LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Go Outdoors are also doing them at £19.80 at the moment.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Terry..

In my opinion ( don't want jumped on, so it is ONLY MINE ) the adapter in not intrinsically dangerous .. it's the muppet using it that will cause an accident ..

As I see it there are two main dangers ..

a) Overfilling the bottle beyond the safe limit of 87% ( Calor use this as a max safe fill )
b) Forgetting to isolate the bottle BEFORE removing the filling gun

Overfilling MAY result in liquid LPG entering the LP side of the van regulator.. I haven't seen this happen but I can imagine it could be alarming , to say the least.

Forgetting to isolate the bottle WOULD result in a large gas cloud on the forecourt .. again, I haven't seen this happen but I don't want to be around when , not if, it happens.

So, there we have it, safe if used correctly ... but extremely dangerous in the wrong hands ..

Ask yourself this question .. If you were an LPG proprietor would you be happy with people using them.. ?

I know my answer.. but again. it is only my opinion ...
:thumb:I have to agree with what you say ::bigsmile::thumb:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Terry, I understand what you are saying about recommendations but I think the information in Chris's post indicates that the advice has a solid legislative base.

The Transportable Pressure Vessels Regulations referred to include a requirement for inspection of the bottles (Regulation 7(1)) which cannot be undertaken if the bottles are not returned to whichever company issued them. Lack of inspection would eventually result in certification becoming outdated and anyone filling the bottle would fall foul of Regulation 7(2).

Graham

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Again Graham, not saying you are wrong or right :Smile:
the advice has a solid legislative base
but can also be argued that as it is not law, it has no base ! Laws are laws and not open to individual interpretation
If you own your own bottles who inspects them ? Do you send your gaslow etc, bottles back for inspection every time you fill them ? Of course not :ROFLMAO::winky:
terry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If you own your own bottles who inspects them ? Do you send your gaslow etc, bottles back for inspection every time you fill them ? Of course not :ROFLMAO::winky:
terry

Not every time, no - but that is not what the regulations for Gaslow require :Smile:

From the Gaslow web site Link Removed:
Your cylinders are manufactured to European Standard EN1442 and each one
has its own unique certificate and identification stamped into the bottom foot shroud of the cylinder.
IMPORTANT: Please note the retest date which, on the above example is 2019. This cylinder MUST be returned to your local dealer or contact us direct to exchange the cylinder for a new one during that year as it shows that our 15 year warranty has run out.

Graham

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Not every time, no - but that is not what the regulations for Gaslow require :Smile:

From the Gaslow web site Link Removed:

Graham
So Graham, I am ok for another 14 years or so before having my gas bottle inspected :Eeek::thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::winky:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I am OK Graham :thumb:I HAVE A FELT PEN :thumb: going to write 2030 on the side :ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brian, I accept it wasn't intended as a personal attack but it did feel like you were having a 'pop' , albeit with the best intentions.. no offence taken.

I suppose I was having a 'pop' at you but not in a nasty way, it just struck a chord how funny we humans are, you immediately analysed all that could go wrong with Jo Public poking into electricity but not gas because it's not your field of expertise.

It was partly tongue in cheek, I expected the usual torrent of abuse from all users who certify that it's completely safe, which, like electricity is also safe until that day when a plonker does ?????

And when it does go wrong:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1sf82_explosion-in-lpg-facility_news

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I suppose I was having a 'pop' at you but not in a nasty way, it just struck a chord how funny we humans are, you immediately analysed all that could go wrong with Jo Public poking into electricity but not gas because it's not your field of expertise.

Absolutely correct Brian, it is not my field of expertise, that doesn't mean I have no experience of LPG plant and equipment .. and also seen the consequences when it all goes tits up .. remember Piper Alpha ? I was off shore then and witnessed the inferno ..

Nonetheless.. in my original post I merely said it 'can' be done, without qualifying and of course such a comment could have been misconstrued as sanctioning, the point you so eloquently picked up on ..

I then gave my opinion about using a filling adaptor.. which I hope made it clear where I stand. With hindsight my first comment would perhaps been better not said..

The practice of filling bottles is already being clamped down on, I have seen notices in several filling stations to the effect that it is not allowed... it can only be a matter of time until the adaptor is redundant...

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
am not paying that

hi thanks ,everyone who has been having pop at meDee TOMMY harry says how much ?:Smile:and all i say is am not payin that

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I was reading a thread on the wildcamping forum, aparently the cheapest way to refill propane bottles is to buy a 47KG bottle and decant into smaller ones. Decanting can be done by gravity.

I AM NOT CONDONING THIS PRACTICE JUST MENTIONING IT

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I was reading a thread on the wildcamping forum, aparently the cheapest way to refill propane bottles is to buy a 47KG bottle and decant into smaller ones. Decanting can be done by gravity.

I AM NOT CONDONING THIS PRACTICE JUST MENTIONING IT

no one brave enough to comment ... ? :roflmto:

well, in my opinion..

it has the same inherent dangers as using a filling adaptor, ie, overfilling and gas escaping .. with the added risk of a hernia .. :thumbdown:

I have seen it done, it is a slow process ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back