Calor gas charges extortionate? (1 Viewer)

Is Calor justified charging such a high % compared to their competitors?

• Total voters

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Flog me... slag me off... take me off your Christmas card list... put me on your ignore list but...

I (or the attendant) fill my own Calor Lite bottle for around €9 a time at the local petrol station using an adaptor thingy...

I HATE Calor Gas and Camping Gas.

JJ :Cool:

Your approach seems to make perfect sense to me. What is the difference between a calor bottle with an adaptor so it can be re-filled and a Gaslow bottle? Obviously given the jist of your post people who do this must be considered some kind of Pariah and I'm sure people will respond with potential safety issues, but providing the adaptor is well made what is the problem. Does anyone know who sells them or how one can be assembled from available fittings?

Tinca

Deleted User
It's all about what is convenient for you personally - if you want to stay off hook up for unlimited periods, mainly not in the UK, then refillable bottles make sense. If you are UK based whether on EHU or off, Calor is dead easy to get - so you probably wouldn't bother investing in the refillable kit.

[HI]What's Calor work out at per Kw/hr ? How does it compare to domestic Gas & Elec prices? (No idea if you can work that out[/HI])

If any body is still interested here are some figures trawled from the internet.

Conversion factors seem to vary slightly so have used 1kg =2L and 1L gives 7Kw.hr

Which gives:-

Calor
6kg bottle........aprox 25p/Kw.hr
13............................15p/kw.hr

Flogas 6 Kg......................19p/Kw.hr

Autogas @ 70p/L..............10p/Kw.hr

Don't know how that compares with UK domestic tariffs cos we aint got none.

Leccy comes inclusive on most sites we use ::bigsmile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Your approach seems to make perfect sense to me. What is the difference between a calor bottle with an adaptor so it can be re-filled and a Gaslow bottle? Obviously given the jist of your post people who do this must be considered some kind of Pariah and I'm sure people will respond with potential safety issues, but providing the adaptor is well made what is the problem. Does anyone know who sells them or how one can be assembled from available fittings?

Tinca
with a proper user refillable bottle there is a float valve that cuts off at 85% so you cant over fill. this allows a space for expansion and gassing off, where the liquid in the bottle converts to gas before entering the regulator.

if liquid gas enters the regulator and so pipework, it can be extremely dangerous

dont forget though that calor and others get refilled by the company using similar equipment so with the right experience it is possible. just never be tempted to fill above 85%

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Tinca

Propane bottle filling adapters have been sold on ebay from time to time..

However, if you do buy and use you should be aware that Calor take a dim view of a third party refilling their bottles ..
Calor has taken successful court action against individuals for unauthorised filling and will continue to do so.” Broken Link Removed

You should also be aware that garage forecourt attendants have been instructed not to allow refilling of Calor bottles with Autogas.

I'm not making a judgement, just pointing out the 'legals'

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back