Calis to Spain

Discussion in 'France' started by crabman, May 28, 2016.

1. crabman

crabman Funster

can any members tell me how to find Ayres and Moterhome sites for the route i intend to take above, my plan is to spend 5/6 months away this winter, i am new to MH so not clued up on the score

thanks in advance

crabs

• Like Like x 1
  2. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

Campercontact app,
    Park4night app,
    Aires books,
    Searchforsites website,
    FurgoVW website.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. jumar

jumar Funster

There are some postings on suggested routes and places to stop available by searching onFun, many are tried and tested and have been posted by very experienced Funsters. Happy searching and happy travels.

• Like Like x 1
  4. crabman

crabman Funster

thanks for your replies jumar and Boringfrog, i will check them out

• Like Like x 1
  5. namwaldog

namwaldog Funster

6. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Your route will depend on whether you want to spend on tolls or not and how quickly you want to get to your destination. I have placed in the resources section, Non toll routes for France and Spain. (Best toll and non toll routes France and Spain motorway maps)(I should have done a better job with the titles). Both these sites will provide you with all the information you need to plan your routes to your destination in France and/or Spain using toll and non toll routes or a combination of both.
    Tonka's route which is fine I.M.O. uses much of the famous N10 route you will find in the French download and is used by many people travelling to Spain in the winter. (Snow free)
    As for myself, I tend to do France in two days, driving on Sat & Sunday when the roads are more or less free of HGV's. First overnight stop at Chateaundun and second night just above Irun on the Spanish border. As you never gave your destination in Spain,I will go no further with stop over suggestions.
    Be aware, you can do almost all of the A63 from Bordeaux to Irun for free. Exit at Jct 18, rejoin at 17,exit at Jct 12 and rejoin at jct 8 and pay the last few tolls before crossing into Spain.
    Finally, consider buying All the aires Spain and Portugal (4th edition) if you want to keep your camping costs down to a minimum.
    Safe travels.

• Like Like x 2
  7. crabman

crabman Funster

thanks Philandmena i prefer to save on tolls so your route sounds good and i am in no rush anyway, and i have no idea where i willl end up in spain aa well, i am going to get the 4th edittion of the aires of Spain and portugal sounds good.
    regards

crabs

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Before you get the all the Aires books I would sguest looking at the campercontact app as suggested above. (Free)
    Another useful app is the via michelin app. (Free)

9. crabman

crabman Funster

gets better all the time lol thanks all,

10. crabman

crabman Funster

I posted about my planned trip to Europe starting September, had good advice from members, used to be one of the dirty rotten scoundrels driving HGV around Europe, now I got myself a Motorhome and want to see the tourist side of things, been searching for a satnav that will be up to the job, I read the reviews some say they have no problems others say they have terrible problems with them, Who has the best satnav for a motorhome I need to put in Height etc, I did ask about this before but I am nun the wiser regarding satnavs, in my truck I stuck to motorways so had no problems with low bridges or narrow roads, don't mind if its a Garmen or a TomTom just want it to do the job right, what say you members what's the best for me? or you

11. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I don't know what size your motorhome is but you most likely don't need anything too sophisticated on the sat nav front, if you want to see France or wherever just set to avoid tolls read the signpost for low bridges and weight limits and you won't go far wrong.

Enjoy.

Martin

12. crabman

crabman Funster

10 height MH, martin, trying to remember to look out for signs these days lol, I will have the roof off been a while since I gave up the HGV, remember I was on motorways and industrial estates, can see these days got glasses with lenses so thick they look re-entry shields :LOL::LOL:

13. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

I have the Tom Tom camper and caravan S.N. and it does it all. I am pleased with it's user interface and find it great on complicated jcts and it's reliability. My only gripe, is paying extra for map updates and live services and If I could get these free I would consider moving to another S.N. (You might be able to buy direct from Tom Tom with free lifetime updates but not certain).
    I have heard good things about Garmin and if I did move I would keep with one of the major S.N manufacturers, some of these cheap Chinese S.N. are ok until you try and update them.

14. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

The French CCI website provides free SatNav POI files of aires, service points and campsites all over Europe that are updated daily. Loads of info on aires and what users think of them too. I plan all our trips with it.

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/recherche.php

As you mention you're travelling south for the winter you might want to double check aire opening dates and whether or not their service points are working off season.

One I can recommend is Parc Futuroscope which is just off the Autoroute at Jaunay-Clan north of Poitiers. The parking area is open even when the park isn't, and there's a supermarket and MH friendly petrol station just round the corner. The parking area is massive so you never have to worry about finding a spot whatever time you arrive there. Height is restricted to 3.5m though.

15. crabman

crabman Funster

thanks Phil your right stick with the major SN make. I am still looking into it all,

16. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

We use a Tom Tom 1005 Camper Sat Nav with lifetime map updates. We haven't had any problems with it but it does sometimes take you a long way round.

17. crabman

crabman Funster

thanks denisejoe

18. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

Only trouble Tom Tom camper now discontinued

Joe

19. vwalan

vwalan Funster

you dont really need much get a michelin map of france . buy an aires book when you get over there . yes its in french but that makes you look in a dictionary . good for learning a language .
    avoid all main roads just use smaller ones .
    for spain and portugal look on amazon for a mapamax map book of spain and portugal.
    you can forget sat nav not needed and if you want adventure just hug the coast .
    visit any village you will find water and somewhere to stop the night . parking not camping . just dont empty things out and have chairs and tables outside . keep your eyes open for low bridge signs etc dont rush go as slow as you can and enjoy the drive .
    might even see you somewhere .
    mini artics rule ,hee hee.
    come on you dont need a sad nav .

20. Doobray

Doobray Funster

I use sygic truck with free map updates easily customised