Calling Mechanics HELP Im on fire!! (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Well not literally of course (although some may wish ::bigsmile::winky:)

Today I decided to sort out my brake problem :Doh:.

Since I have had the van the right side has squeeled (sometimes) and squeeked (sometimes.)

Thinking I have had this type of problem before I thought I would add some copper grease to rectify. I then got the Pads out too look at them and found pretty much as Brian (hilldweller) did. Pads with plenty of wear but practically falling apart. I therefore thought in for a penny in for (seemingly a few hundred) pounds. I purchased new pads and fitted them. Although things were slightly different to when I last carried out an opperation like this (about 1990) the principle seemed pretty much the same.
Ok so new pads on and nicely coppergreased up, problem now seems to be that the right hand side seems to be binding? :Sad: making a rather weird noise at very slow speed. However when running the van it is not pulling to one side, neither is it under braking, in fact it appears to brake rather well :thumb: The problem though is that after my run of about 1/2 hour, when I pulled up at home I had a lovely smell accompanied by a nice bit of smoke from the right hand wheel. :whatthe::whatthe::cry:

What have I done wrong?
do they need to bed in?
why o why o why? :Sad:

Fatalhud

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
19 Years on and off
It could be the piston sticking
usually when I have the pads out I will pump the brakes a few times (not to much) to expose the piston, then clean and lightly lube it

Alan H

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:Smile: Hi it sounds like you have a sticking caliper try pushing it right back then out again but I think you might need a new or s/h caliper :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Madmike

Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
Pickering
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 yrs
Well not literally of course (although some may wish ::bigsmile::winky:)

Today I decided to sort out my brake problem :Doh:.

Since I have had the van the right side has squeeled (sometimes) and squeeked (sometimes.)

Thinking I have had this type of problem before I thought I would add some copper grease to rectify. I then got the Pads out too look at them and found pretty much as Brian (hilldweller) did. Pads with plenty of wear but practically falling apart. I therefore thought in for a penny in for (seemingly a few hundred) pounds. I purchased new pads and fitted them. Although things were slightly different to when I last carried out an opperation like this (about 1990) the principle seemed pretty much the same.
Ok so new pads on and nicely coppergreased up, problem now seems to be that the right hand side seems to be binding? :Sad: making a rather weird noise at very slow speed. However when running the van it is not pulling to one side, neither is it under braking, in fact it appears to brake rather well :thumb: The problem though is that after my run of about 1/2 hour, when I pulled up at home I had a lovely smell accompanied by a nice bit of smoke from the right hand wheel. :whatthe::whatthe::cry:

What have I done wrong?
do they need to bed in?
why o why o why? :Sad:

Hi Haganap,
Sounds to me as if you have a sticking piston in the offending caliper. Unless you are happy to service the caliper yourself I should get a pair of new ones and just replace them. You will need to do them both sides as its not recommended to do just one. You get uneven braking as the efficiency of the calipers will different and will cause it to pull to one side.
Mad Mike

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
I was always told to file the edge of the metal backplate on the pads, just the parts that make contact with the caliper as the paint on these parts can cause the pad to fit to tight into the caliper. You should also clear any build up of brake dust on the caliper.

John

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hiya Haggers

You'll probably find that the pistons in your brake caliper are sticking (rusty) , not returning properly you will need to remove the pads again and clean them up with fine wet and dry sanding paper. To do this will mean depressing the brake pedal until the pistons are protuding from the caliper but be carefull not to pop them out completely and then when clean copper grease them.

OK mate :thumb:

Euramobilly

Free Member
Apr 6, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
Exp
30 years of old conversions and caravans- 5 minutes in this posh one!
Also check that the two 'sliders' are free to move in and out easily. The pads should be a nice free fit in the caliper bracket too. Before you condemn the caliper check it with the bleed valve open to eliminate a (rare) collapsing brake hose. Good luck!

