth at the end of month (must remember to make sure she can't find her way back :Rofl1: ), and have just got a price of £30 for two nights for the two of us and our two dogs.

17. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I have been to Sandy Balls a few times.

The best thing I have to say about the place is that there is a cracking pub just outside the gates.

As for Sandy Balls, the bars and restaurants are crap, the supermarket is overpriced, and it's full of loud brash Southerners.

Decent cycle paths though.

• Like Like x 2
  18. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

And :Smile:I thought Sandy Balls was a complaint in the nether region...........seems that it is !

barry

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  19. chaser

chaser Funster

I started a thread on this last year and was shot down by folks saying it's their money and they can spend it how they like which is quite true but it is, in my view , ridiculous , that you can get b&b for the same money that a campsite costs, we have just booked a week in alberferia for £200 for two on b&b including flights, which works out less than £30 a night. Doesn't make any sense to me.:Doh:

• Like Like x 4
  20. mentaliss

mentaliss

its actually Rip off, greedy Britain where the rich are getting richer and the poorer ..you know where its going:Sad:

• Like Like x 1