Calor adaptor to allow LPG filling (1 Viewer)

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
Good evening:thumb:

Is this the correct filler adaptor to allow a orange calor bottle to be filled with LPG.

Has anybody bought this type of adapter or from this seller before??

Link Removed

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
My hubby thinks it might not be 100% safe as the cylinders are supposed to have an 80% cutoff and this probably wouldn't allow it. but don't take our word for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
That will certainly do the trick - not sure about the hand tight bit though... There is quite a bit of mechanical advantage when locking the filler gun and I would prefer to have my adapter 'spanner' tight IMHO

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Mine has worked fine for several years,even though its not the "soper deluxe"model, but then again it wasnt the "super deluxe"price either.
I use it at the unmaned filling stations,paying by Visa as I think there are problems with filling station owners.

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
Good evening:thumb:

Is this the correct filler adaptor to allow a orange calor bottle to be filled with LPG.

Has anybody bought this type of adapter or from this seller before??

Link Removed

Would be interested in this method myself...I think if you adhere to rated amount when filling and only fill when bottle is EMPTY....main thing it's got to be a big saving in the long run:thumb:

OP
OP
markymark

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Exp
When filling the bottle it would be secured in the gas locker in the up right position. None of this sticking it in the cars back seat and covered with a blanket to hide it.
I have never filled or seen the filling process happen so am not to sure how keen the shop staff will be. Is it just like petrol pump and starts when you lift gun?
I would only intend to use it in France if we ran out but would like a couple of practice runs in the UK prior to our departure.

I agree Autoquest, hand tight seems a little loose for my liking and would prefer to use spanner.

I believe if you have a 7Kg Calor bottle you mutliply by 2 to get the amount of LPG litres you can safely fill up with. in this case, 14L

Please correct me if i am wrong:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This particular adaptor worries me, .....

An O ring isn't normally used between the sealing face of an adaptor or regulator and the bottle valve.. so why have they done this ?

I suspect that it was cheaper than having the adaptor machined accurately to the correct contour .. or they added the O ring later as it was poorly designed and was leaking.

Either way I wouldn't buy it ..

Just my opinion..

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I would only intend to use it in France if we ran out but would like a couple of practice runs in the UK prior to our departure.
Please correct me if i am wrong:thumb:

You'll find it a bit difficult in France, they use a totally different filler.

OP
OP
markymark

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Exp
Cheers Jim thankyou:thumb:

Glad you picked up on that as i dont have a clue, can see what you mean tho.

Can anyone point me to a current one for sale which does not raise any concerns?

Is there any video footage of the filling process? Looked on utube and it was all about camping cartridges.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
IMV I would be extremely unhappy to use this to fill a bottle at all, whether that bottle was a 'kosher' self-refillable or a supplier-refillable type.

We have a Gaslow bottle with a fixed filler point just inside the gas locker door. Attaching the nozzle to the filler point can be 'interesting' as not all gas pumps are that user friendly, depending on how well they are maintained and/or worn, so sometimes it gan be a pain in the bum. The gas going through the pipe to the bottle puts a lot of pressure on it which is very apparent when removing the nozzle at the end of the fill so you would need to make sure that the attachment is very securely fixed to the bottle before you commenced filling, you'd then have to remove it to re-attach the bottle to the motorhome's gas system so it would be more 'pratty' that a recognised and fully fitted system like Gaslow etc.

With this method, I certainly would NOT attempt to fill the bottle whilst it was in my gas locker - if something went wrong I don't think the insurance company would be too willing to pay out as it is not, as far as I can see, a recognised way of doing it. Another question is what guarantee do you have that the attachments has been fully tested by the manufacturer? The chap selling it has used it apparently and has therefore decided to start selling it, but he doesn't tell you who manufactures it, so you can't research it to make sure it has had the necessary testing done for the purpose for which it is being suggested or what guarantees come with it. I'm not suggesting that he's telling anything but the truth, but gas is not something I would want to take a risk with so I would want to check out the ins and outs of it for myself so I could make an educated decision.

As for knowing how much gas is left in your bottle prior to filing, this is just guesswork, calculated maybe, but guesswork nonetheless. If you put too much gas in you would be asking for trouble so the tendency would probably be to err on the side of caution ... but how much is the problem.

Having been in a motorhome with a gas leak which caused a 5ft 'blowtorch' to come out of a cupboard (I kid you not!), I have the greatest of respect for gas!!!

My advice is therefore to think of how 'comfortable' you would be with this, taking into account any possible associated problems/risks, and then make your decision.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can anyone point me to a current one for sale which does not raise any concerns?

The closest to that request is Gaslow ( and any competitors out there ) that have an automatic over-fill cut off valve using a float just like your toilet. Any manual ones relay on you not making a mistake and wiping yourself and some surrounding campers off the face of the earth.

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
New Adaptor ...

Hi, the 'deluxe version' is manufactured by the same co as the std version. It comes with full instruction booklet, is threaded for the Euro adaptor (£6.99 ebay) and offers much easier transfer if you are doing several bottles.

