firebladejim

Free Member
Jan 15, 2010
Barton Le Clay
Funster No
MH
Knaus
Exp
Hi guys, does anyone have any knowledge of these chargers? Mines an 18/20 model that will not charge when hooked up. Everything else is fine with the system and the engine charges the home battery when running, fridge works through it and all the readouts are correct. It simply doesn't charge on 240V Is there a dealer or any one able to repair or diagnose the problem for me?
Jamie:cry:

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Yup, happened to us. Its a known fault with the Calira unit and its to do with the capacitors on the main board burning out (we think ours was caused by using a cheap genny). We got ours replaced under warranty by Calira direct but there is a modification for the unit that replaces the capacitors with better quality/higher rated ones (I thnink its on www.knausowners.com) if its out of warranty. We sent ours back to germany and they sent us a new one.

I seem to recall that adding a small fan also helps to keep the unit cooler in conjunction with a temp sensor so the fan deosn't have to run continuosly.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
firebladejim

firebladejim

Free Member
Jan 15, 2010
Barton Le Clay
Funster No
MH
Knaus
Exp
Many thanx for that. Could be something to do with a genny as its been hooked up to my Honda genny when we're racing quite a lot. Just found the posts on the Knaus forum you speak about and it doesn't look good:cry:
Jamie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We have a Calira 38/20 in our van. When we first had the van just a short while we had the same problem with it not charging on 240V.

We managed to get hold of a reconditioned unit via a local dealership.

Since it was changed we have never had a problem, but they can apparently fail due to overheating.

I remember there was also a place down near Weston Super Mare who could recondition the units.

Link Removed

:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back