Camos Crank Up

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Big Nick, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

I've just bought one of these and am really impressed with it.
    I ummed and arred for ages as many were saying go for a Snipe as its not much more but I found it was nearly double the price!!
    I got it fitted at Dave Newells who matched the cheapest online price and did a great job of hiding it all in the wardrobe and fitted an inline signal meter
    A quick look on YouTube and I had it tuned to Astra 2 in just over a minute for Freesat reception on my Avtex tv by 9 turns on elevation, using a compass to point it south then gradually moving east until the signal meter tone changed to high and the picture came on
    A great product, very easy to use and probably the cheapest permanent roof mounted satellite system out there

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ranger

Ranger Funster

Yes we have had ours for eight years now and been totally reliable. You just have to remember which way you turned it so you put it back the same way or the cable would be trapped. Good in wind as well.

3. Detnor

Detnor Funster

Dave Newell fitted mine 7 years ago and no issues at all. If you are in France you need an extra half turn.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

Yeah, Dave explained that the satellite is over the equator so the further south you are in Northern Europe the more you need to crank it up towards vertical.
    I was put off the Snipe owing to the extra cost and the failures of the unit I'd heard of whereas with the Camos it seemed to all be positive and many had used theirs without issues for years

5. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Actually the further South you are in Northern Europe the LESS you need to crank the system up as it is looking directly upwards when parked. Raising the dish actually depresses it towards the horizon.

D.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

Doh!! I knew what I meant!!

7. Marcus75

Marcus75 Funster

Hi, is your Camos plugged directly into your Avtex TV or is it running in to a Freesat box first?
    Many thanks.

8. Detnor

Detnor Funster

Don't know about @Big Nick but mine goes straight into the Avtex; it has a built in sat. Decoder.
    The lead from Camos goes into a finder first, then via an 'L' connector into TV. It means only 1 power lead and channel changing straight on the TV No problem with other satellites, Avtex handles them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

I have the same set up at Detnor above.
    I find the easiest way to tune it in as 9 turns of elevation, point it east then small rotation towards North and it's the first signal the sat finder starts to whine on. You can then fine tune the elevation until you get the highest whine on the sat finder

I can normally tune it onto Astra 2 in around 2 minutes when in the UK where the signal is strongest but in France it's a tad more difficult and often takes me twice that if away from the north coast

We got UK Freesat as far south as Le Puy En Velay which I thought was excellent for such a small unit

When out of range we tune into Astra 1 to get the news in English but it's mainly German tv on there !!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Marcus75

Marcus75 Funster

Many thanks!