Camos Dome

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Ricklister, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Ricklister

Ricklister Read Only Funster

Hi

Can anyone tell me how good the in motion domes are and also are they easy to fit?

Thanks

2. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Try a pm to angep a member here, she knows all about them and has one on her swift motorhome. I know they love it ! :thumb:

3. takeaflight

takeaflight Read Only Funster

Fitting is straight forward, however I would recommend the fitting kit, which consists of four plastic plates that glue to the van roof and then you bolt the dome onto them. This makes for an easy removal should you change your motorhome.

Before you purchase you need to check that you have flat roof space large enough to accommodate the dome. I try to fit mine as close to the center line looking along the front and back of the van due to the extra height.

I have fitted a motion type to a friends van. As opposed to mine the static version it only had one cable which made for a smaller hole through the roof. Mine as two cables, the newer models may however only have one. Talk to Roadpro they are the main importers.

I used Quick Search for cable from RoadPro a water proof box.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  4. camcondor

camcondor Read Only Funster

We love our Camos - installation is not particularly difficult and use is very straightforward. However, you do need a direct line of sight to the satellite or you get absolutely no signal.

Very quick to set up once its locked on - within seconds of arriving at a site in fact.

Expensive, but if you have the money its a great system with excellent importer support from Road Pro.

Laurie:thumb:

5. adventure

adventure Read Only Funster

Hi

The camos dome is very easy to fit, it has a single coax cable that runs from the control box up to the dome, a water proof cable entry box is supplied.:Smile:

it also comes supplied with seleant to fix it to the roof, you will require a satellite receiver also.

nick

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi, an excellent review by Dave Burleigh from MHfacts, couldn't do a link so it's copy pasted..

7. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Camos

Hi

A bit away from your original question, so apologies in advance...

I have a Camos 40cm Static dome. I opted for static as I travel on my own for most journeys, and whilst Jenny the dog is clever, she does not really like watching TV.

I did not fit it personally, but the unit was supplied by Roadpro. Installation did not look complicated.

I am unable to comment scientifically on the performance of the unit, but what I can tell you is my static version is great. Last night for example, strong winds yet I was able to keep watching TV. Other units on the campsite had to lower their more conventional type dishes.

There is downside though - depending on your needs. The Camos worked at Lake Garda in Italy, but only for radio, C5 and SKY channels. There was not a signal re ASTRA2D that carries BBC and ITV. The signal for these channels returned closed to the Swiss/Italian border. Previously, I had an Oyster self seeker and this did work at Garda for BBC and ITV - but not durung heavy rain.

As I say, I know it is not the exact model that you are considering, but I hope this is a bit if useful information for you.

Russell

8. C.L.S

C.L.S Trader - Service & Repairs

Speaking with Roadpro the importer of Camos domes he has advised me there will be a large price increase 1st Feb. :cry:

9. madbluemad

madbluemad

Thats lucky I orderd a Camos crank up "plus" sat dish from roadpro on friday. Jim :Smile:

10. Ricklister

Thanks guys

11. Ricklister

Well guys I ordered it through Rob at Auto Mate in Newark on Monday afternoon and he is coming to fit it at my house on Wednesday

He is really helpful and offered me loads of advice and was about £400 cheaper than the price I got from another company in Newark:Eeek:, that £400 will fill the tank up a few times