Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Hi folks,

Looking for recommendations for campsites in the Camargue. My kind of thing is as follows :

1. Quiet and peaceful - doesn't have to be on top of a beach or have facilities for children - not to have them would be a bonus

2. Would be nice to have restaurant on site or within walking distance

3. Electricity and water on pitch

Will be there mid/late May for approx five nights.MoHome will stay put as we will be cycling everywhere we need to go.

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
parigby

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
I'm beginning to wonder if anyone has actually been to a site in the Camargue. Surely someone has, or is it that there aren't any quiet / peaceful ones ?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I'm beginning to wonder if anyone has actually been to a site in the Camargue. Surely someone has, or is it that there aren't any quiet / peaceful ones ?

Stopped at a fishing lake/camperstop about 6 miles west of Aigues Mortes a few years ago,,restaurant on site..easy cycle into Aigues,,,can't remember the name though..BUSBY,,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Whatever you do stay away from Les Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer in the weeks around 24th May. This is when there is a gypsy festival and the place is overrun with thousands of them.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Whatever you do stay away from Les Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer in the weeks around 24th May. This is when there is a gypsy festival and the place is overrun with thousands of them.
If you look on CamperContact (other websites are available :)) you will several aires at Saintes Maries and the odd site although there must be other sites as well. Being next to the sea there might be fewer mosquitoes - I still have the scars from the beasties met on my first visit to the Camargue.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Stayed once on the Canmargue - very peaceful - just us and 10 billion mosquitoes. Seriously, it can be horrendous so go prepared.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
At Saintes Maries de la Mer there's a campsite almost on the beach.

I can't tell you any more about it because we used the aire that's right next to it. I can recommend the grassy/sandy bit around the back rather than the tarmac bit right on the front.

Echo what @lunarman says about the Gypsy festival. Google exactly when it is and avoid the place completely for a week either side of it. There are always lots of gypsies around but during the festival the town is basically theirs. Don't worry about them the rest of the time, they're fine.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
There are quiet sites in the Camargue, but there are more mozzies than anywhere. I have avoided the area for years for this reason.

Chatting to a friend the there week who had been a year or so ago with some other friends. Seriously true - the mozzies were so bad he put on his wet suit to get from one van to the other! Wish I had a photo

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We were there in the summer and had no mossy problem but the guy who ran the site told me that they had recently sprayed,,,i presume with insecticide,,,BUSBY,,

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
At Saintes Maries de la Mer there's a campsite almost on the beach.

Camping La Brise, We spend two weeks on it last year.. big site but not noisy, toilet blocks are dated but kept clean, good swimming pool.. we had tons of space.. very good security, free wifi.. no problem with mossies or feral kids, cafe and shop on site, beach on your doorstep.. good dog walking and cycling. Short walk into to town, good selection of restaurants.

Very interesting town with a good market and a church that you can go on the roof, climb up the tiles to view the town ..

http://www.camping-labrise.fr/en/campsite-saintes-maries-de-la-mer

Attachments

• IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0386.jpg
    IMG_0386.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0403.jpg
    IMG_0403.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0462.jpg
    IMG_0462.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
One of our favorite areas, we always stay on Aires or wild camp. Never had a problem with mozzies but it has always been mid to late September.
Love Saintes Maries de la mer, no shortage of places to stay, 5 Aires and campsite we like the Aire on the beach at the east end like wild camping but you have to pay.

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
One of our favorite areas, we always stay on Aires or wild camp. Never had a problem with mozzies but it has always been mid to late September.
Love Saintes Maries de la mer, no shortage of places to stay, 5 Aires and campsite we like the Aire on the beach at the east end like wild camping but you have to pay.

He wants a campsite with water on the pitch !!!

Our experience of the Carmmague is BIG campsites with SMALL pitches. Loads of ants and other peoples kids running around.

Like Lenny I'd suggest aires

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
The site at Sts Marie mentioned above was fine in April 2013 when we were there, though I think water was a short trek, rather than on the pitch.

There is a shop and cafe (a good steak baguette I remember). Good sanitary facilities and a pool open from start of season.

We stayed longer than originally intended because the Mistral dropped and the air quality was astonishing. No insects that I recall.

People were catching fish in the petit Rhone next to the site.

We might make an exception to our current Aires whenever possible policy if we go back that way.

Dave

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
To be honest I don't remember mosquitos being a particular problem when we were there last August.

Mar 27, 2016
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 408
Exp
Since 2016
Never camped but stayed in a hotel in May and the mozzies were atrocious. We were on a bird watching trip. Birds like eating insects and there we're lots there. Full body spray in 50%deet was used every morning to lesson risk. Those less sensible in the group we could see them attached to their tshirts biting through. It maybe better if you stay somewhere with a breeze.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the aire at Saintes Maries de la merstarts as a concrete carpak close to the town and runs right along the beach its just how brave you are driving along the sand thats the limit

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
the aire at Saintes Maries de la merstarts as a concrete carpak close to the town and runs right along the beach its just how brave you are driving along the sand thats the limit

That's only one part of it.

If you follow that all the way along to the end past the beach restaurant place and follow the track around to the left there is a second part to the aire right at the back of the campsite. This part is grassy with hard roadways. I'd imagine it was part of the campsite at some point.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Years ago at the saintes maries beach aire you used to pitch up where you liked and someone would collect the money later that night. If you went down the track far enough sometimes the guy on the moped couldn't be bothered to go down that far and you got the occasional freebie, I think those days are long gone. :sneaky:

Pete

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Years ago at the saintes maries beach aire you used to pitch up where you liked and someone would collect the money later that night. If you went down the track far enough sometimes the guy on the moped couldn't be bothered to go down that far and you got the occasional freebie, I think those days are long gone. :sneaky:

Pete

There's a little hut at the entrance now where the man sits and takes your money when you arrive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back