Camera cable entry into cab (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
II've figured out where the wiring is going to go behind the dash but need some advise on how to get the cable from under the MH to inside the cab. Any convenient grommet holes available? Can I use some acces from the engine bay or do I come in through a locker floor then along the cab floor. Interested in how other funsters have done it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Inside through lockers is easier

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Took mine through the upper lockers, behind the control panel above the hab door, into the cab door frame inner space, and down the front pillar and into the dash area under the glove top glove box, took quite a bit of fishing with pull throughs and old steel coathanger a few fffing moments but worked out well, (y)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
There is no definative easy way as every van is different. There is no shame in running along the chassis it can save a lot of messing about inside. No one size fits all!

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
How are you getting the cable from the camera down to floor level?

If it's inside then surely better to keep it inside to the front

Never seen a cable running down outside

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Many vans have a garage or a wardrobe at the back so it is easy to drop through the floor and away you go. Like I said there are very many different options. It's not clear cut to say inside is easier.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
The op asked for advice we're simply offering it ....if drilling a hole in to the van to put cable inside I'd keep it inside rather than drill another hole to take it out again where it's open to the elements whether that be through overhead lockers existing cable channels or under bed units kitchen units etc ......

Of course it is my opinion but that's what he asked for ....i never said it was easier I said it would be better and as few converters run a the electrics under the van I'd say it was a common thought.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for the advise everyone. I have an end kitchen layout and no panelling over the door. I had planned to take the cable through the rear top cupboards, down the corner of the MH and through the corner of the drainer. Then through the lower cupboard and through the floor. Along the chassis and up through the cab. I must admit to not having considered running it inside. I recon it may be do-able if I can get it past the door. I'll check that out tomorrow. It will mean drilling a lot of holes which I had hoped to avoid. Thanks for the suggestions.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Our cables run from the back of the underneath all the way to where the cab is, under the drivers step there is a grommet - you can clearly see it if you get down and have a look - just remove the plastic trim covers that are inside the foot well and the cables have been fed through there and run up along/behind the rubber that seals the door frame then the cables branch off to the fuse box - Watching the auto electrician do this made me think - "god that was simple", but i suppose its what you know, I am pretty sure if cameras had to be fitted again i could do it myself (y)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Was going to be impossible to run my cable inside the van, went underneath along a chassis rail and back into the cab via a drain hole in the vehicle battery box which sits under the floor between the front seats.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back