Calor's Crazy Policy! (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I have recently equipped our MH with a twin Gaslow installation and I now have no need for two 13kg Calor propane cylinders. Both cylinders are now empty so l took them back to my local dealer hoping that he would take both and let me have a Calor Lite for use with the garden BBQ. I then discovered that Calor had a “Cylinder Exchange Policy”. See: Broken Link Removed. Apparently the policy helps Calor to manage their cylinder stock – or so they say! He would take my empty cylinders if I was prepared to gift them to Calor and take £63.74 off me for a new Calor Lite and new lease. I politely declined and battled my way up the chain of responsibility at Calor until I got fairly near the top. The result was [as you have made such a song and dance about it] we will allow you to purchase a full 6kg for just the exchange price in exchange for the two 13kgs. Through perseverance I will get what I want but it is a one off, but I still rate them as one of the very worst companies to deal with.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
They appear to change their policy depending on current stock and supply I've found in the past, they have an amnesty every so often where you can swop any calor cylinder for any other.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
One option is to flog them on eBay, buyer collect. You could get about £10-12 each, as it'll save a new buyer having to pay the non-returnable deposit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Never had any issue swapping steel cylinders for calor lite in the past. Perhaps its down to lack of lite stock.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
That was the case recently Phill when they were recalling calor lite, I had to wait 6 weeks for a replacement having made the mistake of leaving it with a local garage.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Should have told them you cant 'gift' something to someone who already owns the item (you only rent the bottles) and as they appear to be saying they dont own them you will make them into wood burning stoves and sell them at a profit.

Shovelheadrob

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Soon to be 5th wheeler
Exp
On & off for 20 years
That is one of the reasons I use Flogas, my local supplier is great, I went in the other day to get an extra cylinder for the 5th wheel & they just gave me one "because I'm a good customer" I did used to spend around £250 a month there when I was running LPG in my old truck, but the new one is diesel so they only see me occasionally now.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Typically Calor.! I have had Calor Cylinders from the early 70`s when we first started caravanning. Recently I asked about returning a 13kg propane, and a Butane which used to be used in a Heater, now which are surplus to requirements, and would I get a refund! of the original Deposit? the Calor agent said they could not accept them unless I Had the original receipt. (after 35 YEARS!!!). It`s Obvious that the cylinder is theirs, Err?? Its Painted and labelled and STAMPED. So I suppose it can only be because without the "Receipt" our old friends the Itinerants would be stealing them and flogging them back to calor?!!!!. I suppose I could try Fleabay?. Two cylinders £5-00 each (Empty). I asked about swapping my 2- 7kgs for "lites" at the time, It was going to cost me over £30-00 EXTRA.!!!. And no trade on my Steel Cylinders either (because I don't have the "receipt")

Pete.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
They appear to change their policy depending on current stock and supply I've found in the past, they have an amnesty every so often where you can swop any calor cylinder for any other.

The current swop policy is here... Broken Link Removed

There are five gas bottle groups as shown below. You can exchange a gas bottle within the group, without having to pay for an extra cylinder refill agreement.
If you wish to exchange your gas bottle, for a bottle in another group, then your purchase will be subject to an extra cylinder refill agreement at an additional cost shown in table below.

Bottles can only be exchanged free of charge for bottles in the same group ..

Note: Lite (Group 3) cannot be exchanged for any other.

Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
it was a couple of years ago, but I had no problem changing 2 x 13k and 1 x 3.9k for 3 calor lite 6k all propain, i did ring round the dealers first, a couple of stockists said no but a main dealer in Sheffield changer them.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
You may also find that the "refund" you might get depends on the length of time you've used them. When I checked (several years ago) it diminished to zero after a couple of years AND I was told I would have to return them to the original dealer (along with the receipt).

I've "sold" 3 so far, at £5 each (or should I say "reassigned the lease"?) - Gordon

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
My local gooutdoors seems pretty flexible regarding exchange, apart from the lite bottles.
Don't know if they will exchange those, as they NEVER have any in stock...
Otherwise, damned good service from them (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know where you all live, but if you are anywhere near kidsgrove, Stoke on Trent, you would do a lot worse that visit this bloke
Broken Link Removed
He will change anything for anything, not only calor , flogas and all sorts, even got foiegn bottles and fittings, and very reasonable

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have recently equipped our MH with a twin Gaslow installation and I now have no need for two 13kg Calor propane cylinders. Both cylinders are now empty so l took them back to my local dealer hoping that he would take both and let me have a Calor Lite for use with the garden BBQ. I then discovered that Calor had a “Cylinder Exchange Policy”. See: Broken Link Removed. Apparently the policy helps Calor to manage their cylinder stock – or so they say! He would take my empty cylinders if I was prepared to gift them to Calor and take £63.74 off me for a new Calor Lite and new lease. I politely declined and battled my way up the chain of responsibility at Calor until I got fairly near the top. The result was [as you have made such a song and dance about it] we will allow you to purchase a full 6kg for just the exchange price in exchange for the two 13kgs. Through perseverance I will get what I want but it is a one off, but I still rate them as one of the very worst companies to deal with.

Rob dogs but they have the monopoly in the leisure market virtually .....BUSBY.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
In defense of Calor..

as far as I know, they are the ONLY supplier who supply nation wide..

you can buy Calor in nearly every town and village in the UK .. mainland and islands.. so you never need to fear of running out.. so while it may seem expensive they can't make much carting it to far flung Scottish islands ..

It's like the Post Office .. other carriers cherry pick and offer cheaper or better service, while the post office have to deliver to every post code in the UK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back