Calor adaptor to allow LPG filling (1 Viewer)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

:Eeek::Eeek: Chinese before I leave !! :Eeek::Eeek:

You've done it now you'll have the pc brigade after you as well :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
ROFL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Of course I MEANT a small Chinese in the armour of my well being brought on by too many teas and chips ! :roflmto:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
As usual you are blinded by greed with your narrow responses.

I will repeat "With these knocked up adapters do you have any form of recourse on the supplier if it does go wrong? I doubt it. Your insurance company would have a great let out if it went wrong and what would be worse is anybody was injured in an incident then the claim would be straight to you."

Think about it
Nothing to do with greed :Eeek:Just simple common sense-- Point me to one indecent of them going wrong !!!!!!!:thumb: They have been around a long time especially on the continent- plenty of incidents of gaslow etc leaking :Eeek:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
the valve on the bottle has to be closed down whatever you do ...do you think you can connect to the regulator without doing so ?
but presuming you are not standing there with a lighted match the worst that will happen if you forget is some chilly fingers , it's not volatile like petrol vapour !

many years ago I left a bottle at the taxi station in athens to be filled ; when I got back I checked that the guy had put in the volume I wanted [ I had written it down for him ]
I forgot he said , filled it to the top ; so he undid the valve and sprayed propane right across the filling station ! always done it myself ever since!

have none of you ever tried to light a gas blowlamp at full pressure ? ....devil of a job

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Nothing to do with greed :Eeek:Just simple common sense-- Point me to one indecent of them going wrong !!!!!!!:thumb: They have been around a long time especially on the continent- plenty of incidents of gaslow etc leaking :Eeek:
terry

i have not even used up my very first bottle yet, came with van but i will now go and buy one of this adaptor (EVIDENCE BASED CONCLUSION)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just a quick report to let you all know that I am back from the latest highly dangerous mission impossible and am safe...............

Yes, popped to the local garage and filled up my two bottles again ready for the coming weekend ! :winky:

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Have been umming and arghing about these adaptors or to go Gaslow. Has anyone used this one Link Removed ?

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
heres a couple of pics of ours with the adapters.
and the countries that each adapter can be used all taken from the instructions that came with my adapter.

austria 3
belgium 2
croatia 3
denmark 3
france 3
germany 2
greece 3
holland 1
ireland 2
luxemburg 2 (1)
norway 3
poland 2
portugal 3
slovenia 3
spain 1 (60mm) 3 not for private car use
sweden 3
switzerland 1 (2)
uk 1
this given type is the most common used in the particular country.

Link Removed i got mine from off ebay ive had a look but he is not selling any at the moment but it might be worth emailing him

gregm give they guy i got mine from an email :Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
No contest on Safety, price and useability, an adapter every time. I Note the one you list even has an EU safety number quoted.

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Looks good to me.. proper bit of kit , agree with wildman :thumb:

As a novice in this area I am wondering what the 'dish' bit is for, ie the one tommytli listed doesn't have the 'dish' although looking at the ebay listings they are both manufactured by the same people. caravan-gasadapter.com

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
As a novice in this area I am wondering what the 'dish' bit is for, ie the one tommytli listed doesn't have the 'dish' although looking at the ebay listings they are both manufactured by the same people. caravan-gasadapter.com

not 100% but it looks like one of the euro adapters that i paid extra for

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I know exactly what it is for !

