Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
P1050031 - Version 2.JPG

Situation completely normal here in Italy, Truck doing 90, car doing 95, double white lines, corner coming up, oh yeah and Mercedes just coming round the bend towards our merry band of travellers at say 110. PS truck driver on his mobile.
Happy ending this time, one less bunch of flowers to decorate the roadside!!!

last blog:
http://slowponyblog.wordpress.com/2014/10/23/mv-matisse-new-zealand-to-panama/

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Much the same here in France. we reckon it's all down to spacial perception.
If the road is clear ahead then drivers can't work out how much space they have to overtake but if they can see the blind spot at the crest of a hill or the blind part of a bend then they think they can work it out.
We've had many a french driver sit close behind us on a straight clear road for many km then when they see a blind bend, crest of a hill or another driver coming towards them then they pull out to overtake and usually in too higher gear so the overtake is slower making it even more dangerous.
Hey ho, if only everyone were as perfect as me . . . .LOL

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Sissy !! :xrofl:
The Italian driving techniques scared the hell out of us too..

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My first thought was that you are a bit close to the truck :whistle::whistle:

OP
OP
ponyboy

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
My first thought was that you are a bit close to the truck :whistle::whistle:
Fair comment Gromett but the bugger, pulled in front of me tightly after overtaking me, must have been cos the other guy behind him was beeping to get by. Not sure - but staying on the campsite today to give my nerve endings a bit of rest!!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
View attachment 49878

Situation completely normal here in Italy, Truck doing 90, car doing 95, double white lines, corner coming up, oh yeah and Mercedes just coming round the bend towards our merry band of travellers at say 110. PS truck driver on his mobile.
Happy ending this time, one less bunch of flowers to decorate the roadside!!!

last blog:
http://slowponyblog.wordpress.com/2014/10/23/mv-matisse-new-zealand-to-panama/
I'm looking for someone like him at the mo as I have a car that I can't sell !
:xwink::xThumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Fair comment Gromett but the bugger, pulled in front of me tightly after overtaking me, must have been cos the other guy behind him was beeping to get by. Not sure - but staying on the campsite today to give my nerve endings a bit of rest!!!
That really irritates me when people overtake and pull in very close, then don't keep up their overtaking speed causing me to slow down to maintain the gap. Grrrr. :mad:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Italy is the only country I have had a crash in the MH! Old bloke in a Punto reversed into me, and claimed he didn't see me! Disturbing on too many levels :xangry:

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Oh, I thought that you had your dashcam on zoom so it just looked a lot closer than it was

OP
OP
ponyboy

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
Oh, I thought that you had your dashcam on zoom so it just looked a lot closer than it was
Dashcam was Mrs Ponyboy and the language out of her would have had to be severely dealt with in the editing suite if it was a video

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I must point it out the obvious, since people have focussed on you being too close to the lorry. How about the fact that it is clearly one way, and there should be no oncoming traffic! :xsmile:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If you really want to confuse a french driver that has been following behind you for ages on a road with many an opp. for overtaking, just put your right hand indicator on and slowly, very slowly, slow down.
As like as not they'll be still there when you come to a standstill.
The thought that you are 'helping' them get past is a new concept to many of them.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
We had an Italian coach driver a few years ago quite happily driving along on his mobile, no hands free, no head set, Courier said nothing!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
well we were thinking of Italy next year.......... maybe Spain instead.
dont feel that that will save you...... ALL Spanish lorry drivers have a special " Motorhome Magnet" attached to their trucks so that as you pass them they are attracted to the side of your vehicle......:xsurprised: its kinda scary :xangry: being squeezed closer and closer to the central reservation. :xdoh:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Italians seem to run on 100% ego, a few years ago I went to Italy on my BMW bike with Wife and our camping gear on board. We stopped at a Motorway toll gate and a Fiat Panda was next to us, I accelerated away normally and He took exception to being 2nd and floored the poor thing, I realised what he was doing and let him almost catch up then accelerated away a bit and he went mad, mile after mile that poor Fiat was thrashed, until I got fed up and slowed a bit and he went past then promptly turned off and went back from whence he had come. His BALLS demanded that his honour was upheld. That poor little car must have had a melted engine, my bike could do 120 loaded all day no sweat.

OP
OP
ponyboy

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
Italians seem to run on 100% ego, a few years ago I went to Italy on my BMW bike with Wife and our camping gear on board. We stopped at a Motorway toll gate and a Fiat Panda was next to us, I accelerated away normally and He took exception to being 2nd and floored the poor thing, I realised what he was doing and let him almost catch up then accelerated away a bit and he went mad, mile after mile that poor Fiat was thrashed, until I got fed up and slowed a bit and he went past then promptly turned off and went back from whence he had come. His BALLS demanded that his honour was upheld. That poor little car must have had a melted engine, my bike could do 120 loaded all day no sweat.
I laughed so much reading this - you're absolutely right of course AND i have seen a fair few flogged pandas around the place here. My wife and I now have a competition - the one who comments first each day on the poxy driving habits of the Italians - LOSES

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
How about the fact that it is clearly one way, and there should be no oncoming traffic! :xsmile:
Why is it "clearly one way"? Just at the start of the bend there is a circular road sign facing on-coming traffic. The only clear thing is the double white lines = no overtaking. If it was one way they wouldn't be there.:xblink:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Ninovan.
That circular roadsign was clipped by the overhanging blade of a dozer i was hauling while overtaking a school bus on this stretch. What AMAZED me,where the number of italians,coming the wrong way towards me !!!
Tea Bag aka Mr Magooo.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Why is it "clearly one way"? Just at the start of the bend there is a circular road sign facing on-coming traffic. The only clear thing is the double white lines = no overtaking. If it was one way they wouldn't be there.:xblink:
Because I am an arse and I was thinking of something else at the time. I meant that it was clearly marked with solid whites, so traffic shouldn't 'oppose' each other :xblush:

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
What I loved about driving in Sicily was that a vehicle coming the other way, even if they had to take evading action, would have expressed no frustration or anger. Here they would have sat on their horns flashed their lights and probably given the V sign. They are very skilful drivers, they have to be, they can't take anthing for granted even traffic lights.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back