cambelt change

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by jandv, Apr 28, 2013.

1. jandv

jandv Read Only Funster

:Doh: hi just bought an 08 2.3 fiat with 12000 miles and i am going to have a new cambelt fitted but garage wants to fit a new water pump also,is this correct !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Doh:

2. dshague

dshague Funster

my garage said the same ,wile you have the engine stripped down check pulley and water pump fit new ...cost pump ,pulley and timing belt £300.

3. brynric

brynric Funster

My Garage always recommends this. They renew relatively cheap bits when the bigger job is stripped down. I'm due a cam belt change on my '07 Ducato soon and I'll check the other bits have been done.

4. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

Replaced timing belt on my 07 2.3 last week and was going to do the water pump aswell but garage said on mine it was easy to get at so could be done fairly easily by its self

5. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

the reason why it is reccomended that water pumps are changed along with some cambelts, is that the toothed pulley on the pump forms part of the cambelt set up [along with tensioner wheels and diesel fuel pump sprocket] if you dont change it you run the risk of the water pump center bearing failing due to the tension which the new timing belt puts on it ! if it does, then virtually the whole job has to be done again to replace the failed and[ usually by then] leaking water pump ! like most things in life its a case of is it worth not changing when they can cost as little as £10 trade !!! regards garry

6. Larby

Larby Funster

Incredible as it may seem, your garage was trying to save you money and hassle long term.
    I endorse what greyman says above. My son has a garage and some people want just a cam-belt and wont pay for a tensioner and pulley set.
    And look what can happen to a worn and brittle tensioner. This engine was about to let go, it came in for an MOT and we were drawn to the cam-belt area and saw the broken bit bouncing around !

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if its a ducato your garage was lying to you.

to change the pump means the same amount of work as changing the belt.

the pump is driven by the cam belt and it needs to come off to change the pump.

for an extra 20 minutes work and maybe £30 for a pump its false economy not to swap out the pump at belt change.

8. chaser

chaser Funster

I have an 07 pug 2.2 with a chain, so when does the pump want doing on that, or is it on the fanbelt where they always were and still should be, just haven't looked as I know I should but saw this thread so wondered, thanks

9. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

in general, if a water pump is run via the fan belt [as in a chain drive engine]and therefore does not form part of the cambelt drive, then in theory it should not need replacing unless it becomes faulty or leaks but in reality it is sometimes prudent to replace them if you have to fit a new fan belt or auto tensioner, [for the very same reasons as with the cambelt. it is the retensioning of parts that have gradually settled in and worn together over time that usually causes the problems !!] regards garry

10. trackar

trackar Read Only Funster

no need just yet

recomendation for cambelt change is 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever
    comes first.
    if the water pump isn't leaking then why change it.

11. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Read the persuasive arguments above.

We didn't the first time, next time we will.

Which I guess, because we haven't had a pump problem, sort of confirms your remark.

12. trackar

trackar Read Only Funster

no need to change

cambelts are scheduled for change every 60,000 miles or every 5 years
    whichever occurs first.
    If the water pump isn't leaking then why change it.