Camera performance

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Molls-Phot, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Molls-Phot

Molls-Phot Funster

I would like to ask those more experienced than us about your expectations from the rear view camera, namely what you would regard as acceptable performance in low light/near darkness when the IR sensors take over?

We have a system that is so poor that we would rather turn the monitor off than put up with the screen flashing every time a vehicle goes past. The exposure also varies randomly as the IR sensors and daylight sensor battle for supremacy. It's so bad that it is not much good even driving on a well lit road and virtually useless for reversing in anything other than daylight.

Is this just how it is or do we have a system not fit for purpose?

2. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Just bumping this for you Molls as I can't help. Mine isn't good enough to reverse at night either but someone will surely be by soon who can help you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. maxi77

maxi77 Funster

I have 2 systems, one dealler fitted high camera pair which give an excelent flicker free high resolution picture, and a low level ebaycheapie with a wireless link. It flashes a bit and sometimes is a bit fuzzy which I put down to the wireless bit but most of the time is OK. I donot use it much when driving so cant comment on passing vehicle performance.

Is your camera wired or wireless.

4. Molls-Phot

Molls-Phot Funster

This is a pre-wired, dual-lens system offered by the vehicle convertor. Not a cheap option either.

5. CeeJay13

CeeJay13 Read Only Funster

I have 2 cameras, one for reversing, the other as a rear view. They both have auto gain and IR and so when using the rear view, the screen appears to flash as you see no headlights and then headlights flood the picture until it takes control again. TBH it is very distracting and so switch off nightime. Daytime is fine.

6. maxi77

maxi77 Funster

In that case take it back perhaps with some phone video of the performance.