Camargue

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by goldenline, Jul 15, 2014.

1. goldenline

goldenline Funster

Going to have a few days in the Camargue starting thursday but have been warned to expect lots of mosquitoes, has anyone been there this time of year
    Alan

2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Yes, was absolutely plagued by the wretched things. However, we were in a tent and it wasn't a mozzy proof one. I think if you have screens on all the windows, burn mozzy coils etc and open and shut doors quickly you will be OK at night. During the day/evening when outside covering up with long sleeved shirts, trousers tucked into socks is the most effective way to avoiding being bitten although they will bite through thin socks. Chemical of your choice for the bits you can't cover. Can't especially recommend any specific potion but if you leave a gap unplastered anywhere they will find it. And even if they stop you being bitten it won't stop them settling on your clothing and flying around your face. A head net, Highlander brand, I can recommend.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sillybug

sillybug Funster

would agree with previous post but last year we were there a week later and have to say we were very lucky and had no problems no idea why but not one bite.we moved along coast towards sete and found a brill aire cant remember the name but it was about 2 miles from sete on a main roundabout and cost 4 euros a night and was lovely. hope you have a great time:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

Maplins are advertising electronic insect killers at half price, they would be a necessity down there at this time of the year.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Been a few times and always found plenty of the little fellas around…..

Make sure you have good mosi nets and doors and use them ! There's plenty of water ditches and ponds around the Camargue so it's a good idea to stay well aways from these if possible, our first site in 2006 had a pond in it, we thought it was great until about 5pm.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sadlonelygit

sadlonelygit Read Only Funster

7. Cobweb

Cobweb

We passed through there many years ago in August on a canal boat and YES
    the Mozzies were out big time ! We locked ourselves down below on our boat but were amazed by the locals who were out for an evening stroll apparently not bothered by them ! A few years ago we stayed in a aire at Aigues Mortes
    and had no problem but it was early season . The town by the way is worth a visit.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

I don't know what it is like at this time of year, as June is the latest we have been there.. A great place to see which is in our opinion "unique" is Peimanson.. It is near where the Rhone Canal enters the sea and is opposite Port St Louise.. It is a nature beach which leased to campers free between 1st
    of May and 1st October. It is solid to drive on and is a huge sandbar out in the sea, reached by driving down a small road between salt lakes (with Flamingoes).. The first Kilometre is for "Textiles" i.e... People who wear clothes.. The next Kilometre is for Naturists (people who don't ) and the last Kilometre is for Gays..
    I did say it was unique !! But a fantastic beach... No Mossies on the beach !!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bejay

Bejay Read Only Funster

We were in Arles 4 weeks ago and the mozzies were about.:mad: We blast the Van with all windows closed with a spray every evening and stay away for 15 minutes (all food stuff locked away). Its lets you sleep with some confidence! :sleep:
    Bejay

10. goldenline

goldenline Funster

Well as they say plan A never works. We are now going to castellane near the gorges du verdon tomorrow as we have our 8 year old grandaughter for the next few days as mum is working and castellane is only a couple of hours away. The camargue will have to wait until september when the grand children are back at school. Still i am sure we will enjoy

11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The mozzies will be even bigger by September! But your alternative venue is in a wonderful region as I am sure you know.

12. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

We have only once been to the Camargue at this time of year, and the mozzies were horrendous. They were only the ordinary ones but they were there in such quantities. The mesh doors on the toilet block (to keep them out) looked like they were covered in fur but it was actually a thick layer of mozzies. I prefer to go much further West where it is more arid, and thus no water for the b8gg8rs to breed in.