Calor mini BBQ (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We are at the NFOL at Malvern County Show Ground this weekend and at the Calor stand they have Calor mini BBQs for sale £99.99.
Has anyone got one? Good points v any bad points ? It's got to be lighter than our Cadac carry chef. I would be grateful for any comments.
Anyone?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I saw one in the flesh somewhere but can't remember where but wasn't overly impressed - its small and the gas canister won't be cheap to exchange although you could use it with a different one with the right regulator I think.

There's a used one on Ebay here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Calor-Min...ishing-Garden-Boat-Grill-Picnic-/172317357236

Personally I'd either go for one of these as having the lid certainly helps to speed up the cooking and it can be used similarly to an 'oven' too:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crusader-...-Camping-Caravan-inc-Lava-Rocks-/161750589986

There's also the more 'deluxe' version like this which is even better:

Whilst looking on Ebay I came across this which is interesting!

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks Minxygirl. Will keep looking but rather liked the look of the mini BBQ and would like to hear opinions from those that have used it as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
I've gone down the ST400 Campingaz with an oblong griddle to cover both rings with a silicon sheet to replace the heavy Cadac BBQ , not used it in anger yet so review to follow .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've tried umpteen Gas BBQs, including Cadac, now in the skip

Bought Weber Q 1200 series.. and it really is the bees knees. It comes with a small gas disposable canister, but that can be changed to a hose, regulator and gas bottle of your choice..
I use a 5kg Calor Patio gas bottle as it's big enough to last a while but easily carried to the beach or wherever ... It could be used with a BBQ gas point but I'm not a fan of them..

Cooking with the lid closed it cooks like an oven.. have done pizza, bread, pies etc .. roasted a full chicken, joint of meat etc..

Not cheap but nothing Weber makes is cheap.. but as you would expect, it's fantastic quality .. and IMO worth every penny ..

All cast aluminium with a stainless steel burner.. with a cast iron girdle.. so no rust.. cast iron girdles hold heat and cook much better than a cheap wire girdle..

cheaper barbies use mild steel for both body and burner that soon rust away..

Whatever you decide.. check the quality.. s/s and ally construction, with a cooker hood, and cast iron girdle.. anything less is compromise.

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/weber-q-series

Last edited:

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Yes that's the one good price you want regret buying weber they really Google quality (y)(y)

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Bought one of these for our hols this year ,
Enough space to cook for 4 -6 people ,compact ,you can even take it to the beach,lake or where ever ,it makes great bacon but ties with the plate .

No leads to worry about ,a bottle lasts 5 to 6 meals I've had gas Barrbies cadacs ,beauclaire and others .this ones so simple it's such good value for the money,my only gripe would be that the carry case is a bit flimsy.
Used it loads it can be striped down easily and washed at a campsite sink.

Vlad

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The Weber 'go anywhere' one isn't much different to the much, much cheaper one that I posted a link to, and you could have 4 of 'mine' for the price of one of the Webers and I can say from personal experienced that the cheaper one works very, very well!

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Oh I have had a charcoal one for 10 yrs and still as good as new also got the a q series and was thinking of getting the go any where for weight and space reasons ,I don't think it can be as bad as some of them reviews best go and look at it in the flesh .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Bought one of these for our hols this year ,
Enough space to cook for 4 -6 people ,compact ,you can even take it to the beach,lake or where ever ,it makes great bacon but ties with the plate .

No leads to worry about ,a bottle lasts 5 to 6 meals I've had gas Barrbies cadacs ,beauclaire and others .this ones so simple it's such good value for the money,my only gripe would be that the carry case is a bit flimsy.
Used it loads it can be striped down easily and washed at a campsite sink.

Vlad
Agree Vlad, we have an earlier model (below) made by Marksman and I was going to link to one when I posted the other links above but couldn't find one like it for sale now, the only one I could find was the Kampa version which seems a bit expensive.

OURS:
Marksman grill.jpg

KAMPA VERSION:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kampa-Siz...180046?hash=item489074348e:g:MYYAAOSwWfFXkPQ0

s-l400.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Kampa sizzle:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Our local Lidl had one of their own brand on runout for £30 a couple of days ago. Didn't have time to look in detail at it but might be worth a squint?

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
image.jpeg

Absolutely perfect , 10/10 . Brilliant piece of kit ! Bye bye CADAC.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
View attachment 121875

Absolutely perfect , 10/10 . Brilliant piece of kit ! Bye bye CADAC.
So basically a 2 burner stove with a griddle plate on ... or 2 frying pans, or a griddle pan and a frying pan ... or ... you get my drift!

In other words no need to buy a Cadac as most people don't use them as proper BBQs (ie with the wire grid) but as griddles (ribbed) or a flat plate.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
The weber is grate! I had one but too big to easily get into my lockers...had to take the lid off!

Sold it to someone on here for £50 :). With spending Winters in Spain now I wished I'd kept it :(.

Have a little Cadac Safari which is easy to use, stow, clean etc....do miss the Weber though :rolleyes:.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The weber is grate! I had one but too big to easily get into my lockers...had to take the lid off!

Sold it to someone on here for £50

yes, I take the lid off to store in the Hymer locker.. someone else on here (can't recall the name) made a single hinge pin from a bicycle mudguard stay..

and someone got a great bargain..

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Didn't they :cool:. I should have just kept it in the back of the garage! I can't believe the price of them now :eek:... I got mine from Argos on offer and it was £100 in 2013.

Bought mine here.. best price I could find.. £173.99

and yes.. expensive .. but long term it will work out cheaper.. buy a cheap gas barbie at say £50 and replace every other year ... been there , done that.. :doh:

but irrespective, what price do you put on cooking the perfect steak..? .. as they say.. priceless !

buy cheap.. you get cheap.. this baby will see me out ..

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
OOPs, I just found these scathing reviews on the Webber website !! Im surprised they let them on there !

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/go-anywhere/go-anywhere-gas-1

Did you see the review where they cost $45 in the States, got them in our local Dobbies for £89 :eek: I use the GoAnywhere charcoal, it's a good size and shape for carrying in the van and with a double layer of tinfoil in the bottom, you just wrap the ashes up when you're finished.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Did you see the review where they cost $45 in the States, got them in our local Dobbies for £89 :eek: I use the GoAnywhere charcoal, it's a good size and shape for carrying in the van and with a double layer of tinfoil in the bottom, you just wrap the ashes up when you're finished.

Also have a Go Anywhere charcoal.. had it for donkeys years .. love it, use it when I'm in the mood for being smoked out.. :LOL:

it's just less convenient than LPG ..

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Weber! a bit like Bromptons, some people just don't geddit ;)

We have a Weber Go Anywhere charcoal version ........... it's Brill

Son has the big Weber Kettle BBQ ............. it's Brill

So if you want a decent BBQ ............... WEBER ! (you know you want one!)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Thanks @scotjimland we are just buying a new house ............. I'm gonna get me a Q1200 for the yard :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back