Camos Crank-Up Satellite Dish (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2009
Near Tenterden, Kent
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Since 2009
Please could any users of the Camos crank-up advise the depth of the winding handle inside the M/H?

As I am 6'3", need to check headroom before putting the Camos on the short list.

Thank you in advance.

Rgds

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Or if you are old fashioned - like me. It drops 3" in total but only 2" without the handle.
The handle can be fixed in any position so it could be fixed so that it is out of the way when folded, but clearly it may be in a different position when deployed,
Hope you understand that?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Or if you are old fashioned - like me. It drops 3" in total but only 2" without the handle.
The handle can be fixed in any position so it could be fixed so that it is out of the way when folded, but clearly it may be in a different position when deployed,
Hope you understand that?

Hi Keith,

Have you arrived in Spain yet??

How is your Camos Flat dish working??

Ginny

DaveandJeanette

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
WELLINGTON SHROPSHIRE
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Camos Crank Up Satellite Dish

Hi All

Just had one fitted on Saturday
Havnt tried it in the field yet but at home it is very quick and easy.
It was fitted by Dave Newell.
He has an end of year offer on at the moment ÂŁ399 inc vat fitted.

Dave

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Hi Keith,

Have you arrived in Spain yet??

How is your Camos Flat dish working??

Ginny

Hi Ginny,

Not there yet, leaving Thursday for L'Estartit for Xmas & New Year.

Looks a bit cold over the channel. :Eeek:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi All

Just had one fitted on Saturday
Havnt tried it in the field yet but at home it is very quick and easy.
It was fitted by Dave Newell.
He has an end of year offer on at the moment ÂŁ399 inc vat fitted.

Dave

Hi Dave, was that the double LNB one???? Did Dave Newell come to your home??

Ginny

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Ginny,

Not there yet, leaving Thursday for L'Estartit for Xmas & New Year.

Looks a bit cold over the channel. :Eeek:

Hi Keith, I dont know about cold - I saw snow forecast in France - still you will be ok for the reasonable weather in Spain. How far down have you used your camos flat? As long as it works in Santa Suzanna it will b e great for us.

Do you take your sky receiver and a freeview box so you can switch to the freeview when you cant pull in Sky??

Ginny

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Has anyone done a comparison between the Camos plus and Maxview crankup in terms of programmes receivable on Astra 2 in the South of France and Spain.

There is a claim that the Camos plus is the equivalent of a 66cms dish. Is that because it is skewable?

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We fitted the Camos plus just before going to France. Fitting was easy. Using a compass and the compass card (fitted under the cranking handle) we often get signal lock before turning on the tv and box (it really is that easy) Used it all the way down through France, only struggled once on south coast near Cannes, couldn't get BBC1, 2 and ITV, still got 4 and 5 though. GREAT piece of kit and it's SO much more civilised than being outside with a tripod and 65cm dish trying to hear what the boss is telling me!

Hi, You say you struggled on the south coast near France, did you use it in Spain, because if it wont pull in Sky in the north of Spain it wont be any good for us. We spend 3 months in Santa Suzanna and although the company is fantastic, I couldn't manage for that length of time without BBC and ITV .

Ginny

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Hi Keith, I dont know about cold - I saw snow forecast in France - still you will be ok for the reasonable weather in Spain. How far down have you used your camos flat? As long as it works in Santa Suzanna it will b e great for us.

Do you take your sky receiver and a freeview box so you can switch to the freeview when you cant pull in Sky??

Ginny

I have a Sky box which i have used all the way down to Lagos in SW Portugal. Bit difficult with a weak signal down there but was never without some channels. Not BBC or ITV though.

You asked: Do you take your sky receiver and a freeview box so you can switch to the freeview when you cant pull in Sky??

First Ginny you will not be able to use a "FREEVIEW" box outside the UK. You can receive "FREESAT" channels from Astra via a none Sky receiver. (if I remember rightly you have one of these when I saw you at Newaark) But if you can get those channels you will get something on Sky.

Many people get confused by the 2 terms, FREEVIEW & FREESAT. They are totally different with freeview being available only in the UK through a terrestrial Ariel, & freesat only available with a satellite dish.

You should read the information found on http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/ it is one of the best sources of information on getting TV in Europe. This is where I got all my advice from when I first set up my dish in southern Europe.

Last edited:

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I have a Sky box which i have used all the way down to Lagos in SW Portugal. Bit difficult with a weak signal down there but was never without some channels. Not BBC or ITV though.

Is the dish you used the Plus model ie the larger of the two Camos flatsats?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp

Is the dish you used the Plus model ie the larger of the two Camos flatsats?

Mine is one of the old 'flats' bought when they were first produced - so I guess not a plus.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

You asked: Do you take your sky receiver and a freeview box so you can switch to the freeview when you cant pull in Sky??

First Ginny you will not be able to use a "FREEVIEW" box outside the UK. You can receive "FREESAT" channels from Astra via a none Sky receiver. (if I remember rightly you have one of these when I saw you at Newaark) But if you can get those channels you will get something on Sky.

