Calcination .. what does it mean exactly ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Came across this word in the Hymer manual about care of the Truma boiler..

what exactly does the following sentence mean ?

The boiler is protected against calcination if it is only used in maximum temperature position when a lot of warm water is used ..

Does it mean that using at a high temperature protects against calcium deposits .. i.e. scale forming ?

I think it's a translation glitch and it should read "calcium" .. not calcination..

Calcination definition in Wiki :-

Calcination

Authorities differ on the meaning of calcination (also referred to as calcining). The IUPAC defines it as 'Heating to high temperatures in air or oxygen'.[1] However calcination is also used to mean a thermal treatment process in the absence or limited supply of air or oxygen applied to and other solid materials to bring about a A calciner is a steel cylinder that rotates inside a heated furnace and performs indirect high-temperature processing (550-1150 °C, or 1000-2100 °F) within a controlled atmosphere.[2]

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think it means you will get less lime scale if you have the hot water temperature set low, that is "warm". It is heating water to higher temperatures which cause the calcium to come out of the water. This is the process I think they call calcination, or in our language, lime scale forming.

It makes sense at one level, don't have hot water and you won't get timescale. Not much use for a shower I think.

It is possible what they say is correct, in that if there is timescale flushing a lot of water through the system when the system is set to warm only might dissolve the timescale. I've not heard of that but it might work I guess. Carefully using a descaler would be easier.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Calcification
Build up of calcium
Aah but in the body tissue lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It means that your German wing mirrors will rust(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back