Stops the small discharge when uncoupling from freezing your bits off

Anyone who has an LPG car will know what I am talking about ::bigsmile:

That looks like the poshest coupling in the world !! Most excellent bit of kit :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nope.. I lied !!! Sorry.. Thought it was a splash protector but it aint ! :Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

It's called the French claw adaptor... used in France , Potugal and a few other European countries

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
well jim it is actually called the italian cup [ their design ] , or has been for the last 25 years

how much per litre is it to change a big bottle of calor propane in the uk; the gas industry managed to get this refilling banned in the USA in 2002 , much more profitable to swop cylindrers and sell , get this ,DISPOSIBLE propane cylinders

you don't think calor will be offering inducements to a few MP's to get it banned here perchance

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
well jim it is actually called the italian cup [ their design ] , or has been for the last 25 years

well, what's in a name, I've always known it as the Claw adaptor .. as it fits the 'Claw' filling gun.. as opposed to the UK bayonet filling gun

How it's described by one vendor
This filler adapter will convert a fixed Bayonet type filler to fit the “claw-gun” type filler gun, found in many
European countries i.e. France, Italy.

The Claw Gun may also be found in areas of the following countries:-
Greece, Hungary, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, Norway, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, Poland.

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Thanks, I have ordered one tonight.

If I can't get on with filling at the pumps at least little lost compared to the full Gaslow system. :ROFLMAO:

echo 432

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
UK
Funster No
Exp
since 2005
Terry's info re filling the gas bottle

:winky:
hi everybody,
I just sneaked in (as you can tell I own an old compass caravan - rather than a mh - and here is where my question comes in: I use my van a lot during the winter, and came across this today; so I am quite keen to get one of those adapters. Only, if I went to the garage with my van in tow (bottle on board) that would be a bit silly - also during winter I need refills more frequently than I move sites if that makes sense. If I go to get a replacement bottle I just put the bottle in my car and go to calor dealer. So the question is, can I do that and fill empty bottle standing in my car, e.g. in fron of passenger seat or behind driver's seat? Is it important that it is upright? Anything else to look out for? Many thanks!
Echo:winky:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I always take the empty bottles to th egarage in the boot of the car..
Upon arrival at garage, take bottle out of boot and place on floor.
Fill up.. put bottle back in boot and go pay for it :Smile:

When I first started using an adaptor I was really unsure so did silly hiding thingy's :Blush:

But pretty soon it became obvious that the garages did not give a toot as long as I paid for the gas ! ( I think the turning point was when I went to pay for 11 litres and the till cha said... ' Oh gas bottle was it ?.. Can always tell cos they all seem to take the same' ::bigsmile:

Apr 30, 2010
Reading
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Returned 2010
the valve on the bottle has to be closed down whatever you do ...do you think you can connect to the regulator without doing so ?
but presuming you are not standing there with a lighted match the worst that will happen if you forget is some chilly fingers , it's not volatile like petrol vapour !

many years ago I left a bottle at the taxi station in athens to be filled ; when I got back I checked that the guy had put in the volume I wanted [ I had written it down for him ]
I forgot he said , filled it to the top ; so he undid the valve and sprayed propane right across the filling station ! always done it myself ever since!

have none of you ever tried to light a gas blowlamp at full pressure ? ....devil of a job

I would add that whilst petrol requires approx 1.6 volumes of air to reach its LEL (Lower Explosive Limit) LPG is rather explosive too as it only requires 2 volumes of air to reach this point, - natural gas requires 5 volumes of air. As LPG is heavier than air it will fall to the ground and can enter drains and be carried in a drainage system - hence it is not permitted to install any LPG burning appliance below ground level. Petrol will evapoprate and the vapour will rise.

I would treat any LPG escape/loss with a great deal of respect, the below link is one we were shown during a gas training course & whilst it is a little dated it does illustrate the explosive power of Propane.

Just be careful whilst playing

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf3WKTwHpIU[/ame]

Regards

Arthur

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup.. have to agree

Filling gas bottles is dangerous and should be done with the greatest care..

Mind you.... I doubt 11 litres going poof would have the same effect as 30,000 gallons of the stuff ! ( Still bad enough to wreck your P and J though !!! )

It is also worth noting that if it was that dangerous we would not be allowed to fill cars up with it ..
Filling a bottle with the correct adaptor is exactly the same as filling a car..
Do try and buy an adaptor with a one way valve fitted.. Much safer and good for peace of mind

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back