Many people get confused by the 2 terms, FREEVIEW & FREESAT. They are totally different with freeview being available only in the UK through a terrestrial Ariel, & freesat only available with a satellite dish.

You should read the information found on http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/ it is one of the best sources of information on getting TV in Europe. This is where I got all my advice from when I first set up my dish in southern Europe.

Thanks Keith, you are right I was getting them confused. We always take Freesat digibox for use with the suitcase dish all the way down through France, and the Sky+ when we get down to Santa Suzanna when we set up the big dish and tripod.

What we both want is to have something which will work with Sky+ in Santa Suzanna so we dont have to carry all the weight and have the hassle of the big dish inside the motorhome on the way down. You say you have used yours in SW Portugal, have you used it north of Barcelona and managed to get BBC1 etc???

Ginny

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Thanks Keith, you are right I was getting them confused. We always take Freesat digibox for use with the suitcase dish all the way down through France, and the Sky+ when we get down to Santa Suzanna when we set up the big dish and tripod.

What we both want is to have something which will work with Sky+ in Santa Suzanna so we dont have to carry all the weight and have the hassle of the big dish inside the motorhome on the way down. You say you have used yours in SW Portugal, have you used it north of Barcelona and managed to get BBC1 etc???

Ginny

Tell you next week, when we get there. :thumb:

The trouble with that area is the North & South beams get confused & sometimes switch back and forth.

Last edited:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Tell you next week, when we get there. :thumb:

The trouble with that area is the North & South beams get confused & sometimes switch back and forth.

I bought Michael a Horizon satellite meter which makes finding the right satellite very easy. We look forward to hearing from you in Santa Suzanna, have a good journey down and we hope you have good weather, as well as a great Christmas on the beach!!

Ginny and Mike

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Teasy. I think you may have misunderstood the previous post whenmention was made of North and South beams. Its got nothing to do with a satellite finder. Its to do with reprogramming the Sky box to the south beam when you stop south of Barcelona.

Instructions on how to do this can be found on the satellite for caravans website. Its very easy.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Teasy. I think you may have misunderstood the previous post whenmention was made of North and South beams. Its got nothing to do with a satellite finder. Its to do with reprogramming the Sky box to the south beam when you stop south of Barcelona.

Instructions on how to do this can be found on the satellite for caravans website. Its very easy.

Oh Dear, I am on the wrong tack again!! At the moment we dont stay south of Barcelona, we have made some great friends, Brits, Germans and Dutch who all go back to the same site year after year and it is wonderful.

All we need - before paying to have the Camos flat plus fixed - is for someone to assure us that it will work for all the Sky channels when we get to Santa Suzanna, which is about 60 km north of Barcelona.

Ginny

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Teasy

If you can get anybody to assure you of anything when it comes to tv and satellite coverage I'll admit to being a chinaman.

My advice is chuck the sky box outa the window and get a cheap reciever. Get onto the Road Pro web site where you will find all manner of information concerning reception areas for the all of the defferent satellites.

Jim

:Smile:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Teasy

If you can get anybody to assure you of anything when it comes to tv and satellite coverage I'll admit to being a chinaman.

My advice is chuck the sky box outa the window and get a cheap reciever. Get onto the Road Pro web site where you will find all manner of information concerning reception areas for the all of the defferent satellites.

Jim

:Smile:

Thanks Jim, we already have a small receiver which we take with us, but being Yorkshire folk we cant see the point in paying Sky subscription and not getting the benefit of it abroad for 6 months a year!

Ginny:thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Thanks Jim, we already have a small receiver which we take with us, but being Yorkshire folk we cant see the point in paying Sky subscription and not getting the benefit of it abroad for 6 months a year!

Ginny:thumb:

There ye go Ginny, thats were your problem is, you need too be a real tight scouse b........ and get shut of that sky business.

Jim
:winky:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
ginnny here is roadpro map for there dish Link Removed i no its for the dome but i believe the crank up plus is larger and as the skew

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I have read on another thread that a Camos Plus will receive BBC/ITV on Astra2 as far as Rosas in Spain. However, these channels were also obtainable at Sitges (south of Barcelona) if you use the manual skewing mechanism on this dish but for this you need access to the roof.

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
The footprint map for the Camos Flat Sat Plus model is here:

Link Removed

How accurate these footprints are in practice is anybody's guess.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
The footprint map for the Camos Flat Sat Plus model is here:

Link Removed

How accurate these footprints are in practice is anybody's guess.

The PDF states very clearly that these use a combination of sources including RoadPro's own testing. Without guessing I can confirm I find them very accurate using my flat sat.

Currently just south of Barcelona & can get ITV sometimes depending on the time of day. It seems to fade out about late afternoon. BBC is a no no for me here, apart from News & parliament. I don't have a skew on mine so one of the newer ones with skew should do better.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back