camos (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Just had a Camos crankup fitted, we have some tress around our house and really struggled to get a signal, the sat finder was screaming out kept turning it down and must have been right on the satellite but those pesky tress prevented us from getting a picture, just wondering how sensitive they actually are.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Interested to see how this thread pans out, we use the free standing set up - you know the type, gives everyone some entertainment watching you in the rain.
Now pretty adept at getting a signal quickly but often find that I have to move the dish some distance to avoid trees etc. Have often considered a Camos setup but don't really want to compromise where we pitch just for the sake of tv.
Do funsters with Camos etc often find problems with reception and perhaps regret switching from a portable system?
Hope I am not hijacking your post robnchris. :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
just wondering how sensitive they actually are.

VERY.

You should go out and hug them. Tell them you love them for giving you oxygen to breathe. You won't see it but they will smile at you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi Rob 'n' Chris.
Taking part of Brians post, yes they can be sensitive. What box are you using?

When I used to use a crank up I often struggled. Then Geo showed me how one day and I never had problems again:Blush:. I don't now as I have a camos dome::bigsmile:

Anyhow, if your using a sky box, try going in to the following. go in to set up and scroll down to signal, then signal strength. it will then show you what signal is screaming at you. It may be that you are getting screamed at from a mobile phone mast, amongst a thousand other things. :RollEyes:. If you do this with the sky box it will tell you when you hit astra 2, the strength of the signal and then when the signal is locked.
If you are getting a signal then I would suggest the trees are not blocking it.
Like I say, when learnt it was dead easy, are you going to Peterborough? Geo and a host of others will be there (ash is the expert) to guide you through it.

I hope the above is correct, its been a whils since I done it but I found using the sky box alongside the signal finder the best method. One otehr thing though is you have to wait a second or two for the bar on the sky box to move.:thumb:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
as the post by haganap says try and use the reciever box aswell , we used our camos crankup last week for the first time on a couple of sites, and i found that if i had the dish to vertical it would make the sat finder scream like mad a couple of winds down on the handle and i would find the sat straight away and a perfect picture

we use a Bush HD freesat reciever and as soon as you get the signal the picture is there , there is no lag in recieving it as i am led to belive with the sky box

lufcdave7

Free Member
May 12, 2009
Rochdale
Funster No
Exp
1 year
We have the Camos crank up plus. It has been the best bit of kit we have bought for the motorhome. With a clear line of site (no trees) we get Astra 2 within 30 seconds every time. All alignment work done with the comfort of being inside the van. When approaching your stopover, using a gps, a compass or just the position of the sun, it's easy to work out where you need to have the m/h to avoid line of site obstructions. When touring we carry the tripod stand and 65cm dish with a 10 metre cable from our tugging days. We have only had to get it out once in the South of France around Cannes.
The greatest advantage of the Camos is that once it's locked on it NEVER loses the signal no matter how bad the wind gets!

spiritsfree

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
Sandy, Beds.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I went to see a dealer yesterday who`s fitting a Camos dome on the new motorhome and he told me a great story.

He`d fitted one just recently to a motorhome.....a few days later the guy phoned up complaining that it was useless.....couldn`t get it to work no matter how he tried !! After being endlessly talked through the system by the dealer`s wife and the workshop manager....the guy couldn`t get it to work. "Get your boss to phone me as I want it replaced immediately" said the motorhome owner . Duly the bosss phoned him and went through every stage with him....still couldn`t get any picture, so the boss asked where the motorhome was..........."In my barn" said the moterhome owner !! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Yes trees even without leaves will reduce the sugnal. In Spain this winter I had to move the van slightly because of the steel frames they put up over the pitches for summer shading. Even an electrical wire can interfere with the signal.

The signal metre will catch anything or any satellite, don't forget Astra 1 & 2 are very close & a Sky box will not get you a picture if you have Astra 1

I have never failed to get a picture as long as I have a CLEAR view to the satellite & I use a Silvercrest satellite receiver as it registers much quicker than the Sky box.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We currently have the maxview crank up which even with trees finds signal easily, can normally have picture within 1 minute of starting.
To cover all avenues might be worth carrying a portable dish in addition to the roof mounted one.

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
crank up

Hi Guys, The receiver we have is a Goodmans, as fitted by Dave Newell, managed to get an excellent picture yesterday after moving along the drive to try and get the clearest view through the trees.
Have to say even the house sat system can suffer when the trees are in full leaf.

Don`t think I will be taking both the roof sat and a stand alone, I only fitted the crank up to get a bit of peace from the constant nagging in my ear.... shush hope that goes no further...

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Guys, The receiver we have is a Goodmans, as fitted by Dave Newell, managed to get an excellent picture yesterday after moving along the drive to try and get the clearest view through the trees.
Have to say even the house sat system can suffer when the trees are in full leaf.

Don`t think I will be taking both the roof sat and a stand alone, I only fitted the crank up to get a bit of peace from the constant nagging in my ear.... shush hope that goes no further...

Glad to hear all is ok!, your secret is safe. :thumb:

retep

Free Member
May 9, 2008
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
We have a Camos Dome with a Sky Box and find it sensitive to trees and also stormy weather!:Doh:

Regards
Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back