Calling Auto-Electricians

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by SWOOD, Jul 29, 2013.

1. SWOOD

SWOOD Read Only Funster

Hi folks. This is my first post. I've been reading the forum for a year or so, but I've paid my tenner today because I need help!
    I have a 1997 Ducato based Bessacar, and all the lights etc work fine on EHU. However, when parked on my drive, I have no internal lights/power whether I am on leisure battery or cab battery settings. I initially thought it was a flat leisure battery, but it doesn't work on cab either even though I know this is fully charged.
    Any suggestions before I put my hand in my pocket?
    Many thanks in advance
    Stuart

2. maz

maz Funster

I could be wrong as I don't know your van but I wouldn't have expected the hab power and lights to be wired to the cab battery as well as the leisure battery. So you may well be right with your diagnosis of a flat leisure battery.

3. SWOOD

SWOOD Read Only Funster

Calling Auto Electricians

Thanks for that. Pretty sure all lights were powered by cab battery before (but now you've got me doubting it)

4. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

Do you understand your panel fully? Perhaps it has some setting that disables the battery totally?

In any case, you should get a multimeter across your battery terminals to read the voltage. My guess is that the panel is broken (or has a switch in the wrong place) rather than being just a flat battery.

5. SWOOD

SWOOD Read Only Funster

Thanks, my gut feeling was that it's the switch. It's a very simple panel - cab/ehu/leisure, so can't go wrong really. I suspect the switch over to cab/leisure is somehow kaput.

6. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Stuat and welcome -check LB IS FULLY CHARGED-SHOULD READ AT LEAST 12.7V
    Is the control panel switched to hab/lb ? there is usually a 12v kill switch on the panel that turns all 12v off from LB.make sure its on -
    From the sound of it you can switch and charge both engine(cab) battery and LB -sometimes the rocker switch can be set in centre switching everything off :Wink:eek:ne way will charge engine batt and the other LB
    from what you describe I think your LB is goosed HENCE CHECKING IT.
    ALL YOUR LIGHTS ETC IN THE HABITATION SIDE USUALLY RUN OFF THE LB and the engine batt is just for starting-If your lights etc come on when on hook up it is sugesting that the LB is not working and the lights etc will be running from the charger
    hope I have made myself clear to you--if not get back, or someone will list things to check more clearly
    terry

7. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

It might be worth looking to see if the fuse by the battery is ok,

8. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Put it on hook-up switch to leisure battery and then put a volt meter on your leisure batteries.
    This will tell you if your on board charger is working and if your batteries are taking a charge.
    Should be around 14.4 volts going in. (The control panel should allocate power to the onboard charger and the 240 V systems).
    If you have a low reading 12.8 V or below it's an indication your charger is not working and needs to be fixed. Do this before replacing L.battery if Kaput!

9. movan

movan Funster Life Member

I'm a bit thick so this may be stupid answer..... can someone tell me if the split fuse has gone would this make this problem happen for this man?

(Sorry, just trying to be helpful.):Sad:

10. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Joy, I ASSUME YOU MEAN SPLIT RELAY ? no that could charge either or both -power to fridge and charge LB but would not cause the problem on it's own :Smile:edit only works when engine is running
    need to get answers to simple questions :Wink:
    Stu
    if not on hook up does anything in the rear work ? lights etc ?
    when on hook up what works?
    if anything is working on HU = THEN THE SWITCH IS OK AND THE LB IS GOOSED=THE LIGHTS ETC DRAWING POWER FROM THE ON BOARD CHARGER
    terry

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  11. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Some M/H have a 30amp blade fuse in a little black case thingee,near the leisure batt. Could be the fuse is blown.

12. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Take leisure battery off, fully charge it. Once fully charged, put a draw on it (use a 12v work light or similar 12v product) Now take a reading with the meter - go back in ten mins and check again. If it drops considerably, or you can watch it drain, then it is dead, you need a new one. If only a fraction down, then it will be good.

Cab battery options are often disconnected as people fear having a flat engine battery and don't want to have the emergency option. It could also be a faulty engine battery - but I think you would be able to tell that by a slow or non starting engine. If it has enough to start, it should turn at least one light on.

13. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    I had a 20 amp fuse go near the leisure bat on my previous Bessie worth a look. I had lost 12v power. Pete

14. Terry

Terry Funster

the way I am reading this is you have power to lights etc when on hook up but nothing works when off hook up ?IF thats the case it points to the LB rather than the panel
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

another possibility is the isolator relay that cuts 12v to the rear when the engine is running, has failed. worth checking anyway

• Like Like x 1
  16. SWOOD

SWOOD Read Only Funster

Thanks very much for the replies folks. I'll start with the easiest option, the fuse. Without sounding too thick, where is it? Is it in the glove box with all the others or does the LB have a special fuse? (1997 Ducato) Thanks again.

17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

the fuse should be close to the leisure battery, will be a blade type fuse and probably in a plastic/rubber housing.

just follow the positive battery wire back until you find it.

if it has blown, the question is WHY ?
    could be a fault or could just be age.

if a new one of the same value blows suspect a wiring fault somewhere....DONT put in a bigger one, its there to protect the wiring from overheating.

• Like Like x 1
  18. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

What model of Bessacar is it?

19. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

There are 2 possibilities here....

1. That is just a charger switch - set to charge either battery.

2. Switch lighting etc from leisure to starter battery - that's a pretty daft idea because one day you've no lights and can't start the engine.

20. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

not unusual Brian.

quite a few have the multi position switch to either charge (on ehu) or use (off ehu) the hab or leisure battery depending how the switch is, errr, switched :RollEyes:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013