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
well, I have had the offending caliper off, I have checked over and lubricated both pistons, I have cleaned all in sundry, I have placed them all back together, bled the brakes. and still I have the same problem:Angry:
The pistons are moving fine, the brakes work fine, however whilst on the jack turning the discs they seem to be ever so slightly catching the disc.
Im thinking just a flat spot thats catching and will wear away as time goes by and the discs cut together? :Sad:

scrapman

Free Member
Apr 13, 2010
paisley, scotland
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
3 YEARS
are they catching the disc all the way round or just a portion of the disc? if a portion you may have a warped disc which could cause overheating.this will not wear down but will get worse as heat is added. make sure the pads move back slightly after application of the brakes if not the pistons are still sticking.:Eeek:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
One general comment is, with the pads removed, to stick a tyre lever, even a large screwdriver, between the disc and the piston before you pump the brakes to get the piston moving. Otherwise, you could find the piston jams up hard against the disc, and it's b--- difficult to shove back in, as the art mistress said to the gardener.

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
hags, very slight rubbing is fine, for the brakes to heat and smoke the the wheel will be quite hard to turn, even when cold

Euramobilly

Free Member
Apr 6, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
Exp
30 years of old conversions and caravans- 5 minutes in this posh one!
As John says a slight rubbing is normal. In fact it's how the brakes adjust, they just touch lightly all the time. Front wheels (especially on a commercial) can feel heavy and don't spin that easily when on the jack. That's normal. Burning smells or smoking are not normal!

If you have changed the pads and made sure they are free to move in their seatings and you are sure the pistons will push back ok, try this while the brakes are still hot and binding (because they will often free off as they cool even though the fault is still present.) Don't touch the disc itself though because it could be hot enough to take your skin off...

Check that wheel is really stiff first then undo the bleed valve briefly. If this frees the wheel suspect a collapsing brake hose. If it doesn't, let it cool and remove the caliper. Check that the sliders I mentioned are not siezed. The sliders are not part of the caliper itself but are attatched to the caliper carrier. The bolts you undid to remove the caliper are threaded into the sliders. You can recognise them by their convoluted rubber covers. They should be free to slide in and out effortlessly. If not you can pull them out, clean and grease them. If after freeing and cleaning they have side to side movement you should replace the carrier complete.

Steptoe

Free Member
Jan 6, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
You seem to have had lots of excellent advice and done the job a lot more carefully than I would have done:RollEyes:

So just thinking at a tangent, are the wheel bearings ok? Admittedly they would have to be very bad to give disc wooble but you could certainly get binding & noise ( i speak from bitter experience of Fiat bearings on comparatively low mileage vans:Sad:)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Paul just to add to other comments are you sure the disc is not buckled/ warped ?
terry

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Well, after another inspection and another strip down it appears evident that something still remains not quite right. I have therefore decided to have the Discs replaced, and both sets of brakes and bearings inspected at my ever so friendly garage.

Just to point something out, there was a problem prior to the pad change which initially i put down to the pads needing a bit of copper grease, however, I now think it must of been something more terminal than I was able to ascertain so I think I will leave it to the pros.

should come in around the £300 mark to strip brakes, calipers, and replace discs.

money well spent IMHO. :thumb:

nothing worse than having your holiday ruined by a breakdown...... now watch the exhaust fall off next week:Blush:

thanks for all your attempts at help

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
All the above really! Just to add some easy instructions.

Pop pads out, take caliper off. Using a g-cramp/block wood or similar tool for stopping the caliper coming right out - get Mrs to GENTLY AND SLOWLY depress the brake pedal.

This piston will come out - you want it to come out a little - but NOT right out - or you will be bleeding brakes!

Get some fine abrasive cloth or paper and clean thoroughly, wire wool is good too. Smear some copper grease on thinly, and push the pistion back in. Using the tool and mrs, repeated the pushing out and in preceadure (DONT BE RUDE!!)

Reassemble and all should be right with the world. New discs will, of course make the situation worse - as you have an even greater distance to cover. If all this fails, and it keeps sticking, you need to either totally strip, or replace the caliper.

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I suspect that the binding sound is caused by the pads rubbing the unworn lip that forms on the outer rim of the disk. This was the case with my wife's Rover recently when I replaced the pads. New pads just made the problem worse because they had yet to wear down on their edges, not being exactly the same size, or being in a slightly different position in the calipers. Or, of course, it could simply be that your disks are warped.

New disks should solve your problems fully! Best of luck.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back