Camera`s... ?????

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by old-mo, May 27, 2014.

1. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

After reading the thread on a member having a come together with some nut...

Got me to thinking about a decent camera to mount on the dash..

Been looking on fleabay... thousands of them... :Doh:

Any pointers as to a good one.... and what SB card would I need... and are the cards interchangeable.. and where do you buy the cards.. :Smile:

Thanks.

2. Viennese

Viennese Funster

3. geo glasgow

geo glasgow Read Only Funster

Attached Files:

4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I think I paid £14.00 inc postage from China !! Its 1080p and is supposed to be adjustable focal length ( but is actually only a digital zoom )
    It has been in use for the past 3 years and it does bring a certain peace of mind..

BUT !!!
    If YOU cause an accident be sure to rip it out the window before any one notices it there !!!! :Wink: :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  5. stevec

stevec Funster

Been looking at the same thread. Does anyone know how much footage can be held on a 16GB card for example? Obviously depends on resolution. Can these cameras be used to record separate files or is it just one continuous file of the previous xxxx minutes?

6. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

On the camera I have you can set the "segment" length. The camera records in chunks of time (2 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes or whatever - not sure of the exact timings) and the camera saves each segment. It then writes over each segment from oldest to newest as you continue recording. If there is a sudden shock the camera "locks" that segment so it isn't overwritten. You can disable this feature as driving over a pothole can cause the segment to lock. With a rough track you may end up with a full SD card pretty quickly.

I'm not sure how long in total it records.

It isn't possible for me to download direct from the camera but I could download through a card reader. I haven't tried that yet as the camera is pretty new.

I got mine from Amazon purely because I wanted to be able to send it back if necessary without any problems. The same model is probably cheaper on ebay. I wouldn't send mine back - gives peace of mind. I unplug it when parked so it isn't running but leave it on the windscreen. - makes people think it is still recording and, possibly, transmitting the video to a remote monitoring facility. The internal battery is a waste of space.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

I have this one which I use when racing as well as when roadtesting customers vehicles or travelling in our motorhome:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321110757069?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

It records both vid streams simultaneously (although I gegerally only use the forward facing cam) as well as GPS data (location/speed) and G sensor info. For £39 delivered whats not to like?

Some vids from it can be seen on youtube by searching for "davey24249"

D.

• Like Like x 2
  8. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Just ordered the same as Mr. Motorhome... :thumb:

Thanks...:thumb:

9. cydersyd

cydersyd Funster

Does anyone know whether dash cams are legal in other countries?

We all know how fickle the French police have become!

Cyderyd.

10. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

I use mr GoPro Hero with the wide fishe eye setting & i use it every day in my truck, with the fish eye it catches views that i can not see normally then I just spend a few minutes deleting anything I dont want to keep twice a day.
    With a 64gb card I can record 4hrs @ 1080p 60fps or more at lower settings.

Not cheap though but beter than leaving it sitting on the shelf waiting for my next adventure.

11. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

I've got a dash cam which works well. I was thinking of getting another for SWMBO but wondered if this alternative to a Go Pro would be good (SJ4000) - plenty of complimentary reviews on the interweb. It would need the optional mount and charger for the car but seems like a good deal - has anyone else tried this model?

I like the thought of having it as multi functional camera - including use when skiing, cycling, snorkeling etc. Lots of mounts etc. come with it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Generic-Col...ie=UTF8&qid=1401272005&sr=8-3&keywords=sj4000

or http://www.banggood.com/SJ4000-Waterproof-HD-1_5-Inch-Car-DVR-Camera-Sport-DV-Novatek-1080P-p-917037.html

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  12. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

So far only Austria and Switzerland have a problem with them .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dashcam

13. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I tried a cheap 30 quid touch off e bay,a waste of money.

I then settled for the real job, a Roadhawk HD, daylight or dark, inbuilt gps to show continuos location on google map beside road video. Also shows speed ,date , time and directional g force and records sound, takes up to 64gb sd card, to replay directly on PC etc. HD video is excellent.
    It over writes full card but saves shock events .
    I bought extra suction mount and power supply to easily switch between car and RV .
    I have not notified insurer as I don't want my own gear costing me
    :thumb:

Last edited: May 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  14. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

So have I, lets hope it's worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

It wouldnt surprise me if they were unbranded GoPro, as when mine went wrong & they sent me new one the addresses on the paperwork were Netherlands Head Office & Japan as an originator supplier.