It works a treat and I got the cost back in filling up the first couple of bottles:Smile:

Regards Richard

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
i use 1 like this all the time, pretty much the same but with a nut for a gas spanner.
when i go to fill it i leave bottle in the locker attach my adapter before i go to the petrol station and fill up whilst in the locker, never had a problem. when i bought ours i also bought the 3 extra adapters so you can use it through europe

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Having spent £££ £££ on a van why would you try to save a few pounds on calor gas by filling a bottle in a way that could be a danger and risk anything?If you survived a problem but caused damage I do not think your insurance would cover you

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Been using one for ages.. Know of more and more people using them ( note..I KNOW people who use them.. not know of a man who's brothers hairdresser said he used to know someone who might have had one .. So no myths, no nasty hearsays,, no guessing, no I thinks... just reality and factual reference :Smile:

They are as dangerous as anything else..

A car is dangerous.. a ladder is dangerous, a pencil is dangerous and a keyboard can be lethal.. Fortunately filling a bottle safely is far easier than using any of the above instruments so providing you stick to some fairly rudimentary rules there should be no issues at all

You always make sure the bottle you intend to fill is completely empty ( once a bottle stops delivering gas to me I leave the tap wide open until it is time to be filled )

A 6 kilo bottle should be filled with 11litres of LPG ( I personally do not bother to be exact but for safety err towards lower.. So usually about 10.5 to 10.8ish ltrs )

Never fill near an open flame ( might sound like a daft one but better to SAY it than not.

Remember, every day all over the UK the same pumps are filling up LPG tanks on cars.
Same filling attachment, simply a different container !

I use several different garages to fill up at..
Never once had an issue

The govt certainly would not have an issue because the tax percent on automotive gas is higher than on non-automotive stuff

The first time I filled up at the local garage I actually hid behind the van .. Same concern as a lot of others !!.. Went in to to pay and the chap said 10 ltrs mate ? Filled up a bottle then ?

Yup

Thought so .. we get loads in from the caravan site up the road

So there you go
I am sure there will be garages that will not approve, as some places employ peeps who either like to show off their supremacy ( !! ) or interpret rules to suit their own beliefs ( Sainsburys here in Thetford will not allow me to fill my 4 gallon jerry can with petrol for the geny for instance !! )

OP
OP
markymark

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Exp
I am the same as you Dave and just want something that people have used and can reccomend as safe to use.
If you find anything Dave can you let me know as i have to get some kip now as up at 5 for work.:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Mine is VERY similar and is identical to the one Richard ( ex-Village Guitars on here ) uses

Both of ours ( and indeed that one you link to ) have one way check valves.

Realistically they are as same as any filler used on LPG cars providing reasonable and sensible basic precautions are stuck to ( as laid out in my previous post )

The older ones very often did not have a one way valve fitted and while still safe you did have to remember to shut off the tap before releasing the nozzle ( again a simple thing but best pointed out ! )

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I dont think using one of these adapters is anything to do with pennypinching.
Its more to do with conveniance.
It just happens to be a bonus that you can pay for itself in a very short time.
We also use it to fill up the BBQ bottle that we use at home.
If anyone finds it dangerous to use or cannot fathom out how to do simple arithmatic to fill a gas bottle I have serious doubts as to there ability to drive a motorhome,let alone use its appliances safely.

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
heres a couple of pics of ours with the adapters.
and the countries that each adapter can be used all taken from the instructions that came with my adapter.

austria 3
belgium 2
croatia 3
denmark 3
france 3
germany 2
greece 3
holland 1
ireland 2
luxemburg 2 (1)
norway 3
poland 2
portugal 3
slovenia 3
spain 1 (60mm) 3 not for private car use
sweden 3
switzerland 1 (2)
uk 1
this given type is the most common used in the particular country.

Link Removed i got mine from off ebay ive had a look but he is not selling any at the moment but it might be worth emailing him

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 49
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 44
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 50

Big Ed

Free Member
May 4, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just been talking to a man from Calor gas who says its "highly dangerous" to refill Calor gas cylinders other than at the factory.
When each cylinder is refilled by Calor it is tested for leaks. There is a danger of overfilling the cylinder and a danger of leaks when making an unautherised connection to a gas cylinder.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just been talking to a man from Calor gas who says its "highly dangerous" to refill Calor gas cylinders other than at the factory.
When each cylinder is refilled by Calor it is tested for leaks. There is a danger of overfilling the cylinder and a danger of leaks when making an unautherised connection to a gas cylinder.
Did you realy expect the man from Calor to approve of you filling there bottles???.
Of coarse they will tell you that, theres NOTHING in the deal for THEM.:Doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Usual arguments against. so to answer a few points. It appears to me the "O" ring has been added to allow easy hand tightening. I prefer the nut (Std) adapter. ONLY empty bottles should be filled. ONLY empty bottles should be filled got it ONLY EMPTY Bottles. The 80% fill rate is marked in litres for each bottle size on the adaper. This method does not rely on a pressure valve to prevent overfilling it relies on you being able to read. (Pressure valves used on automatic systems fail at a rate of several a year) as long as you can read you are safe.
I have used these type of adapters for years and never been refused at a service station. My local station has no problem with me taking several bottles in the back of a pickup and filling the lot. follow the instructions and you CANNOT get it wrong.:thumb::thumb:
Savings on gas cost vary but are around 50% per bottle, three bottles pay for the adapter even if using the smallest ones.

Big Ed

Free Member
May 4, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Did you realy expect the man from Calor to approve of you filling there bottles???.
Of coarse they will tell you that, theres NOTHING in the deal for THEM.:Doh:
Yes of course they are going to say its "highly dangerous" if its perfectly safe.
See where you stand when it all goes wrong, I trust that will be your defence "theres nothing in the deal for them".
Better still why don't you ring Calor yourself?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back