calling Burstner owners

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by movan, May 28, 2014.

1. movan

movan Funster Life Member

:Sad:Do you have problems going up steep hills?

I have the t680 and it is happening constantly... I dread going over the Derbyshire moors because if I don't have a good run up to a hill I know I am gonna be snookered.... I dread there being a car close behind me sometimes because I feel I may have to stop to go into first gear .. and doing a hill start is ridiculous in it .. I have to keep my foot on the break and rapidly put it on the accelerator to pull off as even the handbrake seems dodgy. It has passed it's Mot so everything must be ok.:Sad:

2. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

We have a T680 on a 3 litre Renault and it is a fantastic drive, would sit at 80 if I could afford the fuel :Smile: What engine does yours have ?
    Check the rubber hoses coming from the air filter to the turbo then to the intercooler, if they have split or come off, you will lose a lot of power.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Surely this problem is the base vehicle and has nothing to do with Burstner (much as I might like to knock them)

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Of course not, just use the appropriate gear. I doubt there are any needing first.

Give us a call if you are near these hills and I'll sit in with you.

• Like Like x 2
  5. movan

Thanks Brian, will do. You are only up the road arn't you. Even when I hill start in first gear on a really bad hill it is the same. The problem is that it doesn't happen a hundred percent of the time so it is frustrating. :Sad:

Re the:

Check the rubber hoses coming from the air filter to the turbo then to the intercooler, if they have split or come off, you will lose a lot of power.

I will take this as my Fix It Meet question for someone to show me these rubber hoses. Thank you.

:thumb:

6. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Don't forget that your clutch is a great brake if your handbrake doesn't hold you on a hill start. Hand brake on, clutch in, first gear, release the clutch slowly until you can feel it wanting to go, hit the accelerator and then release handbrake and go.:thumb:

7. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

got Auto so not a problem for this fella with only one peg....:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  8. movan

:Laughing:awwww Chris, you are so cute. Thank you. :thumb: but I have been driving since I was seventeen.... ... the problem is that it doesn't always hold the van and so I have to keep my right foot on the brake too (to avoid the van rolling back)... then quickly lift it off at the moment of bite on the clutch, and press the gas down heavy to make sure I go forward. . . .. even coming up the slope at Lady Heyes campsite I had to wait at the bottom of the slope till it was clear in front of me, then go at it quickly and just hope that when I got to the top the road was clear so I could keep going and turn onto it. I knew if I stopped I would start to roll back.

The prob is that next time I try the handbrake on a hill... it bloomin' works fine. And also, the next time I go up a hill I get up with no problem at all. It's the fact that it is intermittent that really annoys me..... :Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

No problem going up hills in mine, Burstner elegance I821 built on the fiat ducato, 3 litre 160 BHP fully loaded at 5 ton. Give me a shout if you want a tow up the hill. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  10. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Joy only wants to know what is wrong with hers not what is good about others

I can't mend it Joy but will watch on with interest this weekend while the 'real' men mend it for you :Doh:

See you on Friday :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

No hill problems with our Ducato 2.8 engine based van, Joy. Maybe the handbrake needs looking at?

12. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Is your van a female Joy? :thumb::Blush:

That would explain the inconsistency... (otherwise known as moods)... :hardhat::hardhat::hardhat: :BigGrin::Wink::RollEyes::Cool:

13. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

So what if it is Howie? And how insulting are one or two replies, talking to Joy as if she's a simpleton. And yes I know you shouldn't start a sentence with 'And' but it just fits. :BigGrin:

Ivy

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

To JOY: If I have inadvertently upset you with the feeble attempt at humour in my post, I humbly offer my apologies.

To you. How patronising that you think Joy is incapable of responding herself. You should also look at your signature...

To 'Fun': Goodbye...

Last edited: May 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Hi joy we have very close to same outfit as you and when in moroco even overloaded I never had a problem with hills and even over mountain sections on high atlases never had to use first gear for anything other than setting off

So either some thing is wrong such as fuel or air filters
    Or your driving style this I very much doubt as Elaine has only ever driven a car before the van and does not have much problem

Honestly our pulls very well even with trike on back this will mean us being about 4.4 tonne so get it checked over or are you going to bills fix it meet ?

16. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

We have a Burstner T680 like you with the 3.0 engine and it flys up hills.

We've even pulled a 2 ton Burstner caravan with it, had to shift down a bit more, but could maintain 60 without any problems.

[​IMG]

17. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

Oh so sorry I thought Joy asked do you have trouble going up hills. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Sorry if my post came across as patronising:Blush:

It's just that my wife needed reminding of holding the van on the clutch on hill starts in the van. On really steep hill starts I don't even touch the foot brake if I can help it.

19. movan

No, Chris... and in a way you are right... My handbrake definitely needs looking at as I don't normally have to touch the brake either .... but the loss of power when driving up steep hills is really annoying and could be dangerous if something behind ... I feel the power draining and no amount of pressing on the gas will keep it going ... I will ask someone to point out the rubber tubes this weekend and see if they loose or cracked. :Smile:

20. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 3