Cam belt who-har (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
the fact that many engines including the ducato 3.0l are chain driven should be a clue. all that power through a perishing rubber band was never a brilliant idea

what power ? the belt doesn't drive the power train..

the size of the engine , be it a 2lt or 3 lt, has no bearing on the work done by the belt..

A timing belt runs quieter, is more efficient and produces less emissions, will not stretch over time, whereas a chain will wear. That wear will degrade performance over time. Depending on the vehicle, that may or may not even be noticeable.

A timing belt system requires much less engineering, and simpler usually translates into fewer things that could break down the road. Also cheaper to manufacture. .. and cheaper to replace than chain and sprockets.

Belts are not rubber bands, they do not stretch over time.. they have fiber glass strands going though them.. some more expensive ones have Kevlar..

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Yes I've experienced timing belt failures twice, once on my wife's Fiat Brava which cost me £250 to fix (and that's trade prices for parts and doing the work myself) and once on my son's Focus which actually destroyed the engine block (cracked cylinder). And I've been in the motor trade since 1977! I've also seen chains fail, the old A and B series motors from BMC/BL relied on a rubber band to tension the chain but from about 10,000 miles upwards they would rattle. On a car I'm building (slowly) I've used a Cosworth V6 engine which is chain driven but known to have reliability issues with the chain after 60,000, mine has done 64,000 so will get a new chain and tensioners before it is fired up. Chains do fail, maybe not as frequently as belts but they do still fail.

D.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
£250 every 5 years against £3000 rebuild ; "no brainer"
Can you tell me your garage please, I need to get a price like that! A Renault dealer has just quoted me £900 for a cam belt service!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
Can you tell me your garage please, I need to get a price like that! A Renault dealer has just quoted me £900 for a cam belt service!!!
when I looked at a renault master van last year there was no record of the cambelt being done so I phoned around renault dealers and found the price from renaullt truck dealers was far less than renault car dealerships
I think its pricey because the change the crank pulley as well and also its dearer if you have aircon for some reason probably different crank pulley

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
My 3 motors all diesel all chain 2.2 honda 3.0 merc and 3.0 Renault with Nissan engine I stayed clear of the 2.5 Renault because it was belt.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back