Free Member
Apr 14, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
6 years
OK - I know the subject of this post implies that I'm asking about the minimum time interval between belt changes, but in fact I'm not. I'm interested if that recommended interval (the figure varies, but 5 years seems to be a commonly quoted one) takes shelf life into account. In other words, does a cambelt only start to deteriorate when in the high-stress environment of a working engine? Could you (theoretically) fit a belt that has been in storage for (let's say) 5 years without it going PING after a mile? The reason I ask is that I've come across some old stock.

TIA,
-Steve W

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi

There is another thread on the forum which asks the same question. The consensus was that the cambelt detereorates over time and not just with mileage and so the detereoration starts when its fitted irrespective of mileage.

Jim
:Smile

:Link Removed

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
....Could you (theoretically) fit a belt that has been in storage for (let's say) 5 years without it going PING after a mile? The reason I ask is that I've come across some old stock.
False economy anyway considering the price of a new belt against the price of a new engine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back