Cambelt changed today

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by injebreck99, Mar 18, 2014.

1. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Had my 09 Bolero cambelt and waterpump changed by an old school garage just outside Norwich, they allowed me to supply my own (trade) parts, just charged for the labour so all in total £320 inc VAT, although the M/H is now 5 years old, it has only done 9K miles, there was no discernible wear on the old water pump or cambelt or pulleys, just in case anyone else is thinking of having theirs changed.

2. aba

aba

unfortunately the cambelts rarely show signs of wear they just snap so better having them done at the recommended timescale of around 5 years if you are not doing the mileage.
    after all it is just a rubber belt with some string in it a bit like a tyre.

• Like Like x 2
  3. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

I had mine done last week, it has 10,102 on the clock, do feel better with having it done.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dshague

dshague Funster

will be having ours changed next month :cry: whats money when it comes to peace of mind :RollEyes:

5. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

6. sadlonelygit

sadlonelygit Read Only Funster

cambelts?
    how quaint:Blush:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Trade Secret shhhhh keep it quiet
    Garage workshop time is paid for in two ways
    1. charging customers a price for the job
    2. making a profit on parts used
    The total of both make the profit reqd to
    1. pay the garage bills
    2.pay the mens wages
    Its simple maths and can not be played with,circumvented or manipulated in anyway whatsoever. if there is no parts profits the Hr rate has to be increased

So what the garage lost on parts will be added to your labour bill like it or belive it not, it will have to happen see maths above
    I own a garage so I do know, and ps we love customers to bring their own parts because
    You the customer are now standing your own gaurantee:Eeek: After all you supplied the parts:Doh:

• Like Like x 18
  8. aba

aba

I love the customers that come back and say since you topped up my oil the left rear tyre keeps going flat :Doh::Doh: so while I was under the bonnet I gave you a slow puncture at the other end of the vehicle that I never went near :Doh::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Larby

Larby Funster

Son has garage, customer bought his own exhaust system but was wrong, son fitted correct one and left customer to sort out his own refund on wrong parts! Not sure how involved cam-belt change on 09 Bolero but £320 for fitting ??:Eeek: Perhaps the replacement coolant was expensive?

10. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

The parts were supplied by the same people that supplied the garage anyway, and the labour cost was quoted before they agreed to let me, as a favour , supply my own parts at trade prices, plus they put in fresh antifreeze at trade price as well, they have now gained a new customer, and anyway, I am happy they make a profit, I have been given a years guarantee on the whole job as well, it was far better than the local Fiat main dealer quoted, £705 for the same job.! :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  11. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

The £320 was for the total job, my parts supplied plus their labour and VAT.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Before the end of the month I have to get my Renault serviced, mot, cambelt, new tyres and has a six inch crack in the windscreen that needs replacing before it will pass an mot. Oh, and with moving house I haven't been able to use it for the last four months.
    Oh, de pain!:Rofl1:

13. Larby

Larby Funster

OK, I stand corrected, that's not bad after all then with pump included.

You're are spot on regarding cam-belt and good advice from "aba". Changed mine at 18,000 miles last year, looked fine but as it's an 05, made in 04 with parts made in 2003 so around 10 years old. Look at the tensioner bearing that I removed, grease dried out and pitted through LACK OF USE.

Attached Files:

• DRY.jpg
      DRY.jpg
      File size:
      92.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  14. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

In my past experience, cam belts snapping completely was not that common, mostly the teeth were ripped off due to lack of correct tensioning, or the belt jumped the teeth when one of the tensioners/pulleys failed due to bearing failure.
    What I cannot understand is why Fiat made the water pump so complicated, anyone who has seen one will know that it is way too big! Incorporating a big alloy engine casing! what is wrong with a separate pump! held in by 3 bolts, much cheaper to make and fit, the genuine part was listed at nearly £200, my admittedly non genuine part, was £70 trade, probably made by the same people anyway.

15. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I suppose, so long as you believe what you are saying and your happy that's all that matters:Wink:

• Like Like x 5
  16. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

Had mine done last October. The bill was as follows:-
    Cambelt kit £95.80
    Labour £180.00
    +VAT

I was quite pleased with that.

17. Soaringman

Soaringman Funster

Do all ducato's need replacement cam belts?
    I've got a 3 litre 2010 fiat engine on my N&B have done 23,000 miles. Should I have it changed??

Seem to think I had a chain, but maybe that was the Mercedes I traded in for the MH :Blush:

18. don

don Read Only Funster

3litre has chain

• Like Like x 1
  19. stevec

stevec Funster

To the original poster, what garage was this? I'm near Norwich and the MH I am getting needs the cambelt changing. I have been quoted £445 by a local MH dealer (includes pump). My local garage doesn't have the height to get the van in!

20. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Hi, I am away until tomorrow afternoon, PM me then and I will give you contact details, or leave phone number if you want to chat.