Camera wiring (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Our van has two rear cameras, one wide angle pointing down, the other non-wide angle looking straight back. They're wired into a single monitor that lets me select which camera I want to use. So far so good.

The problem is, it works illogically. It has a "soft" power switch and if I turn it on before starting the engine, it turns off when the engine starts. It doesn't by default turn off when the engine is turned off nor does it automatically turn on when starting. If I manually select the wide-angle "reversing camera" before engaging reverse, it switches back to the regular rear view camera when I do put it into reverse.

If I don't switch it manually, it never switches to what I would call the "reversing camera" when I do engage reverse.

I get the feeling that some power feeds have got crossed somewhere. I would logically expect the system to go live when the engine is started and automatically select the wide-angle reversing camera whenever reverse is selected. I would also expect it by default to power down whe the engine is turned off.

Does this sound right? If so, is it likely to be a simple fix?

Tim

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Sounds like a software glitch in the monitor. In my limited experience of monitors they have:

-ve supply (earth)
+12v supply from an ignition-switched source
+12v from the reversing light circuit
Camera 1 input
Camera 2 input
Audio (rarely)

Camera 1/2 connections are interchangeable so if the wrong camera comes on when you select reverse simply change over the two camera connections. I do not know what effect swapping the two 12v feeds would have. It certainly would not cause any damage but just might explain the weird behaviour. You'll find all these connections not too far from the monitor and you should be able to identify the two 12v feeds very easily. A swap would be worth a try.

Your idea about how it should work is exactly how it should work.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Mine is only connected to the ignition feed. It comes on when I turn the ignition on and whichever camera was previously selected comes on. I avoided any other connections.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'll have a rummage behind the glovebox then. That's where the biggest rat's next lies. ;-)

Mine must have a third live feed though as it can be turned on with the ignition off.

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Okay, I've had a rummage and found the two camera plugs and swapped them. Cameras now work in the right order!

I can only find one permanently live fused feed to the monitor though. There is one other wire (from the depths of the car electrics that connects to both cameras. I presume this must be a feed from the reversing light circuit as the monitor knows when reverse is selected. Not sure why it's connected to two skinny wires that seem to go to the *cameras* rather than just one lead going to the *monitor* though.

Anyhow, I guess if I can be bothered to find a circuit that's only live with the ignition on I can fix the "not switching off with the ignition" problem. It's enough of a rats' nest already though without me waving a hot soldering iron in there messing things up. ;-)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi as has been covered above...
I'm busy putting a twin camera system into a van at minute...
Here's a picture of the simple wiring usually required...
An ignition feed or engine run signal is ideal for the supply... If it's off a permanent live an additional switch on dash would be good...
Andy
20160630_173019.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back