Calor Propane Liight

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by dellwood33, Sep 21, 2010.

1. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

I ran out of gas at the CC Site at Hillend near Salisbury. No problem I thought, they usually have ample supplies. This had one bottle available and I only had to pay £25.99 for the swap ! :Angry:
    I am currently at a CC site at Ferry Meadow s & their price is £21 per bottle :Smile:.
    Obviously the gas gets cheaper as you travel north - How much will it be at the Lincoln Show ? :BigGrin:

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Probably higher price at the show - there's normally a premium at such events.

Just had a look on the Calor web site and they don't give a price for Calor Lite. Probably embarrassed to admit how much extra they charge over the standard bottle.

Graham

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

AFAIK .. they charge £2 more than a standard bottle .. another Calor rip off

on the plus side.. you can refill using the ebay adaptor .. :thumb:

4. keith

keith Funster

5. pablomc

pablomc Funster Life Member

I keep seeing this mention of using an ebay adaptor to refill, but where can you actually refill a bottle in the UK?

6. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

I can't help wondering why Calor are able to hold the monopoly on gas in this country. Surely if we are all members of the EU all of the companies should have equal rights to sell their products. I much prefer Butagas' Le Cube to Calor gas

Wyn

7. tommytli

tommytli Funster

any lpg pump at petrol stations, well i do:Wink:

8. pablomc

pablomc Funster Life Member

I am correct in thinking that this would not normal be allowed, strictly speaking?

9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

In one breath you are pouring scorn on anyone daft enough to go near electricity and here you clearly condone the illegal and dangerous act of filling Calor tanks.

From here they look equally dangerous with the added spice that filling the tank is illegal.

10. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Calor don't hold a monopoly, there are many other companies. FloGas, BP to name a couple.

What is lacking is standardisation of couplings. Each company has its own type and size of clip-on regulator. The only common fitting is the screw fitting on the small blue calor bottles. In this country all propane suppliers use the same fitting, but this fitting is different on the continent, where the small screw thread seems to be in regular use for both butane and propane.

When I was a Calor agent I had to sign an agreement that stated, when I ceased to supply their gas I could not supply another brand for 2 years. Now that is wrong.

Calor is by and large the widest available brand. As a result if you wish to move about and get refills easily you stand a better chance of getting a Calor replacement to any other brand.

John

11. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Brian, you know the score, we argue with the content of posts rather than dig at the poster. We know where that ends and the type of forum we end up with:Eek!:. No personal stuff please. Thanks:Smile:

12. hilldweller

Sorry, I didn't see it in that light, I was showing how posts are biased by the experience of the poster.

Quite rightly Jim said the proposed electrical idea of Bryan was fatally flawed.

But, with no gas qualifications, he ( and many other FUNsters ) condone filling gas tanks.

It's a cautionary tale for all FUNsters, any advice seen is just as likely to kill or cure you.

It was not intended as a personal attack.

13. Terry

Terry Funster

It is not illegal to refill your own bottles :thumb:
    UNTIL Calor see fit to give me my 3 x £25 deposit back on the said bottles ( after 2 years and the co, I bought them off going bust :Eeek:) I shall consider them now my own and as such refill them when I see fit :thumb: If they want to reimburse me for the bottles I will gladly let them have them :BigGrin::Wink: and continue to use/fill my own non Calor bottles :thumb:
    terry

14. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Then address the issue not the persons:Smile:

I did not see it as an "attack", but I just re-read it and it did look like you were having a pop at Scotjimland for his views on those two issues.

I accept that you say this was not intentional, let's leave it there. Thanks:Smile:

15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Interesting post because I genuinely don't know the law covering this.

Strictly speaking, according to the Refill Agreement none of us can claim ownership of Calor bottles as the contract does not pass title and none of us can fill the bottles ourselves as the contract forbids it :Smile:

Leaving that aside, however, what is the legislation (if any) which covers refilling of Calor type bottles (as opposed to fitted systems such as Gaslow/Alugas)? Is there any statute which allows it or any statute which forbids it?

Presumably if the law is silent then (again leaving aside the Calor Refill Agreement) we have to rely on the terms of the contract we enter into with the LPG supplier we use and whether or not they ban filling of such cylinders. Is that the case?

Graham

16. hilldweller

That is why I specified Calor. Legally ( morally does not count ) they own them and rent them to you and the rental agreement says you are not allowed to fill them.

Gaslow, which I have, are owned by me and contain an overfill prevention cut off valve.

This was a serious safety comment, Jim and several others did a good job of making FUNsters aware of the dangers of 3 phase electricity. But for some reason many people actively encourage filling gas tanks which if done incorrectly is more dangerous than 415V which is relatively localised in it's damage zone whereas a gas tank venting can take out a hundred yard blast zone. We all see this on TV, the fire brigade clear whole streets if they find gas tanks are involved.

I hope I've not offended Jim but I make no apologies in making people think hard about refilling gas bottles. People who buy the fillers will probably be quite safe filling them but one day we'll get "Dad I filled the bottles for you".

17. hilldweller

18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Thanks Brian. Obviously adequate training in the use of any hazardous tool/substance is a good idea but I was actually trying to find out the legal position. If the law prohibits user filling then even if the user were fully trained he would still be prohibited.

Graham

19. Jim

Jim Ringleader

If you google it, you just get lots of threads like this on motorhome and boating forums; arguing whether it is or isn't illegal.:BigGrin: If over-filled bottles are as dangerous as some say they are; then clearly the practise should be illegal. :Eeek:

20. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

We've been here before, and I make no apology for repeating my views.

The filling of gas cylinders using mickey mouse adapters is a dangerous practice, as is carrying them or filling them laid on thier sides in a car boot, as has been suggested in previous threads.
    LPG cylinders must be stored, transported and used upright: check out the relevant MSDS.

We are getting back into the "It suits me, therefore it's ok" way of thinking.
    Legislation or no legislation, if the practice as advised by some on here was safe, the fuel companies would not only allow it, but would encourage it to increase sales.
    Fuel Companies are far more interested in profit than some are in saving a few bob.
    There will be those who will say they have "never had a problem refilling cylinders".
    What is missing from the above statement is "yet".

I work in the dangerous goods world, and misuse by unqualified untrained people is something I feel strongly about.
    The horror stories regarding cock ups due to corner cutting by people who THINK they know better than the manufacturer / producer of substances are endless.
    PEOPLE GET KILLED!
    When something goes bang it will probably be someone elses fault, it always is.
    Refilling gas cylinders improperly is both irresponsible and dangerous.

I have just checked the Calor agreement, and the stated fill method in the terms and conditions is by exchange.
    This agreement, like any other, constitutes a contract.

What price is your safety and the safety of others?