Calor gas charges extortionate?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by SandJ, Mar 29, 2014.

?

Is Calor justified charging such a high % compared to their competitors?

1. Justified

8.6%
  2. Not justified

70.0%
  3. Not bothered

21.4%
  1. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

How can Calor justify their high price of a 6kg Propane gas bottle? It is £20.75 for 6kg yet only £27.25 for a 13kg :Eeek: if the majority of Motor-homers/caravaners used 6kg then would they be protesting about it? Or do you just accept it?

When you compare the Calor 6k lite which costs even more then :cry:

What about competitors? Let's have a look:

6kg Propane
    Calor = £20.75 http://www.calor.co.uk/shop/gas-bottles.html
    Flogas =16.28 http://www.flogas.co.uk/cat/21/flogas-gas-cylinders
    Gas cylinders uk = £16.00 http://gascylindersuk.co.uk/shop/index.php?search[keywords]=6kg&_a=category

There is no justification for this, is there? Your thoughts :thumb:

2. mentaliss

mentaliss

Forget Calor...go for refill , Gaslow, Gaslit, AutoGas,...Dont be held to Calor gas ransom:thumb:

• Like Like x 4
  3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

When we had our previous van there was little we could do but put up with Calor as there was no there supplier near us. One of the first jobs we had done on the Burstner was Alugas installation.

• Like Like x 2
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I recently bought a 15kg butane bottle for the BBQ, it is now £34.99 , about £1.16 lt .. so the bigger the bottle the lower the unit cost ..

Once upon a time Calor was a British company.. it's now owned by the Dutch .. so blame them..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Daedalus

Daedalus Funster

Calor high prices

As has already been said - forget Calor, have a refillable system fitted, makes a lot of sense as can be topped up (almost) everywhere:BigGrin: So I for one am not bothered what Calor wants to charge as I'd never go back to using Calor bottles.

Daedalus

6. karl c

karl c Funster

Have a fixed tank on the RV so just have to top up when filling up at garage, last top up was £4.50 not hard job.:Smile:

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

In defense of Calor's prices you can buy a bottle in just about every corner of the UK..including the most far flung Scottish Islands.. and it will be the same price as the mainland .. places where you won't find Autogas or Flogas..

Distributing to all these remote areas must be very expensive.. Do Flogas service these remote areas or just stick to profitable outlets.. ?

An LPG bottle, irrespective of size, costs the same to fill (not including contents) , test and maintain.. so the smaller the bottle the higher the unit cost of the gas.

The question was does that justify Calor charging more than Flogas.. ?

If you are camping on Mull, run out of gas and there is only a Calor outlet.. no Flogas, do you pay or go cold..? You pay and are very grateful you can find a any gas at all.

The poll doesn't have a 'don't know' .. so can't vote.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 8
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

tough call, answering against the flow, but Calor stand against their competition, great points put above already, the cost to collect, check cylinder, refill time, check valve, redeliver, allow profit for retailer, plus the cost of the gas, I actually do not see how they do it, before you even consider the remote locations

As for comparison to size, this really is the same across all commodities, I often wonder who buys the half size tins of Heinz baked beans for a couple of pennies less than a full size tin

and we all have a choice to move on to fixed tanks, the only real debates for / against fixed tanks I see on here are convenience first then payback, I guess the price of bottles is not that high yet or we would all have changed

• Like Like x 5
  9. catspyjamas

catspyjamas Funster

As 6kg lasts me for the best part of a year I am not too bothered by the prices :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  10. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

Jim you do raise some good points but if you compare being delivered to far away places then if postage costs to them places are higher then one could argue that would justify Calor charging more. I would presume many items cost more in them locations due to supply and demand. If there is one major supermarket there then would all prices be the same as a supermarket that had 3 other local supermarkets close by? You could say the same for fuel, is the fuel cost the same in a petrol station miles from anywhere as it is in a busy town? I am not saying it should be higher just the fact that if other things are higher then!

It costs the same to fill and deliver a small or a large bottle excluding gas cost is correct except for the extra weight effecting delivery cost, yes I know only a little for a delivery, but add many bottles and many deliveries and it does add up. So does that point justify Calor charging the more for a Calor lite? It costs the same to fill and it is cheaper to deliver but costs on average £2 more :Eeek: As Calor do not have the price for the lite then how do you know what you should be paying? It is nearly 50% lighter :Eeek: All others except large bottles are priced so why not lite?

http://www.calor.co.uk/shop/gas-bottles.html

Thanks all for your comments so far, I am well aware of the self fill tanks or bottles it is related to costs for bottle empty for full exchange cost. I will when the time is right probably get self fill. :thumb:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  11. makems

makems Funster Life Member

Calor aren't the biggest bandits around.
    Consider the cost of a camping Gaz 907 cylinder refill. £30 at halfrauds, 80p in Morocco YES, EIGHTY PENCE!
    Of course it's not Camping Gaz but it's butane in the same size, same colour cylinder. And you can get those cylinders in even the smallest village in the middle of the mountains or the middle of the desert at the same price.
    You can buy the cylinder itself for £4 in Morocco versus £40 plus in the UK
    So a new cylinder full of gas in UK £70 ish Morocco £4.80
    Some difference!

• Like Like x 4
  12. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

We'll it is a free market and people are at liberty to vote with their feet. Calor's pricing model must work as they are still in business and still distributing. Clearly they have considered their pricing , distribution and network against the competition and decided to go with what they have. If it was not the right model, then they would soon change it but it seems that they are doing OK with it. They are certainly aware of their relative pricing but either through apathy or lack of choice they are selling.

Same in my business - we have a global service and where the competition aren't strong we price accordingly, or with a fixed price global contract, the remote areas like Nakhodka and far flung Chinese ports are taken into account and that is reflected in the overall pricing.

There is plenty of competition out there - I use a fixed tank (previously had Gaslow) mainly for convenience and can fill up cheaply but will never get my money back on the investment.......

• Like Like x 1
  13. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Good point......

Dual 11kg Gaslow system with auto changeover and euro adaptors almost £600 plus fitting.

Autogas around 70p/L

Calor 13kg/26.37L.....104p/L

Calor 6kg/12.17L......170p/L

So save 34p/l.......need to buy around 1765L/870kg to break even or 67 x 13 kg bottles.

The 6kg refillable seems to offer better value at around £140 so would break even after 12 bottles.

I know that there are other reasons for using these systems but the financial aspect does not add up for me especially as there are alternative , cheaper suppliers.

Depends very much on usage and possible bottle size of course.

My figures based on propane density of 0.493kg/L

Figures open to correction !!:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  14. JJ

JJ Funster

Flog me... slag me off... take me off your Christmas card list... put me on your ignore list but...

I (or the attendant) fill my own Calor Lite bottle for around €9 a time at the local petrol station using an adaptor thingy...

I HATE Calor Gas and Camping Gas.

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 3
  15. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

My primary reason for a change to Autogas was a weight reduction, its an added bonus that I now top up once a year for what I regard as a stupidly low sum. I was also fed up of the higher charges by Calor. I will never make my money back though.

I take Jims point seriously, its the same argument or Royal Mail pricing or BT telecoms, they have to go everywhere, and you can always seem to get Calor everywhere in the UK. Virgin would not come to us less than 100 meters off the main road where there main fibre is, even if I paid extra.

16. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

:cry:

I've got to replace my 907 this week :Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  17. mentaliss

mentaliss

I fitted my GasLow R67 bottle system, (latest safety design) too meet the French new requirements of their safety standards for under £350:Smile: were touring in Spain right now..no sign of Calor Gas anywhere!!

18. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Just going off Gaslow's website and I appreciate that I did use the most expensive system as an example but you would still have to buy over a 1000 litres or aprox 40 bottles to break even.

I do not have any experience of gas usage when staying mostly off hookup but even 40 bottles seems a lot,presumably you have the system for convenience when touring abroad.

I obtained a Spanish bottle a few years ago and propane is currently around €17.50 for 11 kg or around 80c(67p)/L.

We stay on site and the last bottle has lasted over 12 months.:Smile:

19. sedge

sedge Funster

It's all about what is convenient for you personally - if you want to stay off hook up for unlimited periods, mainly not in the UK, then refillable bottles make sense. If you are UK based whether on EHU or off, Calor is dead easy to get - so you probably wouldn't bother investing in the refillable kit.

What's Calor work out at per Kw/hr ? How does it compare to domestic Gas & Elec prices? (No idea if you can work that out)

20. wingman

wingman Funster

Can you swap an empty 6kg Calor propane cylinder for a Flogas one then?
    (I trust the fittings are the same screw type).